116 upvotes
where fire and disco…

Namecheap - Domains, Web Hosting, Etc.

just got an email for namecheap's black friday sale
no prices yet, but it should be pretty decent going by past years
link

i've used them for years for both domains and hosting
i like they have online chat support, instead of email or phone
their customer service is great, and i've never had any uptime/lag issues with my woocommerce sites

the main thing will be to setup an account to access the coupons,
then you will have 48 hours to contemplate the use of the coupons
DOMAINS
Up to 98% off

HOSTING
Up to 97% off

SECURITY
Up to 90% off

PRIVATE EMAIL
Up to 95% off
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson
40 replies
Nov 16, 2015
187 posts
359 upvotes
Calgary
This is a great sale for all you domain hoarders out there. Also prime for picking up a cheap extended validation SSL certificate for your website. (standard certs should be free like LetsEncrypt, don't bother paying for those).

Regular price for comparison next week:

Mike| WordPress Developer | Small Business Marketing & SEO
Dec 23, 2014
50 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary, AB
MWDMike wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:31 pm
This is a great sale for all you domain hoarders out there. Also prime for picking up a cheap extended validation SSL certificate for your website. (standard certs should be free like LetsEncrypt, don't bother paying for those).

Regular price for comparison next week:

My wife is looking to get a personal website. The website would be fairly straight forward, like a bio, etc...

Would you recommend wordpress hosting? We do not know much about web hosting. We would like to obtain a '.CA' domain.

Thank you.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16666 posts
6523 upvotes
Oakville
I've used NameCheap for a couple years now. Not bad. WOuld be nice to score a deal on renewals.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 20, 2014
278 posts
39 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Would it be better to get a domain through a service like shopify? Or get one here then use shopify?

*totally new to this*
Nov 16, 2015
187 posts
359 upvotes
Calgary
I always recommend people buy their domains separate from their hosting company. Namecheap is just fine as a registrar, I use them myself.

I don't have much experience with their hosting however, but for simple blogs/personal sites, I can't imagine it would be a poor choice. For businesses, my recommendations would differ.
Mike| WordPress Developer | Small Business Marketing & SEO
May 15, 2012
38 posts
50 upvotes
Winnipeg
mstachura wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:58 pm
My wife is looking to get a personal website. The website would be fairly straight forward, like a bio, etc...

Would you recommend wordpress hosting? We do not know much about web hosting. We would like to obtain a '.CA' domain.

Thank you.
My recomendation is that you buy the domain through namecheap and then buy hosting somewhere else. All hosting companies include one click wordpress install (which you can install from the admin panel of your hosting) and then you use your hosting companies nameservers on your domain (this will point your domain to your hosting)

Let me know if you need any help with it and feel free to ask other questions you may have.
Dec 23, 2014
50 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary, AB
bitoogill wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 6:14 pm
My recomendation is that you buy the domain through namecheap and then buy hosting somewhere else. All hosting companies include one click wordpress install (which you can install from the admin panel of your hosting) and then you use your hosting companies nameservers on your domain (this will point your domain to your hosting)

Let me know if you need any help with it and feel free to ask other questions you may have.
Thanks for the info. It's very much appreciated.

Would have any recommendations for a hosting website?
Jul 14, 2018
229 posts
277 upvotes
Namecheap hosting gets dirt cheap during black friday, so you might as well host with them too. In any case, you shouldn't be paying more than a few bucks per month for hosting.
Last year, IIRC, I got an wildcard SSL for about $20. However, since then, it looks like Lets Encrypt supports wildcard SSL as well. Then again, for a certificate that lasts a year, what is $20 as a business expense? ;)

Generally, stuff to watch out for are discounted transfers, discounted .com/.net/.me/.co/.pw/.online/.site/.store domains, dirt cheap SSL certs if you want one that lasts a year, cheap premium dns (a great placebo that lasts an entire year!), and cheap "private email" service.

admittedly, I spend way too much time/money on namecheap's website during black friday and cyber money. they have a system where they cycle the deal every hour, and if its hot, you have to claim it quickly before it sells out. a great time of the year to think of business ideas - ideas that will hopefully pay for your other black friday purchases lol.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2015
302 posts
116 upvotes
where fire and disco…
i've never had any issues with having them for my domains and hosting,
but i am not fully-versed in the why-nots (my guess is in case something happens you don't lose both at once)

you can always pick up a good deal on hosting, and register your domain elsewhere at another black friday sale
- web hosting canada is $9.99cdn for first year (renews at $13.99cdn)
i have seen new years/boxing day sales here for cheaper (i got one last year for $0.88cdn)

you might also get a free domain registered with namecheap if you buy shared hosting
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson
Jul 21, 2016
515 posts
777 upvotes
Leask
Namecheap hosting is incredibly slow from Canada. Just warning you, I moved many site out if it recently.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 21, 2015
6867 posts
36199 upvotes
bitoogill wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 6:14 pm

I want to host an online store. Sell multiple products. Which one should I use ? I was thinking about shoplify
Dec 23, 2014
50 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary, AB
PatrickB012050 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 10:14 pm
Namecheap hosting is incredibly slow from Canada. Just warning you, I moved many site out if it recently.
Can you please recommend a site? I am looking for just basic hosting w/ wordpress.
Nov 10, 2018
10 posts
4 upvotes
mstachura wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 9:32 am
Can you please recommend a site? I am looking for just basic hosting w/ wordpress.
Greengeeks, WHC, and Canada Web Hosting are all pretty good options with a Managed Wordpress choice that's probably what you're looking for. If any of those are looking like way too much work (hard to judge wants/needs online in such short time) then you'll probably be better suited with something like squarespace. Hope that helps!
Jul 14, 2018
229 posts
277 upvotes
Thatdealguy wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 6:31 am
I want to host an online store. Sell multiple products. Which one should I use ? I was thinking about shoplify
Online sales are significantly more complicated than just a personal website. Shopify or a specialized ecommerce platform is what you want.

I'm not sure how well WordPress works with eshops.