Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 26th, 2019 8:22 am
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4704 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
Tiberius wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 7:15 pm

I finally have had time to work on this and almost have it up and running. I’m curious how you set your nzbget folders, and if you are using Sonarr renaming?

The one piece I haven5 successfully tested yet is the rename and move to another folder functionality - but your paths seem to imply you are downloading the shows directly to a Media folder.
So I have an Apps folder in the main directory. That has folders for every container so the config files sit there. Useful if you ever need to delete a container and reinstall, so you don't need to reconfigure again.

NZBGet has a folder in there.

For the NZBGet folder, I have the default folders too from settings. So, Completed, Incomplete, Intermediate and so forth.

NZBget will download and move files to Completed.

Sonaar, Radarr, Lidarr and so forth will move and rename those files to my Media folder.

Media folder for me contains movies, series and so forth.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3715 posts
275 upvotes
Georgetown
rebel_rfd wrote:
Dec 15th, 2018 7:55 pm
So I have an Apps folder in the main directory. That has folders for every container so the config files sit there. Useful if you ever need to delete a container and reinstall, so you don't need to reconfigure again.

NZBGet has a folder in there.

For the NZBGet folder, I have the default folders too from settings. So, Completed, Incomplete, Intermediate and so forth.

NZBget will download and move files to Completed.

Sonaar, Radarr, Lidarr and so forth will move and rename those files to my Media folder.

Media folder for me contains movies, series and so forth.
Got it all working! Thanks for you help - it did set me on the right path!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4704 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
Tiberius wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 3:54 pm
I'm close to having this working... just one glitch left... Sonarr sends the nzb to nzbget, nzbget downloads it... but then Sonarr is failing to import the file to the final destination. I'm getting an: "Import failed, path does not exist or is not accessible by Sonarr: /downloads/completed/TVShowEpisodeFolderName" error.

The actual path is: /appdata/nzbget/completed/ so I think that may be the issue (I don't think it's a permissions issue as I can Manually import the show in Sonarr)

in nzbget, the MainDir is set as /downloads (which is the Shared Folder set up when creating the container (/share/appdata/nzbget is mapped to /downloads)
In Sonarr, I set the /downloads folder as: /share/appdata/nzbget/completed

I'm wondering if I should have set the Sonarr /downloads to the same as nzbget (/share/appdata/nzbget) ?
Post your screens for Get directory settings and Sonaar.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2005
3715 posts
275 upvotes
Georgetown
rebel_rfd wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 4:04 pm
Post your screens for Get directory settings and Sonaar.
I found the fix and updated my post!

I just had to recreate Sonarr and set the /downloads shared folder the same as the nzbget /downloads path. (ie. remove the /completed from the end)

Now everything is working!
Deal Addict
Aug 4, 2008
4704 posts
1526 upvotes
Toronto
Tiberius wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 4:10 pm
I found the fix and updated my post!

I just had to recreate Sonarr and set the /downloads shared folder the same as the nzbget /downloads path. (ie. remove the /completed from the end)

Now everything is working!
Great to hear!
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4058 posts
157 upvotes
Etobicoke
Just dug out my old NAS that I bought back in 2014. It has WD Red 2TB in it. Thinking about what to do. Do I keep it or do I buy something else?

Will be used for two purposes:
- backup family photos and videos (<1TB)
- backup part of our movie library (~300 blu-rays, so I'll backup maybe half of those)

Would this NAS still support 1080p movies over ethernet? I will use Oppo BDP-93 player to play files (convert them to MKV?) (http://watershade.net/wmcclain/BDP-93-faq.html)

Looks like 2TB Red will be too small for all of this. I might just buy two 4TB WD Red for 159 each and put them in RAID.

Does this seem like a good way forward? Thanks.
Ebay (462-0-0) - zhenya01
Heatware (28-0-0) - ViperZ
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
3949 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Any deals for WD Red 4TB HD? Canada Computers has it for $124.99 during boxing week, that's the best that I could find.

I don't really need to run my NAS 24/7, wondering if I could use WD 4TB blue to instead to save $20 on each drive?

Please advice, thanks.

Updates: Purchased from Newegg Canada with master pass promotion, so 2X WD Red 4TB cost 261.57 tax in.
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1668 posts
343 upvotes
not sure if it’s off topic. but can someone recommend an (economic) IP cam for watching the front door / driveway that would work with Synology?

i’m not a fan of using third party cloud for storing images of my home
Mar 13, 2012
887 posts
437 upvotes
Near You
chowder wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 4:38 pm
Looking for a 10TB deal.
Also looking for 10TB Deal.
💳✈️🌍 American Express Platinum+Gold+Cobalt (Free First-Class Travel) • Rogers WE • STACK
💰 HSBC PremierTangerineEQ BankMotive
📞 Freedom 13GB/45$ • Google Fi 📱 🖥️ Novus 1GIG/60$
Nov 26, 2016
80 posts
51 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
The DS418j is $399.99 via Dell, I have a Member Purchase coupon for $20 off - is this a decent deal paired up with eBates.ca? I have 2 5TB Blues that I'm planning to use first - maybe add 2 other sized WD Reds later, any issues with this approach?

Automatic backup from cellphone pictures and family pics/videos stored and remote access. I just use Kodi with real debrid for my media streaming via mini-pc hooked up to my TV, so I don't need any heavy duty media streaming from the NAS.

I have Telus Optik at home, can I setup my NAS using MoCA adapter (coax to ethernet) so hookup the LAN cable upstairs? I'd prefer that over putting in the same room as my router.
Oct 15, 2016
193 posts
228 upvotes
manho wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 4:13 pm
not sure if it’s off topic. but can someone recommend an (economic) IP cam for watching the front door / driveway that would work with Synology?

i’m not a fan of using third party cloud for storing images of my home
ipcamtlak forums love Dahua varifocals, particularly the 2MP Starlight model, IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. It costs ~160 USD DHL shipped from their resident Dahua seller, Andy. You're getting genuine Dahua product manufactured for the Chinese market, with grey market English firmware on it. Genuine American-market Dahua models are available but more expensive.

It can save to FTP or NFS. Or you can also pull from the camera by running ffmpeg on the NAS and dumping the stream to disk. I have this model and have used both the FTP and ffmpeg methods with good results.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3061 posts
503 upvotes
Water loo
newegg.ca has 15% off if you buy two seagates. I bought two this weekend.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2001
3061 posts
503 upvotes
Water loo
If your buying > 4TB drives, be aware the bolt pattern has changed (Seagate and WD from what I can tell). This may pose a mounting problem depending on your HDD tray.

"The newest large capacity hard drives have add an extra data platter (or two) in order to fit a gargantuan amount of data in the 3.5 inch form factor. In order to make room for this, they have had to move two of the screw holes on the bottom surface of the drive."

"All 4 TB drives are fine with the narrow pattern, and starting with Seagate 5 and 6 TB drives, some drives use the new wide pattern, including all of the current 10 TB drives. Western Digital produced some 4 and 5 platter larger drives with the old pattern but with shallower side screw holes, meaning that shorter screws have to be used or a washer has to be employed. Later WD high capacity drives went to the new wide hole pattern."

but.. "even within the same model line, such as the 8 TB Red series from WD, newer Reds (rebadged Hitachi drives) use the wide pattern while older 8 TB Reds used the narrow pattern with shallow holes.
Some Seagate large capacity drives have also done away with the center screws on the sides, which is a problem for some tool-less trays that have studs in the center position."

And the dirty hack/workaround

May 22, 2016
205 posts
96 upvotes
I am looking for a solution to back up my photos and videos from a number of devices, and I want extra backup in case of failure. I am also interested in streaming the photos or videos through Chromecast using Plex on my TV's.

Is the best option for me the WD My Cloud PR2100 (4TB)? I believe that comes with 2x2TB red drives that I can use for RAID 0, and then I'll purchase 2x4TB red drives and assign them to RAID 1 for my stated purpose. Does this setup make sense? I'm new to NAS just as an FYI.