Expired Hot Deals

[NAD Electronics Canada] NAD HP70 Wireless ANC Headphones $249 (50% off)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2021 11:42 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 24, 2007
364 posts
278 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
warpdrive wrote: I haven't heard these but the graphs of the HP70 show a pretty big mid bass bump, the bass sits above the 2017 Harman target which I consider the upper limit of neutral. I would expect these to sound pretty bassy just like the XM4. However, in passive mode they are much less exaggerated and might sound pretty balanced.

If you are shopping in this price range, I'd consider the PXC550-II, which I like a lot. Better than the XM4 IMO, and ANC is still pretty good. I'm not a big fan of the XM4's sound personally.
I just got a pair of the EPOS/Sennheiser Adapt 660 yesterday, which I believe is the Sennheiser PXC550-II bundled with a bluetooth dongle and marketed to the "premium entreprise" segment under the EPOS brand. I've had very limited listening time on them so far, but they seemed to be very neutral sounding with incredible depth. Also with the limited testing, they seemed to be very good for WFH conference calls (my excuse for getting these)! Would you happen to know if, in fact, these are the same headphones?
Nov 24, 2007
364 posts
278 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
warpdrive wrote: The HP50 are considered pretty neutral. They come pretty close to the Harman target. They are designed to sound like good speakers. They do have a good sub-bass but people looking for a "lively" and exaggerated sound should look elsewhere. They respond very well to EQ , and they sound even better with some tweaking
I've got a pair of the PSB M4U1, which I believe has the same guts as the HP50. I've found them to be very neutral sounding, especially compared to my Sony WH-H900N wireless NC cans (which I picked up for international air travel, and work great on planes).
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14983 posts
6374 upvotes
Ottawa
orange260z wrote: I just got a pair of the EPOS/Sennheiser Adapt 660 yesterday, which I believe is the Sennheiser PXC550-II bundled with a bluetooth dongle and marketed to the "premium entreprise" segment under the EPOS brand. I've had very limited listening time on them so far, but they seemed to be very neutral sounding with incredible depth. Also with the limited testing, they seemed to be very good for WFH conference calls (my excuse for getting these)! Would you happen to know if, in fact, these are the same headphones?
They look exactly the same, even the weight, and FR specs
Rich or poor, paying full price for anything is for suckers. Be an informed purchaser by searching RFD for the all-time-low price.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2012
1437 posts
1106 upvotes
Surrey
I just got the Sony XM4, but the ANC isn’t as great as I thought. It’s barely better than my AirPods Pro. Does anyone know if there’s a headset with even better noise canceling when music isn’t playing?
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
henrik112 wrote: I just got the Sony XM4, but the ANC isn’t as great as I thought. It’s barely better than my AirPods Pro. Does anyone know if there’s a headset with even better noise canceling when music isn’t playing?
I think it's either what you have or the bose.... I don't think there are anything better..
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3632 posts
845 upvotes
I am ready to pull the trigger. They do have 30 day return.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
EEE2 wrote: I am ready to pull the trigger. They do have 30 day return.
I tried to resist for a few days.. but I gave in after having this stuck in my mind for 2 days straight
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
I would say that one of the biggest selling point of these HP70's for me is the onboard DAC too. This means you can connect to a crappy computer using it's USB cable, and you can get the music files read by the headphones and not have to rely on a possibly inferior sound card of the computer. Certainly, having bluetooth and wireless and all are dandy, but having the option to have the DAC onboard gives it extra possibilities.. based on my experience so far, there is still no better experience than using a wired connection, even with aptx HD...
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered Jan 5, 10pm, got it today
Images
  • upload.jpg
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3632 posts
845 upvotes
btkli wrote: Ordered Jan 5, 10pm, got it today
Box looks real good. Give us an review! Please. Can't wait to get your opinion how they sound
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't taking any critical listening of these headphones just yet (I will let it burn in a bit first - plus I was busy all day today). But here are some of my impressions so far:
Pros:
  • love the style, they look stylish and classy (doesn't look like a massed produced headphone, or common looking like the Bose or Sony's)
  • Can really tell the difference with higher quality recordings (tho this is a double edged sword as crappy recordings also sound worse)
  • Love the Buttons in general, changing tracks or changing volume by pushing up and down on the buttons, real nice feel (will touch on the power button in the cons)
  • Comfortable, fits well around my ears. Seals nicely around my head, little/no sound leakage
  • ANC on/off - very little difference in terms of sound quality - maybe slight reduction of bass - but not that noticeable. Also I don't hear the annoying buzz sounds that some lessor headphones have (or some have mentioned about these particular headphones)
Cons:
  • Power button - it's kinda stiff out of box. It takes a bit of force to switch in to "on" position, and also to "ANC" position - hope this will loosen up a little with a little bit of use
  • As mentioned on top, poor quality rips sounds horrible on these headphones
  • ANC does not work in DAC mode (USB connection to computer)
  • When charging, ANC cannot be used even in bluetooth mode (a strange buzzing sound is heard in the L earcup - at first I thought my headphones are faulty)
  • ANC also doesn't filter human voices that well. I can still hear quite a bit of voices. but seems to work really well in lower frequency noises. I would say my MPOW H21 and Taotronics TT-BH090 can filter out voices just as well (maybe even better?), but the ANC's on the MPOW and Taotronics also degrade quality of music quite a bit.
  • The instruction manuals aren't the greatest. I'm still having trouble understand what blinking light patterns are for when headphones are charged.
Anyways, these are just my initial impressions so far. I will have to run these longer, and then do some comparison with my other headphones to really give a better opinion on these in terms of sound quality.
Last edited by btkli on Jan 8th, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Anyways just a few pics of what these look like on my head. I think they look very nice. I'm 5'8" asian with avg sized head.
Images
  • upload.jpg
  • upload.jpg
Nov 26, 2003
18 posts
5 upvotes
I ordered on Jan 6, got em today at 11am. They literally arrived before the shipping confirmation email.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2006
1613 posts
357 upvotes
How is the quality.
No links or solicitations through sigs
Nov 26, 2003
18 posts
5 upvotes
emjhay wrote: How is the quality.
So after using them for a couple of hours, here are my thoughts:

Sound:
  • These headphones are pretty much what reviewers have described: neutral, accurate, and have a flat response. Perhaps a slight bump on the midbass.
  • Bass: accurate, flat (as in not overly emphasized), but there is reasonable punch. Good extension, with no extraneous lingering. These are definitely not for bassheads. However, I listen to plenty of electronic music (dub step, downtempo, deep house, breakbeat) and hiphop, and I'm digging what I'm hearing outta the HP70s. Much better bass than my HD598s (this is to be expected as the 598s are open-backed).
  • Mids and Highs: accurate, slightly warm, I like the sound signature.
  • Bluetooth: I'm using AptX HD with my Essential PH-1. Youtube Music sounds good. My personal library of FLAC-encoded music tracks played via USB Audio Pro sound very good. Can't figure out if I can get bit-accurate playback...I can't seem to bypass Android's audio processing before it outputs to bluetooth. One day I'll have to do an A-B comparison between AptX HD vs. passive mode driven by my DragonFly (although this comparison is not quite fair as using AptX HD means the HP70s will be using RoomFeel, whereas using them passive mode will not. So far, from what I can tell, RoomFeel makes the headphones sound warmer (which I like).

Fitment:

A bit tight, and I'm re-adjusting how the earpads sit on over my ears quite often, but I think as they are worn in a bit, they will be a bit more comfortable. I'd prefer if the earpads were velour instead of leatherette, but that can be solved by buying some velour earpads.

My one complaint (so far):

The USB and audio cables plug into the right earcup. When using the USB DAC mode, the USB cable will be on the right side, and when plugged into my laptop, it kinda interferes with my mouse since I am right-handed. Most wired headphones I've used usually plug in on the left side. Not smart design from NAD here (unless you are left-handed).

Summary:

I'm digging these. For $250, they are a solid deal. Please keep in mind that these haven't been broken in yet, so they may sound even better once they are.
Mar 3, 2012
247 posts
113 upvotes
Edmonton
henrik112 wrote: I just got the Sony XM4, but the ANC isn’t as great as I thought. It’s barely better than my AirPods Pro. Does anyone know if there’s a headset with even better noise canceling when music isn’t playing?
i think it also depends on what you are trying to cancel out- most noise canceling algorithms are designed to cut out steady noise, so jumps in frequency like conversations in a coffee shop with variable sounds are going to be more challenging compared to the steady drone of an airplane or train cabin; the other thing is that the algorithms are focused usually on lower frequency noises like the airplane cabin noise. noise canceling isn't really meant to cancel all noises. If you aren't happy with the XM4, you're likely not going to be happy with other noise canceling headsets as thats peak NC tech at the current time, along with Bose as user btkli noted.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
So I have been using my new NAD VISO HP70 for the last few days, and I am finally ready to write a short review on this.

Design/Comfort:
  • I love the Design. They look exquisite. Some may find this a bit bulky though.
  • The fit is nice on my head. Good clamping pressure. The padding around ears are very soft, and forms a nice seal
  • Ears do get a little warm, but not overly uncomfortable

Noise Isolation & Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)
  • Maybe because of the good seal, the passive noise isolation (with ANC off) is quite impressive. I often cannot hear clearly what my kids are saying when they are beside me, forcing me to remove one of the earcups so I can hear. That said, there is a bit of noise leakage. I would use these in bed in low volumes, but my wife can still hear a bit of sounds.
  • ANC on - They are ok. Definitely not as strong as industry's best. I can still hear a slight fan noises (like my range hood or when central heating is on). I would even say that it's comparable to those of Taotronics and MPOW. THAT SAID, all the cheaper ones have degradation in quality of sounds with ANC on, HP70 has no issues (well almost indistinguishable differences).
  • I will add, ANC will not work when headset is charging. Also there is no ANC on DAC mode (USB connection to computer).
With this said, I am happy with the ANC. I don't commute on public transit or plane much at all. I don't really need ANC, but having it is sort of a bonus. I do wish that it didn't leak sounds as much, so I can be more immersed in my music at night in bed without disturbing my wife.

Sounds
I tested these headphones with:
Computer - 3.5 mm (ANC on/off), DAC mode, bluetooth (ANC on/off),
with my XIaomi Mi 8 - 3.5mm (ANC on/off), Bluetooth - APTX HD (ANC on/off)
I'm pleased to say there are hardly any differences in all these modes. I typically use Bluetooth w/ ANC off (to try and save some batteries). I tried a wide assortment of music, including R&B, Pop, Jazz, Classical, Piano Pieces, Rock.

Based on my few days of testing, I find:
Basses are detailed, slightly elevated
Mids generally neutral - seems slight bit recessed, maybe due to the elevated bass
Good Treble - no harshness

Generally good clarity, but I won't say it's great (HP50 has better clarity). Good Stereo imaging. I will add too that the quality of the recording/rip is very important. Good quality rips will greatly benefit from these HP70's, but poor quality rips will make your cringe (more so than some of my other headphones).
These headphones works really well with vocals, and with guitars (especially acoustic). Voices are always smooth. With guitars, I feel drawn to the striking of the guitar strings and the deeper vibrations inside the body of the guitar. Cello's and violins also sound great in these (a few of my Yo Yo Ma pieces sound awesome in these). Horns, I do find them slightly lacking in its depth, like it's missing the feel of the deeper vibrations that you feel when you are playing/hearing a horn/wind instrument.

Conclusions
The big question is always, are they as good as Sony's XM4 and Bose's QC35 II?
I honestly can't answer that, and I don't own either. I have tried those on multiple occasions, and I would say ANC is definitely better on those, and if public commute is a regular for you, those might be some of your top choice. In terms of sound quality, I can only comment on their frequency response charts, since I can't do a side by side comparison with those. I think the HP70's sounds are more similar to the QC35 than the XM4. HP70 are generally quite neutral, with a little boost in the bass (not overly so). XM4's have a bigger boost in basses.

When compared to my HP50's, HP50's have more clarity and does better in the mids. So vocals are more forward, as with any instruments in this range. I find music in the Classical or Jazz genre do better with the HP50's. Things that require more basses for energy are better in the HP70's. If you watch movies and/or gaming too, HP70's would be my choice. I like the both equally for different things.

Other comparisons, to my MPOW H21 and Taotronic TT-BH090:
  • These are cheaper headphones, but I have to say they have quite decent ANC. The quality of sounds do degrade with ANC on tho.
  • MPOW sounds closer to the HP70's with regards to neutrality and clarity. HP70's has more clarity and deep basses, but not by much.
  • Taotronics sound isn't as clear as the other two, and has a bit more of a v-shaped signature (it's also the cheapest $$ of the three)

After my testing, I feel that these definitely aren't worth it's full price of $500. At $250, I think it's reasonable (won't even say it's a killer deal), and good price to compare against the Bose/Sony's sale prices too. I think you'll be happy with all three, depending on the type of music you like. That said, I also think that Bluetooth headphones have their limitations, and no matter the technology (BT 4.0, 5.0, 5.1.5.2, APTX, APTX LL, APTX HD, etc), they always leave me wanting a bit more. For those wanting the best with audio quality, these will be no match to wired open-backed headphones or proper speakers. For those needing noise isolation / ANC, these are quite decent, but just do understand the limitations. These wouldn't replace my HP50's as they are simply superb with its clarity and sounds, but the HP70's will be more convenient and better for certain music and movies/games. When it comes to Bose/Sony, try these out for yourselves and see what works best for you (they are regularly available for audition in stores), but maybe it'll come down to whatever is the best price.
Last edited by btkli on Jan 11th, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 24, 2015
378 posts
222 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
ThriftDealer wrote: I owned and loved my DT880s. Those were neutral. These cans are something else...
I guess different strokes and all of that. I had DT880s and had to return them, they had a WICKED spike up around 8-10K that I could not get used to. Even after breaking them in for 150 hours, it was like an icepick to the brain everytime a crash cymbal hit. I found the HP50's uncomfortable as hell, but coloured a lot like PSB speakers (warm), which I like.
[OP]
Apr 6, 2007
423 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
One thing I will have to add is that the blue LED light is actually pretty darn bright. A little too bright IMO. Could be too bright if someone is sleeping on the right side of you...

The Battery isn't the greatest, but should have no problem lasting you through the day. I get about 2 days if usage of these, with working from home....
Images
  • upload.jpg