NAFTA work permit for a Canadian Citizen with US CPA

  • Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2019 1:41 pm
Aug 11, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON

NAFTA work permit for a Canadian Citizen with US CPA

Hi Everyone,

For the accountants out there, I'm a Canadian citizen with US CPA and considering mving to the US. Will the border officer require to see my Bachelor's degree or will just seeing the US CPA license would be adequate?

Would a Canadian qualification (CA, CMA, CGA) be required to get the permit to work in the US (I doubt it, just wish to confirm).

Thanks you all.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35263 posts
Center of Universe
Do you have a job lined up already, or going to the US and looking?
If the latter, don't say shit and just go down as a visitor.
Once you find an employer, it would be up to them to sponsor you for a work visa.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5985 posts
You need to show original proof (not a copy) of how your meet requirements so for an accountant, you need your original diploma (Bacc in Accounting or closely related field) and you need your diploma showing your accounting designation (CPA, CA, CGA or CMA).
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1803 posts
No an Accountant but can probably provide some advice. Firstly you are not providing enough information for anyone to give a suggestion (I will not say answer because I am not a lawyer).

First what is your educational background? A CPA alone will not get you a visa.
Do you have a job offer? (If not you cannot just move)
Have you researched Visa's? TN is temp and you require a 4 year bachelors that will fit their job description. TN is the "NAFTA" visa. You cannot get it without a job offer and your bachelor must match the TN qualification as well as the job title. These are also temp so you must show that you have not severed ties with Canada. All document must be original.