Personal Finance

Mysterious deposit in my bank account

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 24th, 2020 11:07 am
[OP]
Feb 22, 2020
1 posts

Mysterious deposit in my bank account

A few days ago I found a deposit above 7K in my account, but have no idea where it came from. Labeled as "online transfer". What should I do? What are the risks involved (not about spending from it)?
14 replies
Jul 3, 2019
713 posts
287 upvotes
It’s probably an error. Just call your bank and ask on Monday.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
19404 posts
4019 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Yep, I would definitely call my bank right away, report it, and be clear on getting the agent's name and ID number.

And I would record the call and keep it on file, for my own protection.
- Casual Gastronomist -
Oct 14, 2019
59 posts
291 upvotes
Caralho wrote: A few days ago I found a deposit above 7K in my account, but have no idea where it came from. Labeled as "online transfer". What should I do? What are the risks involved (not about spending from it)?
Ah, I wouldn't worry about it. Someone simply set you up as the fall guy for an elaborate money laundering scheme. No biggie.

Lol what do you think you should do? Smh
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2013
1146 posts
774 upvotes
I also received $5.00 at BMOIL. Called and they had no idea.
I asked them if there was a next time could they please add more zeros to the amount!
Mystery money is still in my account.
Nov 30, 2011
90 posts
6 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
i like this guy, he know what he's talking about
hvwkzq wrote: Withdraw all the money and skip town.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
33709 posts
19499 upvotes
Ottawa
Thank the Nigerian Prince.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
3159 posts
1761 upvotes
Edmonton
There is only a need to be concerned if money mysteriously disappears, not for money added.

I wouldn’t waste my time calling the bank. If it’s an error, they will find it or it’s to your benefit.
Dec 4, 2004
698 posts
699 upvotes
GTA
starchoice wrote: There is only a need to be concerned if money mysteriously disappears, not for money added.

I wouldn’t waste my time calling the bank. If it’s an error, they will find it or it’s to your benefit.
Not true. Knowingly keeping money that was deposited to your account in error is fraud. Show due diligence and report it to the bank as soon as possible.
Oct 18, 2009
113 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Buy 180 shares of AC.TO @ current value
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1379 posts
598 upvotes
Caralho wrote: A few days ago I found a deposit above 7K in my account, but have no idea where it came from. Labeled as "online transfer". What should I do? What are the risks involved (not about spending from it)?
I would call bank and report it or ask them to figure it out. You don't want your account locked for suspicious activity.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13189 posts
2537 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Online transfer? Obviously traceable. Contact your bank right away. Someone is gonna come look for it. A mistake. If you spend it - guess what?? They gonna take it from ur bank account anyway and potentially leave you in the red. Funny thing happened to me a decade ago. Checks totalling $4500 were sent to my address. Had my name and address. I could of cashed it but didnt as I did not recognize the sender. Contacted the bank and they contacted the sender. They said sender did not respond. The bank cancelled the checks just in case. Yup, so do the right thing instead of getting screwed later on. Now I think maybe the dude was a good samaritan or something as the checks did have my exact name AND address --> handwritten. Hmmm... Electric Light Bulb
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING