Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 10th, 2019 12:31 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2001
1787 posts
821 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure what you mean. WD PR2100 has only 2 drive bay, you can't added larger drive unless you remove the 2TB drive
SS76SS wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 2:32 pm
I am looking for a solution to back up my photos and videos from a number of devices, and I want extra backup in case of failure. I am also interested in streaming the photos or videos through Chromecast using Plex on my TV's.

Is the best option for me the WD My Cloud PR2100 (4TB)? I believe that comes with 2x2TB red drives that I can use for RAID 0, and then I'll purchase 2x4TB red drives and assign them to RAID 1 for my stated purpose. Does this setup make sense? I'm new to NAS just as an FYI.
May 22, 2016
121 posts
39 upvotes
lurker99 wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 3:09 pm
Not sure what you mean. WD PR2100 has only 2 drive bay, you can't added larger drive unless you remove the 2TB drive
Oh, I had thought that the 4TB was build into the unit, and that the drive bays were empty so that you could add what you wanted. I guess then the approach I should be taking is to get a diskless drive, and buy a couple of 3 or 4 TB drives assigned to RAID 1 since that is my primarily purpose for these.

Quite pricey! $547 for the MyCloud PR2100, and $139 for a single 3TB WD red NAS drive (need to but two)......Checking camel, these aren't far off the lowest prices for these.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1187 posts
411 upvotes
GTA
Since this is the most active NAS topic here, I have a TS-251+ with 8GB for sale... not sure how much they go for on the used market?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1668 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Is a UPS strongly recommended for NAS devices?

If so, what do you recommend for a DS918+?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11662 posts
3736 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chowder wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:11 am

I think a UPS is recommended for any computer system with components like a spinning hard drive, but probably more so for NAS devices because you'll have an array of HDDs inside that won't like a sudden loss of power without an UPS.

If the intent is to only have the UPS provide backup power to allow your NAS server safely shutdown, then I think any 400-750VA UPS would do. If you want your NAS to remain operational during a blackout, then the bigger the UPS the longer runtime it will have.
Oct 15, 2016
190 posts
224 upvotes
chowder wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 11:11 am

The DS918 appears to use ext4 or Btrfs; both are very tolerant of sudden power loss. However the data can be in cache or whatever, waiting to be written, so you might power up a usable NAS that is missing recent updates.

DS918 uses <50W: any UPS will do. Recommend one with USB out, so that your NAS can know when power is lost and do an orderly shutdown.

CyberPower 425VA fits the bill and you can certainly find cheaper and smaller if you look around. Anything 100VA or larger is big enough. You can also look on kijiji for used large models (800-1500VA) with old batteries - the battery might not run a large load anymore but still be fine for the 1-2 minutes @ 10-40W that you require.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1668 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
redbag wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:37 pm
CyberPower 425VA fits the bill and you can certainly find cheaper and smaller if you look around.
Thanks. Got the 550VA model for $3 more.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3253 posts
728 upvotes
redbag wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 12:37 pm
The DS918 appears to use ext4 or Btrfs; both are very tolerant of sudden power loss. However the data can be in cache or whatever, waiting to be written, so you might power up a usable NAS that is missing recent updates.

DS918 uses <50W: any UPS will do. Recommend one with USB out, so that your NAS can know when power is lost and do an orderly shutdown.

CyberPower 425VA fits the bill and you can certainly find cheaper and smaller if you look around. Anything 100VA or larger is big enough. You can also look on kijiji for used large models (800-1500VA) with old batteries - the battery might not run a large load anymore but still be fine for the 1-2 minutes @ 10-40W that you require.
How does your nas know that it lost power to shut down? Is this necessary for a nas then?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1668 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
vivibaby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:31 pm
How does your nas know that it lost power to shut down? Is this necessary for a nas then?
I think via usb. The UPS knows power is out, so it sends a signal via usb to connected devices that power is out and to commence shut down procedures.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11662 posts
3736 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chowder wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:35 pm
I think via usb. The UPS knows power is out, so it sends a signal via usb to connected devices that power is out and to commence shut down procedures.
Yes, usually the USB will have a data port where you'd hook the supplied USB cable from the UPS to the computer. When the power goes out, the USB will signal the computer and the computer can initiate a shutdown safely. For APC UPSes the software that controls the shutdown is called Powerchute and a CD used to be bundled with the UPSes so you can install the software on the computer. It's been ages since I've purchased a UPS so I'm not sure if it still needs the software, or if the NAS has a native app that can do the same.
Oct 15, 2016
190 posts
224 upvotes
rvs007 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:42 pm
Yes, usually the USB will have a data port where you'd hook the supplied USB cable from the UPS to the computer. When the power goes out, the USB will signal the computer and the computer can initiate a shutdown safely. For APC UPSes the software that controls the shutdown is called Powerchute and a CD used to be bundled with the UPSes so you can install the software on the computer. It's been ages since I've purchased a UPS so I'm not sure if it still needs the software, or if the NAS has a native app that can do the same.
The CyberPower ones I have appear as "HID power device," same as a laptop's battery, so they work without any special software.
Deal Addict
May 15, 2016
3253 posts
728 upvotes
redbag wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:53 pm
The CyberPower ones I have appear as "HID power device," same as a laptop's battery, so they work without any special software.
What is the best and cheapest ups sufficient for a nas?
Oct 15, 2016
190 posts
224 upvotes
vivibaby wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:14 pm
What is the best and cheapest ups sufficient for a nas?
Literally any UPS with USB-out (i.e., a type B receptacle) is sufficient to provide a clean shut down. The smallest you can buy is around 300VA (200+W) while your NAS will need, as a rule of thumb, 10W per drive.

As to brands, I have three CyberPower 1500VA units and they're a great combination of features and price. The oldest is 6 years and needs a new battery. There's been at least one time where it didn't transfer fast enough to keep my PC up, so it's not perfect, but I can live with imperfect when it's less than half the price of a real commercial unit.

However, the low end CP units have more bad reviews - people complaining of short life and hard-to-replace batteries. So maybe those are not so good.

I do have two APC Back-UPS like this, a 650 and a 550, that are over 10 years old. I'm happy with those as well. Excellent performance, battery very easy to replace, but they cost more than the equivalent CyberPower, have few features and more bulk.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1668 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Decided to upgrade the RAM on my DS918+. Ordered 2x8GB crucial ddr3l from amazon. they sent me a ddr3l and a ddr4 stick. will the ddr4 work?
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
11973 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
chowder wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 9:22 am
Decided to upgrade the RAM on my DS918+. Ordered 2x8GB crucial ddr3l from amazon. they sent me a ddr3l and a ddr4 stick. will the ddr4 work?
They're physically different, so no.
Deal with it.