• Last Updated:
  • Oct 31st, 2020 10:13 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4412 posts
2500 upvotes

NAS - to solve spaghetti mess of drives

I have a lot of drives...from all these years.

Here's the mess: Most are formatted for OS X (whatever files system it is) and recently I do most of my computing on Chromebook.

I have a habit of buying a drive every 2 years, as drives die from age.

Instead of buying another drive, it's time to settle with a NAS. I'm thinking of getting a standalone NAS with one big drive (8TB), and plug in my old drives in there too (1-4TB) by USB. Can a NAS help translate formats on the fly so no matter what device I use (android, chrome, mac, pc) I can read the files?
9 replies
Oct 15, 2020
42 posts
11 upvotes
Richmond HIll
Check out this video explaining how to set up a home server. I'm not too familiar with the details myself, but from what I can infer in the video, it is possible for a NAS to transcribe your media to different formats on the fly.
I'm sure we'll meet again, in some nostalgic place...

The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25157 posts
3093 upvotes
Montreal
Do you have an old laptop or PC you can repurpose?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4412 posts
2500 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: Do you have an old laptop or PC you can repurpose?
I do have one spare but....it's really old like...16 years old, boots Ubuntu 14something, won't even update to latest.

I'm eyeing Raspberry Pi 4 but if i'm not saving that much money over time/frustration a NAS looks good since there's mobile apps, a GUI etc.

My biggest headache is just dealing with a bazillion formats that i lost track of, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, mac os, etc....I have one of each at least lol
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
11927 posts
3046 upvotes
buy a unraid license and be done with it
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25157 posts
3093 upvotes
Montreal
bhrm wrote: I do have one spare but....it's really old like...16 years old, boots Ubuntu 14something, won't even update to latest.

I'm eyeing Raspberry Pi 4 but if i'm not saving that much money over time/frustration a NAS looks good since there's mobile apps, a GUI etc.

My biggest headache is just dealing with a bazillion formats that i lost track of, FAT32, NTFS, exFAT, mac os, etc....I have one of each at least lol
That old PC might still be faster than commercial NAS. What are the exact specs?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4412 posts
2500 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: That old PC might still be faster than commercial NAS. What are the exact specs?
1gig ram, single core 1.6ghz....
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
25157 posts
3093 upvotes
Montreal
sexyj wrote: buy a unraid license and be done with it
bhrm wrote: 1gig ram, single core 1.6ghz....
Yeah. Sounds like pentium era stuff. Look for a 2 bay NAS from QNAP. Expect to pay 250$.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
8815 posts
983 upvotes
I've gone through a bunch of setups. Honestly just get a couple of BIG drives and then just zero out your old drives and give them away or to friends who need them.

I agree, getting something like Qnap 2-4 bay... get 2-4 8TB drives (8TB is sweet spot right now)... then donate or give away all your other drives (after zero'ing them out of course).

Don't bother implementing a solution to use them imho.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4412 posts
2500 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote: I've gone through a bunch of setups. Honestly just get a couple of BIG drives and then just zero out your old drives and give them away or to friends who need them.

I agree, getting something like Qnap 2-4 bay... get 2-4 8TB drives (8TB is sweet spot right now)... then donate or give away all your other drives (after zero'ing them out of course).

Don't bother implementing a solution to use them imho.
Going to do both

I ordered a Raspberry Pi 4 8 gig and going to keep eye on a 8TB to keep the tradition of retiring old drives with bigger. 8TB prices aren't moving, last i bought was $120 i think. No rush I can wait...