Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 20th, 2020 9:52 am
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4002 posts
430 upvotes
Georgetown
rebel_rfd wrote: @Tiberius

Added a few more images, hopefully that helps.
Thanks for the info! When I get some time to start setting up it I will see how it goes. Hopefully this is enough info to get me going...
Oct 6, 2005
387 posts
110 upvotes
Montreal
Smiling Face With Open MouthJust shuck the WD 8T Element drive, I am good luck to get helium drive, I guess. The white label covers the hole.
emmjaibi wrote: You can always check the model numbers using software on your computer (eg. CrystalDiskInfo) before you void warranty opening it. You might want to test the drive for bad blocks first, too.
Jan 6, 2004
694 posts
147 upvotes
Vancouver
Novice question and just brainstorming for a setup - I'd like to have a "cloud" setup for storing all my photos ( over 200gb) with the photos backed up so I am guessing I need at least 2 bays to run one of those Raids. Alternatively I could pay Google to upgrade my google drive space but I figured I might as well utilize my internet service at home and pay towards getting a NAS.
1) Synology/QNAP seem like a good choice for a small home user setup with their GUI management?
2) Is it there a lot of maintenance work involved once I take the time to set up folder structure? And is it easy to set up for other people to access it?

Thanks in advance!
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2008
1747 posts
946 upvotes
she/her, Toronto
Any good NAS devices on eBay with today's 10% off coupon?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1794 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote: I have a question if you guys can help me with a couple of issues. I just put 2 8tb drives into the my 918+. I was wondering if the things happening below would indicate issues.
I can't help you but I'm in a situation as well. I've had 1 10tb drive in there. I just got a second one and put it in. It seems the 2nd is just used for redundancy, so I don't actually have 20tb to work with. It's set up as shr. I don't want to lose the data on the first drive, but I'd rather have 20tb to work with than 10tb + a backup. Anything I can do?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1865 posts
877 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure why you bought a NAS , if you're not going to use the RAID feature.
chowder wrote: I can't help you but I'm in a situation as well. I've had 1 10tb drive in there. I just got a second one and put it in. It seems the 2nd is just used for redundancy, so I don't actually have 20tb to work with. It's set up as shr. I don't want to lose the data on the first drive, but I'd rather have 20tb to work with than 10tb + a backup. Anything I can do?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1794 posts
194 upvotes
Toronto
lurker99 wrote: Not sure why you bought a NAS , if you're not going to use the RAID feature.
explain. i'm a total noob.
Dec 1, 2006
328 posts
46 upvotes
chowder wrote: explain. i'm a total noob.
They are being a bit harsh I suppose. A NAS has a lot of uses, from simply network accessible storage (maybe your use case?) to data backup/redundancy (raid) and a whole lot more.

I would assume most people putting in a NAS are looking for network storage and redundancy, hence the previous posters comment. That doesn't mean you have to use it for that though.
Apr 22, 2010
250 posts
170 upvotes
Markham
chowder wrote: I can't help you but I'm in a situation as well. I've had 1 10tb drive in there. I just got a second one and put it in. It seems the 2nd is just used for redundancy, so I don't actually have 20tb to work with. It's set up as shr. I don't want to lose the data on the first drive, but I'd rather have 20tb to work with than 10tb + a backup. Anything I can do?
You can add the 2nd drive as a separate volume so you have 2 x 10TB volumes. If you want 1 x 20TB volume, unfortunately, you will have to back up your existing volume externally, add the 2nd 10TB drive, reformat as one 20TB volume, then restore from your backup. One 20TB is riskier because if one of the drives fail, you will lose the data on both drives. That's why most people with a NAS choose a redundancy option (SHR, RAID).
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
13536 posts
5100 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dragon Reborn wrote: You can add the 2nd drive as a separate volume so you have 2 x 10TB volumes. If you want 1 x 20TB volume, unfortunately, you will have to back up your existing volume externally, add the 2nd 10TB drive, reformat as one 20TB volume, then restore from your backup. One 20TB is riskier because if one of the drives fail, you will lose the data on both drives. That's why most people with a NAS choose a redundancy option (SHR, RAID).
It's situations like this that makes me wonder why Microsoft abandoned the Windows Home Server platform with the drive extender feature. It made adding disk space to the shared volume pool and creating redundancy via file duplication so much easier for the average home user. In fact, I'm still using Stablebit's DrivePool in my Windows server 2012R2 and have just added hard drives to the shared pool over the years to increase disk space without having to reformat and reconfigure RAID settings.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4002 posts
430 upvotes
Georgetown
craymail wrote: They are being a bit harsh I suppose. A NAS has a lot of uses, from simply network accessible storage (maybe your use case?) to data backup/redundancy (raid) and a whole lot more.

I would assume most people putting in a NAS are looking for network storage and redundancy, hence the previous posters comment. That doesn't mean you have to use it for that though.
Yeah, this is a quirk I am discovering. I really wanted disk storage and to run certain automation programs (such as nzbget, sonarr, etc) on a low power consumption 24/7 device. But, the NAS community tends to think primarily of the Raid, data redundancy and backup uses.
Nov 26, 2016
131 posts
99 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Do you guys consider DS218play good enough for virtual backup, mirrored for family pics/videos - maybe remote accessing them to view on a pc? Or should I futureproof and go 218+?

It will be my first NAS and I'm tired of manually syncing cellphone pics backup and to my external HD connected to router. Already have 2 shucked 5tb blues waiting. I already have a minipc to stream movies/kodi so not really gonna use the transcoding except watching some cellphone videos saved on the NAS.

218play is $349 - 15% off coupon today. 218+ is not in stock and at $399 but I saw in November was at $349 with no coupon!
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6147 posts
2072 upvotes
604ray wrote: Do you guys consider DS218play good enough for virtual backup, mirrored for family pics/videos - maybe remote accessing them to view on a pc? Or should I futureproof and go 218+?

It will be my first NAS and I'm tired of manually syncing cellphone pics backup and to my external HD connected to router. Already have 2 shucked 5tb blues waiting. I already have a minipc to stream movies/kodi so not really gonna use the transcoding except watching some cellphone videos saved on the NAS.

218play is $349 - 15% off coupon today. 218+ is not in stock and at $399 but I saw in November was at $349 with no coupon!
I bought the 918+. Even as a newbie I find that unsuitable for my needs. It's just not stable enough.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
4002 posts
430 upvotes
Georgetown
rebel_rfd wrote: Docker Setup

Use that link.

The key is to make sure you map folders out to contain your log files for each container. That way when you update to remove and reinstall you don't lose your settings.

So, I map my config folder directory for each container to configs.

So, apps is my directory where NZBGet installed.

I have a separate folder in apps, called config where I install all the log files for each container.

Radarr, Sonarr, Lidarr get pointed to the directories used by NZBGet so they can fetch their files.
I finally have had time to work on this and almost have it up and running. I’m curious how you set your nzbget folders, and if you are using Sonarr renaming?

The one piece I haven5 successfully tested yet is the rename and move to another folder functionality - but your paths seem to imply you are downloading the shows directly to a Media folder.