Wheels and Tires

Nail in tire shoulder

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 9:12 am
Sep 23, 2018
2 posts

Nail in tire shoulder

Hey there

I discovered a swallow nail through my tire shoulder yesterday. Took it to the mechanic today and they took out the nail and said it was fine to drive, since there was no air leaking out of it. I thought any damage to the tire shoulder would need the tire replaced? See photos attached.
Before.JPG
After.JPG
I don't know much about cars but your input is greatly appreciated!
Thanks
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
Replace it if you have the money and for safety. But since mechanic already looked at it, you already know the answer.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11167 upvotes
Any PUNCTURE to the shoulder should be replace, as it damages the internal seal in a critical stress area. That didn't puncture by the look of it.

If it just went through tread, and not a depth below what will naturally wear away in time anyway. It should be fine. Have the mechanic check the inside for damage if you are really concerned.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18182 posts
14186 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: Any PUNCTURE to the shoulder should be replace, as it damages the internal seal in a critical stress area. That didn't puncture by the look of it.

If it just went through tread, and not a depth below what will naturally wear away in time anyway. It should be fine. Have the mechanic check the inside for damage if you are really concerned.
bingo
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
4989 posts
29912 upvotes
The puncture looks superficial meaning that only went through the tread as already mentioned, you will be fine, this doesn't affect the tire or it's performance. If they had pulled the nail out through the corner and it was leaking air (very simple to identify and sure they already did the same by using a spray of soapy water) then they would've told you to replace it as corner punctures are not fixable for safety reasons.
__
Want to know the latest Costco Clearance items and prices in Ontario.. check out my thread here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)