• Aug 9th, 2018 10:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1314 posts
632 upvotes
Regina

Nas or External drive enclosure with USB 3.1 2nd Gen

I do video editing and need more space than my current tower can support. Should I build a NAS with the following specs:

i3 6100, 4 Gbs of ram, itx case, hot swap case...

or just buy an enclosure that supports 4 to 5 hard drive and just connect that to my editing rig?

I was thinking of an enclosure such as ORICO Aluminum Alloy 5 Bay USB3.0 to SATA HDD Enclosure with Raid Function (9558RU3) or Mercury Elite Pro Quad RAID
4-Bay Storage Enclosure with USB 3.1 C.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
7 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2012
1314 posts
632 upvotes
Regina
Most likely will be accessed by one computer but a proper nas makes more sense.
Looking to buy Epson HT2150ST
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2817 posts
843 upvotes
But you'll only get gigabit speeds out of the ethernet. With an enclosure you'll get SATA/USB C/Thunderbolt speeds. It'll be more responsive unless you're strictly using the NAS as storage
and not working off it directly.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10525 posts
2883 upvotes
Winnipeg
usb 3.0 external. They can easily become nas's out of most sbc today. All newer releases of sbc boards competing with the likes of say rpi(android tv boxes etc) but better specs will all have gigabit/usb 3.0 in the future.

you could just buy this too and run omv on it and add the external usb drive
https://www.pine64.org/?product=rock64- ... d-computer
comparison with omv as a nas (10:16 time if your in a hurry). but the rock64 ran a 93 Mb/s. Not bad for 24.99 usd 1gb sbc board thats much easier to build than a pc.

not a fan of raid myself I prefer a mirror backup=0 downtime
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
29131 posts
9668 upvotes
If you're going to use a DAS, then why not eSATA instead of USB? Just seems to make more sense to me than having to lose some performance to "translation" bridges. USB 3.1 Gen 2 is not found on many devices and TBH it ain't really gonna help that much anyway because unless you're building this thing with solid-state, HDDs aren't really going to saturate regular USB 3.0 anyway. Perhaps if you're running RAID 0 (which no one in their right mind would do for something like this) but otherwise not likely be going over USB 3.0 speeds. Even thinking of nested RAID, you're going to lose enough performance due to controller/software overhead (along with USB bridging) that you're not going to be breaking 5Gbps anyway.

If it's just one machine and speed is crucial, I'd say go with a DAS setup instead. If you need it to be accessed by more than one machine, over the internet, etc., then a NAS is a better idea but you will probably give up some bandwidth and responsiveness compared with directly-connected storage.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
10525 posts
2883 upvotes
Winnipeg
ES_Revenge wrote: If you're going to use a DAS, then why not eSATA instead of USB? Just seems to make more sense to me than having to lose some performance to "translation" bridges. USB 3.1 Gen 2 is not found on many devices and TBH it ain't really gonna help that much anyway because unless you're building this thing with solid-state, HDDs aren't really going to saturate regular USB 3.0 anyway. Perhaps if you're running RAID 0 (which no one in their right mind would do for something like this) but otherwise not likely be going over USB 3.0 speeds. Even thinking of nested RAID, you're going to lose enough performance due to controller/software overhead (along with USB bridging) that you're not going to be breaking 5Gbps anyway.

If it's just one machine and speed is crucial, I'd say go with a DAS setup instead. If you need it to be accessed by more than one machine, over the internet, etc., then a NAS is a better idea but you will probably give up some bandwidth and responsiveness compared with directly-connected storage.
Probably cost stability and flexibility. Decent reliable software raid isn't great and hardware capable cards are real pricey for port multiplier support and esata.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15863 posts
2472 upvotes
Thunderbolt 3 enclosure with RAID.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.