• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2009 5:38 pm
[OP]
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham

N95 and Rogers data plan

I noticed this written on the N95 page on Rogers' site:
[QUOTE]Starting May 13th, data usage incurred using ineligible 3rd party applications (including embedded Nokia applications) on the N95, is subject to pay-per-use charges of $15/MB for the first 5MB, $10/MB for next 5MB, $5/MB for next 10MB and $0.50/MB thereafter.[/QUOTE]

I called Rogers about this, and they were kinda clueless. They told me that some Nokia apps and 3rd party apps will cause pay-per-use, but none of the rogers apps would.

Would I be better off getting an Iphone with my new plan? I'm more interested in 3rd party apps than Rogers apps.

Rogers is giving me 500MB of data in my retention plan:
200Min
500MB Data
Free after 5pm, unltd evenings and weekends
1000 texts
Caller Id
Voicemail
Total = $40
7 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
If you have 500MB it's plenty if you do not stream and watch YouTube all day long.
That plan for $40 is godly.
Jan 5, 2004
255 posts
3 upvotes
This can't be specific to the N95 - Rogers can't tell what phone you are using. Well, in theory they can but there systems currently don't give them this information.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7009 posts
1407 upvotes
BC
Unless something major is changing, this was a change made last may just in reference to the Unlimited mobile browsing option, and has no relation to mobile data plans.
[OP]
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham
Kwirky wrote: Unless something major is changing, this was a change made last may just in reference to the Unlimited mobile browsing option, and has no relation to mobile data plans.
So I won't get charged for Pay-Per-Use on the N95 if I use something like:
- Rss Feeds
- Youtube
- Gmail
- Shozu
- Last.FM
- Any third-party N95 App

So was that disclaimer only for the $7 Unlimited On-Device Mobile Browsing Plan?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7009 posts
1407 upvotes
BC
darius_m5 wrote: So I won't get charged for Pay-Per-Use on the N95 if I use something like:
- Rss Feeds
- Youtube
- Gmail
- Shozu
- Last.FM
- Any third-party N95 App

So was that disclaimer only for the $7 Unlimited On-Device Mobile Browsing Plan?
Correct; I've been using the 6GB plan on my N95 since August, and have never been charged anything extra. With a data plan, data is data, it doesn't matter what you're doing to generate it, but there has been a lot of discussion on howard forums regarding what you can get away with on the unlimited browsing option.
[OP]
May 20, 2006
602 posts
Markham
Thanks Kwirky.

Another question regarding firmware. Is it worth it to unbrand the N95-8GB?

Will I be missing anything besides the Rogers Apps?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
7009 posts
1407 upvotes
BC
darius_m5 wrote: Thanks Kwirky.

Another question regarding firmware. Is it worth it to unbrand the N95-8GB?

Will I be missing anything besides the Rogers Apps?
Haven't tried it myself as I'm concerned about voiding my warranty on such an expensive device, but I don't recall reading about anyone missing any other features after debranding in the RFD N95 thread or the HoFo N95 debranding threads