• Jun 13th, 2018 1:58 pm
[OP]
Dec 16, 2008
90 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto

Napoleon BILEX605 BBQ - Differences in prices

Hi there,

i am not sure why Napoleon BILEX605 Built-in 5-burner in Costco is 79,500-BTU, <https://www.costco.ca/Napoleon-BILEX605 ... 28318.html>
same BILEX605 is in Lowes is 48,000 BTU <https://www.lowes.ca/gas-bbq-grills/nap ... 96297.html> and in Bestbuy is 64,000 BTU (6 burner) <https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/na ... 14775.aspx?>

The higher the BTU is better right?
9 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9967 upvotes
Edmonton
I don't think you're comparing apples to apples. If you look at the detailed specs, the Lowes unit has a total of 90,500 BTU's, in part due to the side burner. If you take that out, you have 79,500 BTU's. The BB "64,000" is just for the main burners (48,000) and the bottom burner (16,000). Again, read the actual description, and you'll see the total output is 90,500.

In summary, they're all the same. Just a question of which number is used for marketing. And the Costco unit doesn't have the side burner (plus it's a built-in, meaning there's no base, I'm assuming). Great if you want to do an out-door kitchen, not so good if you buy it thinking you're going to set it up on your deck that evening for a family gathering.

C
[OP]
Dec 16, 2008
90 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote: I don't think you're comparing apples to apples. If you look at the detailed specs, the Lowes unit has a total of 90,500 BTU's, in part due to the side burner. If you take that out, you have 79,500 BTU's. The BB "64,000" is just for the main burners (48,000) and the bottom burner (16,000). Again, read the actual description, and you'll see the total output is 90,500.

In summary, they're all the same. Just a question of which number is used for marketing. And the Costco unit doesn't have the side burner (plus it's a built-in, meaning there's no base, I'm assuming). Great if you want to do an out-door kitchen, not so good if you buy it thinking you're going to set it up on your deck that evening for a family gathering.

Thank you CNeufeld
there is a $200 price difference between Costco and Lowes/BB
Lowes is giving $100 off plus 2 free gifts (worth $109)
not sure i should get the costco or lowes
C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
9967 upvotes
Edmonton
speed2 wrote: Thank you CNeufeld
Again... The Costco unit doesn't have a side-burner and base. It's meant to be dropped into an "outdoor kitchen" setup. So you're not comparing apples to apples.

Basically, if you're looking for a regular BBQ, you want the Lowes or BB unit. The Costco unit will leave you very sad.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1870 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto
speed2 wrote: Thank you CNeufeld
So if I understand correctly, the Lowes unit will cost slightly less than the Costco unit since there is a $200 difference but you're getting $100 off plus $109 (=$209 discount)?

In that case, why are you even considering the Costco unit? It's the same main BBQ unit but WITHOUT the base and side burners.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6512 posts
2185 upvotes
YEG
It's a different BBQ for a different purpose. Both Lowes and BB sell the same insert for the same price. If you want the built-in look, there's only one way to go. It's similar to the pricing between a standard fridge with stand doors and a built-in fridge with panel-ready doors. Or a dishwasher with panel-ready front. There's a huge premium for the built-in look.

It's supposed to look like this, you supply the island:
imageService.jpg
VertigoM wrote: So if I understand correctly, the Lowes unit will cost slightly less than the Costco unit since there is a $200 difference but you're getting $100 off plus $109 (=$209 discount)?

In that case, why are you even considering the Costco unit? It's the same main BBQ unit but WITHOUT the base and side burners.
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA
[OP]
Dec 16, 2008
90 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
VertigoM wrote: So if I understand correctly, the Lowes unit will cost slightly less than the Costco unit since there is a $200 difference but you're getting $100 off plus $109 (=$209 discount)?

Thank you VertigoM. You are correct, Lowes unit will be less than Costco, the reason i am even considering Costco, if anything goes bad, the return will be lot easier.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1870 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto
rf134a wrote: It's a different BBQ for a different purpose. Both Lowes and BB sell the same insert for the same price. If you want the built-in look, there's only one way to go. It's similar to the pricing between a standard fridge with stand doors and a built-in fridge with panel-ready doors. Or a dishwasher with panel-ready front. There's a huge premium for the built-in look.

It's supposed to look like this, you supply the island:

imageService.jpg
Not sure why you're replying to me as I know that. My point was I don't think the OP understands the differences. He is purely considering price vs BTU. In addition, I doubt he's looking for an insert bbq if he's considering the Lowes unit as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1870 posts
1311 upvotes
Toronto
speed2 wrote: Thank you VertigoM. You are correct, Lowes unit will be less than Costco, the reason i am even considering Costco, if anything goes bad, the return will be lot easier.
I understand the better return policy. But please understand that you are comparing two DIFFERENT units. The Costco unit MUST be placed on an island like the photo posted above. It does NOT have a base. Are you aware of this difference?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
8743 posts
4357 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Note to OP. The Costco unit does not have any stand. or base. So unless you're going to put it on a flame-proof table or stand (or better yet, an island), it isn't going to function very well for you. Just envision everything you see in the link to the Lowe's webpage vs everything you see in the Costco one, you won't have if you buy the Costco one.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)