Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 9:52 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5244 posts
3798 upvotes
Edmonton
hsedin wrote: I think the Synology 918+ would be perfect for your 4 new drives, the Newegg store on ebay has them at a decent price and along with the $15 off code should make it a reasonable deal.
Thanks a lot. I was reading online and it looks like the 918+ is definitely highly recommended. The ebay deal looks awesome too. I don't want to get greedy, but I am wondering if I could get it even cheaper if I wait for a 15-20% ebay coupon to come out (assuming newegg keeps the price the same). What do most people use, RAID 10 or RAID 5 or RAID 6 these days?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1794 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
hsedin wrote: I think the Synology 918+ would be perfect for your 4 new drives, the Newegg store on ebay has them at a decent price and along with the $15 off code should make it a reasonable deal.
If not Plex, what is a good media server for this device? Currently I use an old laptop + plex + roku.
Feb 2, 2010
936 posts
725 upvotes
Is $350 for a used QNAP 451 (not A or + models) any good? I need something with at least 4 bays but I dont need a media streamer (at least not directly i.e. Plex, I use android boxes to stream directly from the NAS). It appears to be in very good shape and has upgraded to 8GB RAM.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1780 posts
502 upvotes
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: Synology DS218j any thoughts on how good this is?

Newegg review doesn't seem that good, surprisingly some people say it's hard to set up?
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
not sure if i’m two months too late in answering u, but for those who consider this in the future anyway.

i got this few months back from newegg when ebay was doing a 20% everything. this is my first NAS and experience with synology, and it was very very easy to set up.

depends on what you need is. i just needed personal cloud for file and photo back ups, so this was perfect for me at this price point.
don’t expect this system to work flawlessly with plex, the spec isn’t the greatest for decoding, pending on the file format, it may be choppy.
login and photo preview on the synology interface is arguably slow, but manageable. speed of accessing the files thru the network wasn’t a concern tho.

hope that helps.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1794 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: the rock64 has been so good as a nas thru its usb 3.0 and gigabit.

I went and ordered this it just just started accepting orders a couple days ago. rk3399 4xusb 3.0 and gigabit. Unfortunately the heatsink was out of stock.

https://www.friendlyarm.com/index.php?r ... uct_id=234
https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/08/24 ... 399-board/
can you run plex server on these?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9682 posts
2218 upvotes
Winnipeg
chowder wrote: can you run plex server on these?
yeah it should they do it on the other boards with shared soc like rock64pro. This is the only one with an rpi footprint size with 4 usb 3 ports. But its more powerful and much much faster iops for networking than even an odroid ux4.

https://www.openmediavault.org/ then add the plex server addon etc all in web gui

I use my rock64 which has 4gb with omv but I am currently testing libreelec and its built in samba server with 2x dualbay usb 3.0 externals but will be adding pihole and alot more things and once the summer is over like probably an emby server all at the same time all with in libreelec addons or the docker emby which ever works best since it can support both.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1794 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
lead wrote: yeah it should they do it on the other boards with shared soc like rock64pro. This is the only one with an rpi footprint size with 4 usb 3 ports. But its more powerful and much much faster iops for networking than even an odroid ux4.

https://www.openmediavault.org/ then add the plex server addon etc all in web gui
thanks. i may order one of these and play around and try to figure it out. it's definitely outside my current technical abilities, but good be something fun to learn. I need to buy a heatsink as well? Any other things I'll need to make this operational? I have external usbs already.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9682 posts
2218 upvotes
Winnipeg
chowder wrote: thanks. i may order one of these and play around and try to figure it out. it's definitely outside my current technical abilities, but good be something fun to learn. I need to buy a heatsink as well? Any other things I'll need to make this operational? I have external usbs already.
best to buy with the heatsink but their was no stock when I ordered. Its flash to sd card and boot it up. Then just watch any youtube video about openmediavault for eyes on tutorials, same way for any device once running omv.

You also have a couple of choices that one seems quite powerful for the money and 4 ports. But just for nas duties and no transcoding but with plex maybe look at the rock64= 2 or 4gb and a 3.0 usb hub. Thats 36 usd and 45 usd. The dev is a little further on the rk3328 than the 3399 due to sheer availability and its cheaper.
https://www.pine64.org/?product=rock64- ... d-computer maybe even just the 1gb would suffice for just nas pihole vpn etc.

As fas as I know? except for the the shield(pricey tho). I don't know of any other low powered arm soc thats has decent enough iops for nas duties and be a media player both at the same time. Situated thru out your home affordably is where I see these devices will eventually become="home"cloud media players. Evolving into something like a samba cluster in the future I wager as privacy security concerns grow everyday.

I ran it as a nas and it was perfect with about as many options as there is available for any nas. But for the last month the rock64 has run libreelec 18 and served samba for 2 dual bays at the same time. Kinda cool consolidating nas and media player devices into just one. The libreelec build is still alpha but its due for hdr support this week, latest commits i tried fixed up sd card hdmi compatibility.

My real desire for the rk3399 is its retro gaming would give almost if not perfect n64.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4002 posts
430 upvotes
Georgetown
I am looking for a NAS that meets the following criteria:
- can run Plex and support at least 2 streams
- can run nzbget and sonarr and a bt client
- ideally can run a VPN (PIA)
- 4 bays preferred
- ideally can also support external hard drives being connected (especially if only 2 bays)

The idea of building something from scratch like lead has floated here is intriguing too... but would it be able to meet all of the above items?

Basically, I’m looking for a NAS that also can take on Plex server and downloading capabilities (so I can avoid running a PC 24/7).

Thanks in advance! I’m curious how much $ it takes to meet this threshold now... I
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9682 posts
2218 upvotes
Winnipeg
Tiberius wrote: I am looking for a NAS that meets the following criteria:
- can run Plex and support at least 2 streams
- can run nzbget and sonarr and a bt client
- ideally can run a VPN (PIA)
- 4 bays preferred
- ideally can also support external hard drives being connected (especially if only 2 bays)

The idea of building something from scratch like lead has floated here is intriguing too... but would it be able to meet all of the above items?

Basically, I’m looking for a NAS that also can take on Plex server and downloading capabilities (so I can avoid running a PC 24/7).

Thanks in advance! I’m curious how much $ it takes to meet this threshold now... I
I am one to think the best route is say run 2 or more low powered arm soc devices. One for nas dutites and even plex or emby. But when you add nzbget and sonarr, bt, vpn and pihole plus maybe aes encryption(that may need a powerful soc with hw support) that should go on separate from your nas then syncs to your nas.
That way it only beats/heats/plus isolates and minimizes power consumption on it for those duties and in no way effects or compromises your precious storage data on your nas server.

Nor if one goes down effects the functions of the other etc. Many are doing just that on sbc's like rpi's or nano pi neo, orange pi etc for as low as 15 bucks vs all in one pc servers . Its much more affordable to just isolate dutes now with so many sbc arm socs while not compromising other duties when runing at the same time.

If people had say more than one media player like an rpi, amlogic media payer running linux its something to consider. Possibly running docker and spreading a few duties on each in the back ground all on your network. Making more use of those devices that already run 24/7 anyway. In libreelec it can be as simple as installing an addon to do it.
Aug 13, 2006
927 posts
122 upvotes
Vancouver
Hi All,

I am looking for something simple - remote back up storage. I currently have use Google Cloud storage for remote back up of my photos and home videos and some other files , automated sync using software from my QNAP NAS. Something got messed up (won't get into it), but need a different solution. I am thinking for my needs, instead of the $6USD/month cloud storage, maybe the easier solution for my needs to just buy a basic NAS with Rsync, put it in my inlaws' house and connect it to the router, and just remotely back up my stuff this way.

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap 1 or 2 storage NAS that suffices for what I'm looking for?

Thanks,

h.
Don't worry about how much you SPEND , it's how much you SAVE that matters.