Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Napa Auto Parts

1/2 Drive Oil Filter strap- the only oil filter tool you'll ever need for the rest of your life $6.99 REG 9.59

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2022 2:54 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2020
2303 posts
4350 upvotes
YEG/YYZ

[Napa Auto Parts] 1/2 Drive Oil Filter strap- the only oil filter tool you'll ever need for the rest of your life $6.99 REG 9.59

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/ECF7769 ... ostedflyer

This is the best tool that you can use to remove a stuck oil filter. Works for any spin on filter. The only thing you need is a 1/2 drive ratchet or breaker bar to use this. The more you turn the tighter it gets.

Versus various other options;

Oil filter caps-

Useless unless you work at a dealership and only use OEM filters that are identical across 90% of the fleet. There are so many different shapes and sizes across oil filter manufacturers, like different diameters and number of edges, you'll just waste time and money finding various cups and caps that probably won't even fit. Imagine wasting your money buying a whole set.

Pliers

Useless if the oil filter is in a hard to reach spot. Slips off easily. Need to maintain constant pressure as you turn.

Metal band

Useless in hard to reach situations. Rarely do you have the right size, it's always too big or too small. Even if you get the right size, it often slips off.

Claw filter

Works well most of the time, but won't work on small filters or big filters.

Straps

Grips well but won't work if the filter is in a hard to reach spot. Save the tool for your wife or gf to open jars.
Bro, just stab it with a screwdriver and turn, bro!

Now what genius?

Save yourself $ and headache and buy the filter strap.
23 replies
Sep 29, 2007
632 posts
190 upvotes
Port Colborne
Well that's a whole lot of FUD. Maybe Jiffy Lube is more your speed if you don't know how to use the tools.
Nov 13, 2019
252 posts
630 upvotes
Probably works well. I find that having multiple methods laying around works best. All depends on access. For $7, worth it to have around.

My personal favourite are the locking vice grip wrench type. Similar to your pliers method but with a lock feature.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
3989 posts
1362 upvotes
YWG
Up for effort
RFD iTrader:76|||0
HEATWARE:15|||0
EBAY:220|||0
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2008
1741 posts
2218 upvotes
Airdrie
Looks kind of cool, but I don't know if the other tools are as problematic as you make them sound.

If I can't turn it by hand, the rubber straps have never failed me yet, even on a super tight yamaha jetski engine.
Dec 28, 2022
3 posts
2 upvotes
If I can’t get a filter off by hand I pull out my 63250 lisle filter wrench, this thing working absolutely amazing compared to anything else I’ve ever used for getting stuck filters off.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
3666 posts
4288 upvotes
Prince George
I use the style in the OP. Lisle brand bought at Princess Auto but same thing. I admit I haven't tried all the alternatives, only a couple of the cheaper ones years ago, but this style works well enough for me that I don't see a need for anything better.
Jul 26, 2020
48 posts
57 upvotes
Looks like a nice ergonomic upgrade from my undersized pliers wrench. But how is it for installs?
Jul 24, 2005
392 posts
544 upvotes
GTA
paperonion wrote: Looks like a nice ergonomic upgrade from my undersized pliers wrench. But how is it for installs?
A spin on oil filter would not require the torque you are thinking for an install. Hand tight and maybe a quarter turn extra.
Sep 2, 2007
757 posts
258 upvotes
Problem is most people do not read the instructions
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2011
2014 posts
2326 upvotes
smillybob wrote: If I can’t get a filter off by hand I pull out my 63250 lisle filter wrench, this thing working absolutely amazing compared to anything else I’ve ever used for getting stuck filters off.
I have the same lisle and the ops strap.

The lisle works a lot better than the strap.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
2824 posts
6170 upvotes
Vancouver
Wouldn't need this if you didn't crank the crap out of it during install lol
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
12348 posts
2526 upvotes
Richmond Hill

This type of wrench has been working perfectly fine for the cars I've worked on.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
6049 posts
1419 upvotes
rural ontario
danascully wrote: Wouldn't need this if you didn't crank the crap out of it during install lol
Dealerships only hire angry gorillas to put on their filters. Guaranteed to be human hand proof.
72 69 6c 6c 65 73
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2004
4586 posts
1598 upvotes
Mississauga
If you tighten to finger tight, you wouldn't need a wrench to take it off.
The gasket only needs to be compressed a little to seal. Once the engine warms up, it's going to push on the gasket even more, thus removal always take more effort.
People overestimate how tight the oil filter needs to be.

I don't have any car with cartridge style oil filter so don't know if those require much more torque than regular oil filters.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2007
3666 posts
4288 upvotes
Prince George
wing0 wrote: If you tighten to finger tight, you wouldn't need a wrench to take it off.
The gasket only needs to be compressed a little to seal. Once the engine warms up, it's going to push on the gasket even more, thus removal always take more effort.
People overestimate how tight the oil filter needs to be.
On the other hand, I had one come loose once. That was messy. So they do have to be properly tight, basically as tight as you can by hand.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13589 posts
2992 upvotes
Toronto
No thanks. Im happy with my filter caps.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3110 posts
2070 upvotes
ontario
not sure where i got the one i use but it's basically a seatbelt in a loop with a metal bar a 1/2" ratchet fits into. you slip the 'seatbelt' over the filter then twist the metal piece until the seatbelt is tight. then attach the ratchet to twist off the filter. works great.

edit: like this one https://www.amazon.ca/Advanced-Design-A ... B000OUZBTQ