Home & Garden

Napoleon Customer Service. Failing so far.

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 17th, 2022 12:39 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
1332 posts
256 upvotes
Ottawa / Gatineau

Napoleon Customer Service. Failing so far.

Hi,

I purchased a Napoleon Phantom natural gas BBQ back in April.
Unfortunately it came with a chip on one of the cart door.

So far they sent me 3 replacement door and all had issues. Out of the 3 replacement door, 2 where not the same finish. The only one that was the same finish had a big scratch on it.

Now they are adamant that there is only one matt finish and that it's me the issue. Not impressed.

Attached are the pictures I took indoor with the same light.
https://flic.kr/p/2nrjhQB

The original is like the rest of the BBQ: Flat matt black with no texture or sheen.
https://flic.kr/p/2nrjqoK

The replacement they sent are textured and reflect light and supposedly it's my eyes playing trick. Face With Rolling Eyes
https://flic.kr/p/2nrmN6R

Just wanted to share my experience with Napoleon Customer service so far...

I'm not sure what to do anymore. :(
RFD-Anon member #001 - "Hi, my name is Amazing2 and I buy almost everything in the Hot Deals section... Except all that iStuff!"
30 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
1332 posts
256 upvotes
Ottawa / Gatineau
sickcars wrote: install the door and send them a video to clearly show its different.
Thx.
I sent them this picture but they blamed it on "lighting". I. E. The sun. Flushed Face
Getting it to show on video/photo is harder then it looks. Lolll

https://flic.kr/p/2nreRNB

Left is the replacement. Right is the original.
Last edited by Amazing2 on Jun 11th, 2022 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RFD-Anon member #001 - "Hi, my name is Amazing2 and I buy almost everything in the Hot Deals section... Except all that iStuff!"
Deal Fanatic
Feb 20, 2015
5277 posts
4937 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Those doors definitely don't match. "Made in Canada" service alright!

Napoleon isn't cheap, they should make it right. I'm sure they're looking through their parts bin of Chinese sheet metal right now Winking Face
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I see the different in the photo easily.

Video would be best I think. but also photos from different angles so they cant blame it on lighting because it looks off from any side you take the photo.
Amazing2 wrote: Thx.
I sent them this picture but they blamed it on "lighting". I. E. The sun. Flushed Face
Getting it to show on video/photo is harder then it looks. Lolll

https://flic.kr/p/2nreRNB

Left is the replacement. Right is the original.
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
392 posts
415 upvotes
Outer GTA
It’s unfortunate your experience.

It’s hard to match the finish of a pre-existing part.I fell your frustration. Even a robot wil differ finish between paint batches.

Don’t have a great suggestion - just ‘that it is hard to match existing.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
3759 posts
1397 upvotes
Ancaster
Thanks for this post OP.

I have an 18 year old Napoleon BBQ that I was going to replace with another Napoleon but if their quality control and customer service can't rectify such an obvious issue then maybe I'll migrate to their competition.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
Firetech wrote: It’s unfortunate your experience.

It’s hard to match the finish of a pre-existing part.I fell your frustration. Even a robot wil differ finish between paint batches.

Don’t have a great suggestion - just ‘that it is hard to match existing.
This. Just like having a car's bumper painted. The painter will have to fade the paint into the fenders to lower the finish / color difference. Almost impossible to have the exact same color over 2 pain batches, for a same color code.
Aug 26, 2010
291 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
They've possibly switched paint suppliers in the mid-life of this product, which is why they're saying there's only "one" matte finish. Though I can easily see what from the picture that one is matte and the other is definitely glossier. If all fails, maybe ask them to send you the other door too so at least the doors match?
Banned
Mar 14, 2022
392 posts
415 upvotes
Outer GTA
jaynometry wrote: They've possibly switched paint suppliers in the mid-life of this product, which is why they're saying there's only "one" matte finish. Though I can easily see what from the picture that one is matte and the other is definitely glossier. If all fails, maybe ask them to send you the other door too so at least the doors match?
Paint a wall today.

Paint a different wall tomorrow.

Is you finish the same?

Unless things are all painted at the same time - finish continuity is almost impossible
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
1332 posts
256 upvotes
Ottawa / Gatineau
Follow up:

Napoleon finally acknowledged that they did change the paint finish on the doors.
I installed the second door today. At least they match now.

Finish is not the same as the top part but it doesn't look bad. Matches the side shelves.

https://flic.kr/p/2nt6Rnp
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
I think it looks good, I would accept that.
Amazing2 wrote: Follow up:

Napoleon finally acknowledged that they did change the paint finish on the doors.

Finish is not the same as the top part but it doesn't look bad. Matches the side shelves.

Aug 26, 2010
291 posts
236 upvotes
Toronto
Amazing2 wrote: Follow up:

I thought so. I'm glad they were able to send you the other door so they could both match. The finish is absolutely different, no denying that and no amount of days in between coats will make matte paint glossy unless you rub oil on it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
Ive had my own nightmarish experience w/ Napoleon that they don't even respond to me anymore.

Bought a grill and the unit got discolored and the thermometer warped while seasoning the grids for 30 minutes
Also burnt my hand while opening the lid during an initial cook (handle reached 273degrees F)...

Provided ample pictures to Napoleon and told them I didn't feel safe using it. They asked for a ton of dismantled pictures which convinced me they had no interest in surviving/replacing it.

Unit's been stored in the shed ever since
Apr 19, 2018
397 posts
124 upvotes
Scarborough
KravenHead wrote: Ive had my own nightmarish experience w/ Napoleon that they don't even respond to me anymore.

Bought a grill and the unit got discolored and the thermometer warped while seasoning the grids for 30 minutes
Also burnt my hand while opening the lid during an initial cook (handle reached 273degrees F)...

Provided ample pictures to Napoleon and told them I didn't feel safe using it. They asked for a ton of dismantled pictures which convinced me they had no interest in surviving/replacing it.

Make a report to BBB and the consumer protection agency and CC napoleon. They will respond pretty quickly. I'm also never hesitant to go right to the top and email the executives.
Don't worry be happy - Bob
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Good point you may get a resolution out of it.
Prestonxavier wrote: Make a report to BBB and the consumer protection agency and CC napoleon. They will respond pretty quickly. I'm also never hesitant to go right to the top and email the executives.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
sickcars wrote: Good point you may get a resolution out of it.
I fired it up for the heck of it. 4th burner doesnt start well and the thermometer is shot. Needed a heatgun to know which temp. I was grilling at.
Upon reading this thread I emailed Napoleon again. I must be on their sh**list as they never bothered to respond.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5522 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
KravenHead wrote: Ive had my own nightmarish experience w/ Napoleon that they don't even respond to me anymore.

Out of curiosity how old is the unit? I just helped my father pick out a new grill and we settled on a Napoleon so this thread has got me a bit nervous.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2016
5291 posts
6491 upvotes
The_Professor wrote: Out of curiosity how old is the unit? I just helped my father pick out a new grill and we settled on a Napoleon so this thread has got me a bit nervous.
If am right, its 4 years old this month. Am certain I started to report the issues the first year.
All the email correspondences are archived in case Napoleon ever states otherwise.

Nonetheless I absolutely regret purchasing it. The previous grill, Broil King Signet 420, lasted just under 10 years until the bottom just rotted out. Went w/ Napoleon due to its reputation and warranty.
Should have went w/ another BK or Weber. Also annoyed b/c everyone I know who have Napoleon grills love them (including 3 in the family). My folks reiterated the story to their local dealer who replied saying he would have replaced the unit had it come from his store.

This unit must have been a lemon. A big shinny yellow lemon.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2007
5522 posts
3051 upvotes
GTA
KravenHead wrote: If am right, its 4 years old this month. Am certain I started to report the issues the first year.
All the email correspondences are archived in case Napoleon ever states otherwise.

Nonetheless I absolutely regret purchasing it. The previous grill, Broil King Signet 420, lasted just under 10 years until the bottom just rotted out. Went w/ Napoleon due to its reputation and warranty.
Should have went w/ another BK or Weber. Also annoyed b/c everyone I know who have Napoleon grills love them (including 3 in the family). My folks reiterated the story to their local dealer who replied saying he would have replaced the unit had it come from his store.

This unit must have been a lemon. A big shinny yellow lemon.
Thanks for the info. I've had my Weber Genesis for just about a decade now and it's in amazing shape, especially since I use it 1-2 per week year round. When researching this time around for my father most online reviewers preferred the equivalent Napoleon and so I recommended the Rogue 525 NG model. Hope it doesn't come back to bite me in the a$$ in a couple of years.