Expired Hot Deals

[NAD Electronics Canada] NAD HP70 Wireless ANC Headphones $249 (50% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2021 11:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
ThriftDealer wrote: I owned and loved my DT880s. Those were neutral. These cans are something else...
Dude, you comparing open-backed headphones to closed-back headphones... it's like comparing apples and oranges....
Aug 22, 2014
343 posts
167 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Simply put, I have too many headphones and ANC headphones thanks to RFD!

Not this time!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1225 posts
200 upvotes
Vancouver
How would this compare with the much raved about and budget priced Anker Life Q30 headphones?
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
artofwar wrote: How would this compare with the much raved about and budget priced Anker Life Q30 headphones?
I think these are different classes headphones altogether. The "lower class" headphones can work quite well too depending on your needs. I have also sets of MPOW H21 and Taotronics TT-BH090. Those are decent throw around headphones that I use for doing chores like cutting lawn or yardwork, and lately used for kids' school needs. They typically have more the "V shaped" sound profile. While they do have ANC, the quality of music tends to suffer a bit with ANC on, and won't block as well as these higher tire headphones. I like my MPOW H21 over the Taotronics BH090 based on sound quality. I haven't tried the Q30's, but I suggest comparing them to some of their alternatives if that's the budget you are targeting.
Last edited by btkli on Jan 7th, 2021 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Simpleray wrote: Simply put, I have too many headphones and ANC headphones thanks to RFD!

Not this time!
haha, I hear you..... I am going to have to sell some of the headphones I currently have...... the problem is that there will always be a sale, and always think that the new ones will be "better", but they never quite sound perfect the way you imagine..... It's a never ending cycle.....

The best is to be content with what you have. This will be the same with all headphones and speakers.... they will never be "perfect". That's my theory anyways
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14982 posts
6374 upvotes
Ottawa
ThriftDealer wrote: I owned and loved my DT880s. Those were neutral. These cans are something else...
DT880 are not neutral at all....big treble spike. I had them and sold them.
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: DT880 are not neutral at all....big treble spike. I had them and sold them.
I guess whatever he wrote is irrelevant.... He's comparing his open-back headphones to these closed back Noise Cancelling headphones, which is in the complete opposite spectrum in terms of headphones.

The reality is that everyone has different preference for headphones, some will like them with more bass, some likes more bright (treble), and some likes all neutral. I can't honestly tell what works best for a person. I can only say that the HP50 is pretty neutral, and HP70 probably is following a similar trend, with slight bit of boost in the bass.... I don't think anyone can win an argument about which headphones are "best", just the same with speakers. If there are speakers or headphones that are "best" for everyone, then there really is no point of having different speakers, or any further future upgrades.
Jul 8, 2020
30 posts
73 upvotes
warpdrive wrote: DT880 are not neutral at all....big treble spike. I had them and sold them.
The DT880 does lean towards being more sibilant than not, but overall response is considered neutral.
Images
  • Frequency Response.jpg
Jul 8, 2020
30 posts
73 upvotes
btkli wrote: I guess whatever he wrote is irrelevant.... He's comparing his open-back headphones to these closed back Noise Cancelling headphones, which is in the complete opposite spectrum in terms of headphones.

The reality is that everyone has different preference for headphones, some will like them with more bass, some likes more bright (treble), and some likes all neutral. I can't honestly tell what works best for a person. I can only say that the HP50 is pretty neutral, and HP70 probably is following a similar trend, with slight bit of boost in the bass.... I don't think anyone can win an argument about which headphones are "best", just the same with speakers. If there are speakers or headphones that are "best" for everyone, then there really is no point of having different speakers, or any further future upgrades.
No need to get personal here. Just trying to give my impressions of the HP50.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
ThriftDealer wrote: No need to get personal here. Just trying to give my impressions of the HP50.
How is what I said personal? I'm just saying it's irrelevant, cuz you aren't even comparing the same thing... I could argue having speakers would have much wider soundstage than your open back headphones.... or course they are totally different things, so there is no point in comparing.

Is what I said untrue? people have different perferences? Just like Warpdrive things your DT880 isn't neutral?
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14982 posts
6374 upvotes
Ottawa
ThriftDealer wrote: The DT880 does lean towards being more sibilant than not, but overall response is considered neutral.
ok, I'll give you that. But it was a deal breaker for me....it gave me a headache after extended listening, I think there are a lot of headphones that are better all-rounders though. I bought the HD600's after my DT880 and never looked back.
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14982 posts
6374 upvotes
Ottawa
The HP50 are considered pretty neutral. They come pretty close to the Harman target. They are designed to sound like good speakers. They do have a good sub-bass but people looking for a "lively" and exaggerated sound should look elsewhere. They respond very well to EQ , and they sound even better with some tweaking
Jun 5, 2012
243 posts
269 upvotes
NEPEAN
btkli wrote: I don't share this experience you have, fortunately I guess. I have a NAD T-758 receiver too, and it's simply a beast compared to my pioneer and Yamaha receivers. Based on almost all online reviews, almost everyone of them would say NAD is superior with sounds, even back decades ago... Perhaps you had a dud?
I absolutely love my Yammy receiver but given the chance I too would jump on a NAD over it. As for headphones I'll let the reviews do the talking.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1607 posts
698 upvotes
porksoda wrote: Nad has decent sound but yes they can be a pain for reliability. Older models and i am talking pre 90s were rock solid, everything after that has had cold solder issues, relay or a mosfet going...
Now that you mention it, that's exactly what was wrong. I guess these aren't really repairable?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3117 posts
821 upvotes
BC
sheyenne wrote: Now that you mention it, that's exactly what was wrong. I guess these aren't really repairable?
It's all repairable, but the question is it worth your time. Cold solder would pretty easy to fix IMO.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1607 posts
698 upvotes
Ren wrote: It's all repairable, but the question is it worth your time. Cold solder would pretty easy to fix IMO.
While under warranty the authorized repair centre repaired the cold solder joints. So there's the relay and the mosfet remaining. I checked online and my amp is only worth $75 now.
Nov 14, 2013
110 posts
151 upvotes
Winnipeg
artofwar wrote: How would this compare with the much raved about and budget priced Anker Life Q30 headphones?
I was about to buy those off Amazon and they went OOS, any idea where I can get a pair for retail($109)
Oct 10, 2019
283 posts
255 upvotes
sheyenne wrote: I foolishly bought an [expensive] NAD amp back in the day. It was made in China and that was before China was the mainstay for electronics. I had issues with the amp including heavy static through the speakers. I paid a lot for that amp. Once I replaced the amp my Mission speakers no longer had the static or other issues. Perhaps NAD is now better, but to me they will always be known as Not Another Dud.
Not sure how long ago back in the day is, but i bought the infamous NAD 3020i, it must be over 35 yrs ago,

and i am still using it and it sounds great. :-)
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
FrankDracman wrote: Not sure how long ago back in the day is, but i bought the infamous NAD 3020i, it must be over 35 yrs ago,

and i am still using it and it sounds great. :-)
The 3020 is what got them famous, that's for sure. I have had my T758 for about 5-6 yrs now, and it's amazing.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Velvetsmack wrote: I absolutely love my Yammy receiver but given the chance I too would jump on a NAD over it. As for headphones I'll let the reviews do the talking.
I still like my Yamaha too. I use that in my office, connected to my KEF LS50... Yamaha has very smooth, neutral sounds that makes it very enjoyable to listen to...

I am sure you will love the NAD too, if you switch to that.