Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals 2018

[Namecheap] Namecheap - Domains, Web Hosting, Etc.

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2018 2:29 am
[OP]
Mar 25, 2015
283 posts
108 upvotes
where fire and disco…
PatrickB012050 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 10:14 pm
Namecheap hosting is incredibly slow from Canada. Just warning you, I moved many site out if it recently.
i always get an 'a' for speed on pingdom here, and that is on the namecheap basic shared with wordpress and woo
(it's usually too many/poorly coded plugins that really slow a site)
maxed out at 225 products, larger sites should probably have vps or dedicated anyway
NinjaSaves wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 11:14 am
Online sales are significantly more complicated than just a personal website. Shopify or a specialized ecommerce platform is what you want.

I'm not sure how well WordPress works with eshops.
wordpress with woocommerce (free) is by far the most popular ecommerce platform in the world
2.3 million users, the next closest is shopify at 1.2 million
link

shopify is ok if you have the money for the monthly payments, currently at $30usd/month,
whereas woocommerce is just your monthly hosting ($3cad/month, less if you get a decent black friday deal)
you are paying shopify for their overhead/salaries
sure you get an easier ecomm ride,
but you sacrifice many dollars and the ability of individual site customization

here is a good resource for research and/or deals
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson
Jul 21, 2016
493 posts
759 upvotes
Leask
rainingdiscountedfire wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 12:18 pm
i always get an 'a' for speed on pingdom here, and that is on the namecheap basic shared with wordpress and woo
(it's usually too many/poorly coded plugins that really slow a site)
maxed out at 225 products, larger sites should probably have vps or dedicated anyway

wordpress with woocommerce (free) is by far the most popular ecommerce platform in the world
2.3 million users, the next closest is shopify at 1.2 million
link

shopify is ok if you have the money for the monthly payments, currently at $30usd/month,
whereas woocommerce is just your monthly hosting ($3cad/month, less if you get a decent black friday deal)
you are paying shopify for their overhead/salaries
sure you get an easier ecomm ride,
but you sacrifice many dollars and the ability of individual site customization

here is a good resource for research and/or deals
That's interesting because support told me they had no plan for Canadian server and they could not help increase the speed (Took a solid 2.5-3s to load simple html pages)
Dec 29, 2014
170 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto, ON
NinjaSaves wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 11:14 am
Online sales are significantly more complicated than just a personal website. Shopify or a specialized ecommerce platform is what you want.

I'm not sure how well WordPress works with eshops.
I've used WordPress to create an online shop using the WooCommerce free plugin. I highly recommend it as it has easy integration with PayPal and other payment gateways. It also has a lot of different options you can use to customize your shop.
Nov 16, 2015
187 posts
359 upvotes
Calgary
Also, those letter grades ("A" on Pingdom) are completely arbitrary, and often meaningless when it comes to true speed optimisation.

WooCommerce is a phenomenal ecommerce system, likely the best in the world. Certainly the most widely used. A cheap shared hosting plan is rarely adequate for a true ecommerce website though.
Mike| WordPress Developer | Small Business Marketing & SEO
Jul 14, 2018
225 posts
273 upvotes
Takes about 500ms to load a simple bootstrap page on namecheap hosting. Without caching, it's about a second or so.
Not the best. Not the worst. Depends what you use it for.

As for ecommerce, wasn't aware of how wordpress is used in that. I always write my eshops from scratch and do payment IPNs myself as well. Obviously not everyone is gonna do that.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2015
283 posts
108 upvotes
where fire and disco…
MWDMike wrote:
Nov 17th, 2018 2:10 pm
Also, those letter grades ("A" on Pingdom) are completely arbitrary, and often meaningless when it comes to true speed optimisation.

WooCommerce is a phenomenal ecommerce system, likely the best in the world. Certainly the most widely used. A cheap shared hosting plan is rarely adequate for a true ecommerce website though.
pingdom is simply to give you a position against other websites on the interwebs and a speed reading,
it is a good quick data point freely available to use
but since that is not acceptable, what would you recommend to us?

what is a false ecommerce site?
i've had my main ecomm as well as another website for ecomm and another strictly catalog website (you get 3 websites with their basic shared package),
without any issues or complaints and still had more than adequate speed
like i said it depends on how bloated your wordpress/woo sites are (ie too many useless plugins, pics not optimized/sized correctly, etc.)

woocomerce with stripe is quick even on shared if you take the time to keep it simple and watch out for plugins,
and of course you don't have a thousand products with hd images

anyway this thread is about a black friday sale at namecheap....
I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it.
Thomas Jefferson
[OP]
Mar 25, 2015
283 posts
108 upvotes
where fire and disco…
here is another resource to check for website performance
gtmetrix
Thomas Jefferson
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2006
1168 posts
366 upvotes
Is this hosting good for blogging with low traffic?
[OP]
Mar 25, 2015
283 posts
108 upvotes
where fire and disco…
comp_freak wrote:
Nov 18th, 2018 3:44 pm
Is this hosting good for blogging with low traffic?
you would be fine with just shared hosting for this imo

like i said earlier, one of the big pluses for namecheap in my book is 24/7/365 online support,
especially if you are not as smart as some who can actually code their own sites
for the rest of us, helpful and timely support is important
Thomas Jefferson
Nov 6, 2007
2 posts
Vancouver
The goto place for me for hosting is https://lowendbox.com/ which will have insane deals in the upcoming days, like Wordpress hosting for a dollar a year. Remember, moving registrars is easy, but you don't want to move hosting, because it's more of a hassle and danger of downtime. So any registrar that is cheap for the domain you're wanting is good, prepare to move next year if you choose Namecheap, because renewals are usually not so cheap with them.
[OP]
Mar 25, 2015
283 posts
108 upvotes
where fire and disco…
pepa wrote:
Nov 19th, 2018 2:56 pm
The goto place for me for hosting is https://lowendbox.com/....
are you kidding?

first off it seems they are now owned by deluxe.com, which usually means changes to pricing/support is forthcoming
but even barring that, they have a horrible reputation (they are a subsidiary owned by colo-crossing)
well know as over-sellers and having a stable of spammers
123Systems is owned by ChicagoVPS. ChicagoVPS is owned by ColoCrossing.
ChicagoVPS is long banned from WHT (webhostingtalk)for dirty business practices,
link
I will never congratulate those people (colocrossing). They caused a lot of harm and misery over the years.
"Good riddance" is more appropriate.

However, the new owner, Deluxe, is almost as bad as CC (colocrossing) was. Don't expect positive changes.
link

i already linked wht earlier, but i will link it below again because it is a great resource in this area
wht

whoever you go with, research first
look for honest user reviews, not paid for blog-posts
Thomas Jefferson
Feb 27, 2011
855 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
As asked by one of the the previous posters, is this deal also available for domain renewals and transfers from another registers? If so, what is the maximum years of renewals?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16585 posts
6463 upvotes
Oakville
shyhermit wrote:
Nov 20th, 2018 4:52 pm
As asked by one of the the previous posters, is this deal also available for domain renewals and transfers from another registers? If so, what is the maximum years of renewals?
They haven't given any details of the deals yet. Looks like we gotta wait till Friday to find out.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient