• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2020 11:15 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2008
47 posts
8 upvotes
Brossard

Nail In Tire Repair when just barely on side

So I hit some bad luck getting a nail in my tire. Brought it to Canadian tire to patch it up and they said not allowed as on side. I attached some pictures to show the location which is just barely on the side, wondering if it’s worth bringing to another garage to check as I’m trying to avoid replacing all 4 tires (AWD)

Thanks in advance
27 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8486 posts
2951 upvotes
Too close.

Why would you replace all 4 tires?

Don't buy into that AWD can't have tires with uneven wear myth. Does anyone actually know anyone, who has or has themselves experienced a drive train failure that was 100% conclusively caused by un even tire wear? I for one have not, and I for one have driven AWD vehicles and only replaced one tire when needed. No issue.

That tire looks like it has lots of tread. I suspect the rest are the same. Buy a new one and move on.
Aug 30, 2020
99 posts
134 upvotes
No shop will fix that for liability reasons.

Personally, I would fix that myself with a plug kit in the direction of the nail and see if it holds air before replacing. It doesn't look like there is any sidewall bubbling.
Nov 11, 2013
687 posts
640 upvotes
Calgary
You’ll need a new tire for sure. How worn out are the rest of the tires?
Usually if they are within 2/32” tread depth, it’s ok to replace just in tire.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2008
47 posts
8 upvotes
Brossard
redblack wrote: You’ll need a new tire for sure. How worn out are the rest of the tires?
Usually if they are within 2/32” tread depth, it’s ok to replace just in tire.
Yeah that’s what I thought :( only rolled about 18k km on them so relatively fresh but it sure how to properly measure thread depth.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1337 posts
1450 upvotes
Replace all 4 tires? At worst, you replace two and put the new one at the back. It is never necessary to replace all 4.
Dec 25, 2006
474 posts
323 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've had Kal Tire fix one like that - up front they told me no guarantee, no warranty.....still on the car a year later :)
People will believe what they want to believe whether fact or fiction.
'tis most frustrating when they aren't open to see and/or learn which is which.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
1614 posts
1320 upvotes
Technically it should be replaced but small tire shops usually will fix it for cash, no receipt, no guarantee.

Get a mushroom patch from the inside, almost always works on a round nail hole like in your picture. If it was a cut then you would replace it.
Mar 17, 2006
554 posts
275 upvotes
Technically speaking, that should not be repaired. Full disclosure... I have already driven on such a repaired tire, and would do it again without hesitation. That being said, I have also driven 30 km to get to a friend's garage (in my misspent youth) to have a master cylinder repaired relying on just my hand brake so I shouldn't be used as a reference.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11203 posts
3471 upvotes
Toronto
Buy 2 new tires, keep the odd one as spare if case you got another flat tire or situation like this, lol
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2498 posts
371 upvotes
CanadianConsumerYEG wrote: No shop will fix that for liability reasons.

Personally, I would fix that myself with a plug kit in the direction of the nail and see if it holds air before replacing. It doesn't look like there is any sidewall bubbling.

that's what happen to me, just went to Canadian Tire and bought the kit, tire lasted until i replaced all the tires 3 years later
[OP]
Dec 12, 2008
47 posts
8 upvotes
Brossard
MP3_SKY wrote: Buy 2 new tires, keep the odd one as spare if case you got another flat tire or situation like this, lol
Thanks, but why 2? Would that reduce the risk with the AWD?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1337 posts
1450 upvotes
darkest_night wrote: Thanks, but why 2? Would that reduce the risk with the AWD?
Because there is no risk long as you put newer tires at the back. (which should always be done anyway).

Some people might find having uneven wear an issue, and might staggers their replacement. That part is entirely up to you.