Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 1:58 pm
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1353 posts
408 upvotes
derrickrose wrote: What can you do with docker? I'm also looking for a NAS so just wondering for research purposes to see if I need that ability
Based on my limited understanding, Docker is like a VM, except it runs on the Kernel layer thus, much faster and lighter weight.
Asking what you can do with Docker is like asking what you can do with a VM. Which is like asking, what you can do with a computer......
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2002
1989 posts
397 upvotes
Central Ontario
derrickrose wrote: What can you do with docker? I'm also looking for a NAS so just wondering for research purposes to see if I need that ability
Docker is effectively a glorified app launcher with the apps contained within "containers". Docker containers provide rudimentary isolation from each other and have basic features enabling network isolation, exposing UDP/TCP ports, binding with dependent services, etc. They do not offer the isolation that a VM does, however they are also much lighter weight than VMs since they run on a common kernel, instead of multiple kernel instances on a hypervisor like virtual machines.

In this context, having Docker capability allows you to run more varied apps on your NAS, instead of typical file sharing services.

Even if it's possible to install Docker on the DS418play, it's not terribly practical unless the memory is maxed out (DS418play only ships with 2GB RAM).
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1515 posts
313 upvotes
Just bought the ds418play... Any good deals on drives? With 4 bays, is Raid 6 a good idea for a middle ground between redundancy and performance?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2007
1353 posts
408 upvotes
malaujai wrote: Just bought the ds418play... Any good deals on drives? With 4 bays, is Raid 6 a good idea for a middle ground between redundancy and performance?
are you seriously asking this question a couple days after $200 10TB deal posted and sold out here on RFD?

No point in buying this if you didnt buy that already.
:arrowl: Thanks if Helped! :D
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1515 posts
313 upvotes
I wasn’t able to get 4x (only got one) and never shucked before so i actually intended to use it as a regular external backup until i saw this deal

is shucking the best deal on getting drives nowadays?
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2007
1515 posts
313 upvotes
Looks like theres a couple of deals on drives...

$230 Amazon - 10tb WD external mybook drive (supposedly red drives inside) amazon

$200 CC/ME - 8tb WD red drives
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2413 posts
2293 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
People already replied but i'll reply more practically about the docker installs i use and love.

Sonarr (tv) & Radarr (movies) for following what i'm interested in; i add them there and set the minimum quality that i want to download, it regularly checks for releases, and when it finds them it sends them to either Sabnzb (for usenet) or Transmission (for torrents) for downloading. Then they get automatically extracted from the archieve, renamed, and organized in my media folder. Then i use it with an Infuse app on my Apple TV that is set to monitor my media folder for content. So basically whenever i see a movie or tv show i want, i can just add it to the queue and then magically it shows up on my tv when its available.

First time i set everything up it took me a good weekend of fiddling (plus a few hours of fine tuning during the week), but when i swapped hard drives and had to do it a second time (forgot to backup my settings like an idiot) it only took me about an hour or two to get it back to what it was before. It also keeps them always up to date as soon as an update is out.

Hope that helps explain why it has a fan following.
Nov 26, 2016
131 posts
99 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
sharpshooter88 wrote: I think it's the cheapest so far. CanadaComputers has it for 349.99 starting Friday as well.
I picked one up this morning from Memory Express today on West Broadway! Canada Computers was out of stock but they can order it in at that price too they said.