Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 24, 2014
200 posts
152 upvotes
Ontario

Nail In Tire Close To Sidewall

There’s a nail in one of the all season tires for my Honda Pilot and I wanted a second opinion before deciding whether or not to repair or replace it.

Since the nail is fairly close to the sidewall, would it be alright to patch it or is it not worth the risk? The dealership said they wouldn’t repair it since it’s near the sidewall and recommended just to replace that one tire. If I bring the tire to a smaller tire shop, I’m sure they would patch it but not sure if it would be safe.

If patching is a no go, according to the manual, it looks like I’ll have to replace a pair of tires so as to not damage the AWD system. The current all season tires have about 12-15K KMs on them so I’m guessing a new tire would have quite a bit more thread on them.

I’ve read about tire shaving but I don’t believe there are any places in Ottawa that does this... If anyone knows of a place please let me know.
Images
  • image.jpg
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5184 posts
2639 upvotes
Toronto
No reputable shop will patch a tire outside of the shoulder blocks.

But since you have another set of tires, take the nail out and see if it's long enough to go all the way through the shoulder block.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
4567 posts
2184 upvotes
Toronto
Try removing it. Maybe it's a short nail.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
25631 posts
5921 upvotes
Yeah try removing it and seeing if it went through. If it has, it's game over for that tyre. Replacing just the one tyre is probably fine, that one in the pic doesn't look very worn. If you think a few 32nds is going to damage the AWD system you should probably stop turning corners too :lol: That's not going to do anything. If the other tyre on the axle was like half worn or something I'd say replace both, yes, but even then that's not going to do anything to the "AWD system".

It seems like a waste to throw away a tyre that has so much tread left otherwise, but them's the breaks. That's why buying additional road-hazard warranty has its benefits. Esp. these days when good tyres can easily be like $250-300/pop, that $10-20 per tyre warranty doesn't seem so bad after all. Some places offer it for "free" too.
Nov 7, 2016
673 posts
262 upvotes
Ontario
Depending on the angle of the nail I'd patch it if I owned it. I did tires for years at BMW and Ford and other dealerships, got all sorts of Hunter, Coats and other training.
You can patch sidewalls with the right patches but shops don't do it on light vehicles anymore, only on heavy trucks! lol... Scary backwards issue there for some reason.
·Ï¢årµ§·
[OP]
Jul 24, 2014
200 posts
152 upvotes
Ontario
Seems like the safest course of action would be to replace the punctured tire. I will check if the nail went all the way through later.

I suppose if I replace just the one tire, it would be best to mount it in the front and run it at a slightly lower PSI so it will heat up a bit and wear down quicker?

Oh and I checked with the dealership and it seems I have sym-tech tire warranty but it doesn’t cover the full cost of the tire. I guess some coverage is better than none.
Nov 7, 2016
673 posts
262 upvotes
Ontario
Get a lil $4 tread depth gauge and If they are close to the other tread depth on your remaining tires, stick it on axle with whatever tire also has the most tread. I wouldn't image at 12-15k they'd be to worn yet.
·Ï¢årµ§·
Aug 8, 2004
418 posts
230 upvotes
Ottawa
seeparks wrote: I’ve read about tire shaving but I don’t believe there are any places in Ottawa that does this... If anyone knows of a place please let me know.
Kal Tire in Ottawa told me they can shave a tire but they advised against it because it could take two weeks.

I ended up ordering a shaved tire from Talon Tire in Montreal. They charged $12 for next day shipping to Ottawa.

Only bad thing is they quoted a week and it took two weeks.

I have a full sized spare so it wasn’t a big deal but I’m guessing your situation is different.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)