• Feb 23rd, 2018 1:24 pm
[OP]
Nov 18, 2014
583 posts
546 upvotes
Calgary, AB

NAS Recommendation

Hi Guys,

Looking for a NAS that will serve as an Active Directory server for 4 windows PC's, has an audio in (or capable of doing that off a USB sound stick), file storage and is powerful enough to run a Windows 10 installation with some lightweight software on it (Radioreference audio feed, Weather software and Automatic Email Manager)

Any thoughts or recommendations?
6 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
3607 posts
949 upvotes
just use any old pc with decent specs. i'm still rocking a q6600 with 8gb ram and a SSD it works extremely well for file storage and client backups.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2014
583 posts
546 upvotes
Calgary, AB
JonSnow wrote: just use any old pc with decent specs. i'm still rocking a q6600 with 8gb ram and a SSD it works extremely well for file storage and client backups.
Thanks, but I can't for this business environment.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2018
1009 posts
48 upvotes
You need something with warranty and support?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2008
1355 posts
245 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Synology supports being a domain controller with their active directory server.

Various NAS devices (Synology, QNAP, etc.) support a virtual machine server, which should allow you to run Win10 in a VM.
[OP]
Nov 18, 2014
583 posts
546 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Poutsounia wrote: You need something with warranty and support?
Yes.
I have done research and know that Synology and Qnap are the two to go with, however I can't really get it clear which model would be able to support running a windows virtual machine with some non intensive software.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
27006 posts
3696 upvotes
Montreal
rrabbit10 wrote: Yes.
I have done research and know that Synology and Qnap are the two to go with, however I can't really get it clear which model would be able to support running a windows virtual machine with some non intensive software.
You want to run a VM on the NAS? The guest OS is Windows? No QNAP or Synology except the highest products will do. The ARM based models can barely transcode a DVD size file. The Atom based ones are marginally better. You'll be lucky if you get 2gigs of RAM. These are file servers. That's it.

You are better of building your own PC.