Nail In Tire Repair when just barely on side

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2020 11:15 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2008
46 posts
6 upvotes
Brossard
Cucumference wrote: Because there is no risk long as you put newer tires at the back. (which should always be done anyway).

Some people might find having uneven wear an issue, and might staggers their replacement. That part is entirely up to you.
And then in rotations do I just flip the two rears and two fronts left/right?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3374 posts
539 upvotes
GTA
Patch, don't plug it. Tire shop can do it for you but they'll probably advise you not to. It'll likely be fine.
Last edited by flamez1000 on Sep 12th, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1420 posts
654 upvotes
Buy one new tire and have it shaved down to match your others.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2003
1420 posts
654 upvotes
flamez1000 wrote: Patch not, don't plug it. Tire shop can do it for you but they'll probably advise you not to. It'll likely be fine.
I would not personally repair this one... Why risk it?

If op mist, get a patch plug combo. That's the only way to do it
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
1244 posts
217 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm not surprised a shop won't do it. I've plugged more than a few tires like that if your good at it you can do it.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16576 posts
6703 upvotes
No, a shop should not patch a tire like that. It is not recommended.

You can do so yourself, and you might be fine. But you might not. And a shop won't take on that liability.

If you really want you can buy a single new tire and have it shaved. Tirerack.com does this for you as an example:
https://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Shaving
Cars have different tolerances, but with shaving you can get it virtually identical.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11188 posts
3453 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: Nope. Just get one.
Depending on how new the tire on the other side, if it is close to brand new. Then I would just buy one,
if it is used for more than a season already, I would buy 2 and have both side to have the same thread life.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2167 posts
798 upvotes
Hometown
Gutty96 wrote: Nope. Just get one.
Finding a shop to sell you just one tire, mount it on the rim balance and install it. Might not be that easy though. I know the tire shop I trust would NOT knowingly do it.

Simply because the cheapskate people like the ones on here that say it will be fine no worries, stop being a nervous Nelly.... Are the first ones to SUE them, call the MTO and use every media outlet, to try to ruin them. If anything were to go wrong EVER with any tire they had on the vehicle. LOL
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8454 posts
2920 upvotes
MP3_SKY wrote: Depending on how new the tire on the other side, if it is close to brand new. Then I would just buy one,
if it is used for more than a season already, I would buy 2 and have both side to have the same thread life.
If we assume it is similar to the one with the nail it, which has plenty of tread left. Should be fine with one. If not though then yes, 2 would be the way to go, but I doubt the other ones are bald.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8454 posts
2920 upvotes
Canuck2fan wrote: Finding a shop to sell you just one tire, mount it on the rim balance and install it. Might not be that easy though. I know the tire shop I trust would NOT knowingly do it.

Simply because the cheapskate people like the ones on here that say it will be fine no worries, stop being a nervous Nelly.... Are the first ones to SUE them, call the MTO and use every media outlet, to try to ruin them. If anything were to go wrong EVER with any tire they had on the vehicle. LOL
Find a different shop. As said, I have replaced 1 tire several times. Heck, just did it a few months ago on my Armada over a nail hole ( which I thought was fine to patch but the warranty covered a new one)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27369 posts
7679 upvotes
darkest_night wrote: Yeah that’s what I thought :( only rolled about 18k km on them so relatively fresh but it sure how to properly measure thread depth.
Keep in mind that "only 18k" is going to be anywhere from 1/5th to 1/3rd the tyre's tread life. I mean it's not like you expect these to go 180,000km before wearing out right? It's probably more in the neighbourhood of 80-100k, tops.

That said you can probably just replace the one without worrying about it too much; worst case scenario if there's a lot of tread difference between new and the best other tyre on the vehicle, you might need to buy two.

Whether you want to try to plug that same one and take the risk is up to you, but keep in mind you might have your family riding with you, so is it worth a couple hundred bucks in savings over getting a replacement?
Jun 10, 2008
445 posts
322 upvotes
Halton Hills
Surprised nobody has asked... is it actually leaking?
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
15436 posts
4602 upvotes
London
darkest_night wrote: So I hit some bad luck getting a nail in my tire. Brought it to Canadian tire to patch it up and they said not allowed as on side. I attached some pictures to show the location which is just barely on the side, wondering if it’s worth bringing to another garage to check as I’m trying to avoid replacing all 4 tires (AWD)....
Check to receipt when you bought that tire. See if you can claim road hazard on that tire