Travel

N95 mask with valve okay for air travel?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 6th, 2021 3:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9086 posts
2977 upvotes
Mississauga

N95 mask with valve okay for air travel?

I have the 3M N95 8511 mask with valve I want to wear on our very long AC flight. Wondering if they're permitted on aircraft. I read some airlines banned these type of masks.

Last edited by Raggie on Aug 29th, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
16 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2008
1568 posts
1342 upvotes
Etobicoke
Don't know what a N95 with respirator means. A N95 mask is a respirator.
Get one without a valve though

Like a 3M 8210
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9086 posts
2977 upvotes
Mississauga
I should say with the valve.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Personally, I would opt for a 95 or 94 series without a valve
As they are far higher rated against Covid

Winking Face Lol, unless you intend to leave it on continually, and use a straw for drinking

BTW … WHERE did you hear that an airline banned them
That makes no sense to me.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9086 posts
2977 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: Personally, I would opt for a 95 or 94 series without a valve
As they are far higher rated against Covid

Winking Face Lol, unless you intend to leave it on continually, and use a straw for drinking

BTW … WHERE did you hear that an airline banned them
That makes no sense to me.
Here's the Delta airlines link:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-plan ... face-masks
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22774 posts
21609 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Raggie wrote: Here's the Delta airlines link:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/travel-plan ... face-masks
Thanks for that.

Well looks like the one you want isn’t allowed on Delta
Or Air Canada either :

Link from Pearson with Transport Canada Guidelines = https://www.torontopearson.com/en/whats ... egulations
Effective masks and face coverings are necessary to prevent the spread of COVID-19. Information about the measures to stop the spread of COVID-19 is constantly evolving, including about what the most effective type of face coverings are.

In September, Transport Canada advised aircraft operators to prohibit the use of a number of types of face coverings, based on evidence of their ineffectiveness.

The face coverings that Transport Canada regulations do not allow includes:

* Masks with exhalation valves, also known as “vented masks”;
* Bandanas and neck gaiters;
* Militaristic masks such as gas masks; and
* Face coverings that cover the entire face.

Acceptable face masks are those that cover the nose and mouth and are properly secured to the head, which include but are not limited to disposable face masks; and reusable cloth face masks (including homemade masks) provided that it is made of a least two tightly woven layers of fabric, covers the nose and mouth and can be secured to a person’s head.

Passengers are reminded that a clear face shield is not sufficient as a face covering if worn on its own. Clear face shields must be combined with face covering that covers the nose and mouth.
Lol, got to say that by contrast … Delta has one weird list of ACCEPTABLE MASKING CHOICES :
Permitted Masks

* Disposable surgical or medical masks
* Cloth masks with tightly woven fabric (2 or 3 ply masks are recommended)
* Valve-free respirator masks (N95 or KN95)
* Fabric masks with a clear plastic window
* Gaiters with two layers (single layer gaiters should be doubled over)
* Plastic face shields or goggles may be worn in addition to a mask but are not approved mask replacements
Ya I will stick with Cdn Guidelines on Covid …thank you very much
Last edited by PointsHubby on Aug 29th, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 16, 2015
619 posts
1268 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Raggie wrote: I have the 3M N95 8511 mask with valve I want to wear on our very long AC flight. Wondering if they're permitted on aircraft. I read some airlines banned these type of masks.
No, because it has an exhaust valve that allows your unfiltered breath to be exhaled into the cabin. It protects you but not others.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2003
9247 posts
360 upvotes
Just double up with a surgical mask ontop
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9086 posts
2977 upvotes
Mississauga
PointsHubby wrote: Thanks for that.

Well looks like the one you want isn’t allowed on Delta
Or Air Canada either :

Link from Pearson with Transport Canada Guidelines = https://www.torontopearson.com/en/whats ... egulations

Lol, got say that by contrast … Delta has one weird list of ACCEPTABLE MASKING CHOICES :

Ya I will stick with Cdn Guidelines on Covid …thank you very much
Thanks for the Pearson info, didn't think to look there.
Jul 3, 2021
121 posts
83 upvotes
The valve defeats the purpose of the mask
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
9959 posts
7884 upvotes
Kootenays
Rfdinyyc wrote: The valve defeats the purpose of the mask
These masks were made long before Covid. They are for working in areas where the mask wearer wants protection from particulates. Exhaust doesn't matter in that instance and it's much cooler for the wearer.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 12, 2005
5114 posts
1735 upvotes
Mississauga
They're not allowed. The FA will stop you and ask you to put another one on (or provide you with a disposable one).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1773 posts
2818 upvotes
Canada, eh?
B0000rt wrote: Just double up with a surgical mask ontop
Yup if you do this you're fine. Been flying flights with it since I have a box unused.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17932 posts
12621 upvotes
Markham
Funny thing is airlines are handing out kits with masks and sanitizers etc but they hand it after the flight has already taken off. Why don't they give it out when you are going thru the gate where they check ID and scan boarding pass instead? So stupid as it's more work for flight attendants to walk the aisles and hand it out.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9931 posts
1879 upvotes
Montreal, QC
gr8dlr wrote: Funny thing is airlines are handing out kits with masks and sanitizers etc but they hand it after the flight has already taken off. Why don't they give it out when you are going thru the gate where they check ID and scan boarding pass instead? So stupid as it's more work for flight attendants to walk the aisles and hand it out.
I've only traveled 3 times since the pandemic started but every time they handed the "COVID amenity kit"when you board the plane (I've flown with AC and Delta). Depending on the airline that can be a full-on pack or just a mask + sanitizer wipes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9086 posts
2977 upvotes
Mississauga
Need good ones for our flight so I ended up ordering some N95 masks that look like KF94 made in Canada.
Jan 26, 2020
640 posts
155 upvotes
Canada
I bet this pandemic wouldn't have spread nearly as much if people focused on protecting themselves more and not others. Sounds self centered but our minds are wired like that. Of course we didn't have enough masks to make that work initially but later they didn't even focus on that. I cannot imagine being a vulnerable older person and going out without a mask that really protected me. I wouldn't jump out of plane with a parachute that opened 95% of the time. Why would I wear a mask that offers similar protection? Know the size of the virus and buy the right filter for your half faced respirator to stop it. Be sure. And wear eye protection. Don't take chances. Its only for when you're inside anyway. That doesn't have to be long if you're not working. Zip in, zip out. A few minutes. No big deal. Sure people will look at you strangely. Who cares? They might die. You won't.