Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2024 4:10 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 13, 2017
1366 posts
176 upvotes
Dell has a decent server sale on now.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/deals/server-deals

PowerEdge T40 Tower Server (3 Hard Drive Bays): Xeon® E-2224G, 8GB ECC, 1 TB HDD. $479

PowerEdge T340 (8 Hot Plug Hard Drives) Intel® Xeon® E-2224 3.4GHz, 16GB ECC, 2-2TB HDD, dual hot plug redundant PSU. $1,469.00 (can upgrade CPU to 6 core for $67, plus other options)
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1617 posts
966 upvotes
Edmonton
teamocil wrote: Dell updated their Doorbusters.

PowerEdge T340 (8 Hot Plug Hard Drives) Intel® Xeon® E-2224 3.4GHz, 8GB ECC, 1TB HDD, dual hot plug redundant PSU. $999.00 (can upgrade CPU to 6 core for $67, plus other options)
https://www.dell.com/en-ca/work/shop/se ... 4aa7235427
Problem is most of these are suited for windows server unless you change the raid card to suit Linux based os
Mar 4, 2009
632 posts
265 upvotes
Ottawa
Great thread.

I have a DS1520+ en route and have a few questions that I've been unable to find answers to online.

My use case is I bought a new PC that has one 3.5" drive bay and two 2.5" bays. My current PC has 3 3.5" drives. I don't want to shell out for new 2.5" drives needlessly, and read that the NAS has some advantages over simply connecting to an external docking station (e.g., PLEX server, surveillance camera recording, and media sharing). I realize I could have accomplished these goals without buying a NAS, so no need to tell me this :) As my needs change/drives fail I may go a different route.

I started reading about RAID configurations and considered going that route, but am not keen on buying 4 or 5 new drives especially given that I'm not terribly concerned about data loss as I backup externally.

My questions:

1) I've read repeatedly about the need to only use drives designed for NAS. If I'm just using the NAS as JBOD/Basic do I need to worry about this?

2) Will there be a performance decrement using the NAS as JBOD/Basic compared to if the drive was installed in my PC? I realize in some RAID configurations performance would be better, I just don't want it to be worse than my current performance.

3) Is it possible to designate two of the drives as RAID 1 for additional protection for critical data and the other 3 drives as Basic/JBOD? In this case I would buy NAS-ready drives for the RAID 1 configuration, and use 2 normal drives for media/other + 1 WD Purple in the fifth bay for surveillance? Would this configuration work or do all drives within a NAS need to be NAS-specific even if not in a a RAID setup?

TIA for any feedback.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2014
1852 posts
2469 upvotes
Okanagan, BC
cdwalkman wrote: Great thread.

I have a DS1520+ en route and have a few questions that I've been unable to find answers to online.

My use case is I bought a new PC that has one 3.5" drive bay and two 2.5" bays. My current PC has 3 3.5" drives. I don't want to shell out for new 2.5" drives needlessly, and read that the NAS has some advantages over simply connecting to an external docking station (e.g., PLEX server, surveillance camera recording, and media sharing). I realize I could have accomplished these goals without buying a NAS, so no need to tell me this :) As my needs change/drives fail I may go a different route.

I started reading about RAID configurations and considered going that route, but am not keen on buying 4 or 5 new drives especially given that I'm not terribly concerned about data loss as I backup externally.

My questions:

1) I've read repeatedly about the need to only use drives designed for NAS. If I'm just using the NAS as JBOD/Basic do I need to worry about this?

2) Will there be a performance decrement using the NAS as JBOD/Basic compared to if the drive was installed in my PC? I realize in some RAID configurations performance would be better, I just don't want it to be worse than my current performance.

3) Is it possible to designate two of the drives as RAID 1 for additional protection for critical data and the other 3 drives as Basic/JBOD? In this case I would buy NAS-ready drives for the RAID 1 configuration, and use 2 normal drives for media/other + 1 WD Purple in the fifth bay for surveillance? Would this configuration work or do all drives within a NAS need to be NAS-specific even if not in a a RAID setup?

TIA for any feedback.
1) Depends on your budget. If cost is not a consideration, then sure, you can buy enterprise drives. Otherwise, it is much less expensive to buy a larger number of external drives to shuck. I would expect some kind of lemon/failure rate, even with enterprise drives. Shucked white labels are most likely good enough for a homelab NAS.

2) Accessing files on a drive that is installed in your local machine will almost always be more seamless than accessing the same files stored on a NAS. Speed will be limited by your network, connection protocol used, and (NAS) hardware bottlenecks. If you are connecting to the NAS over a fast LAN, there's a reasonable chance you won't notice it as much more than some slight lag with loading files (compared to HDD; it would be more noticeable if compared to local SSD).

3) You would have to create separate storage pools. Storing a copy of the data on the same hardware (NAS) isn't really a great way to back up data. You can use whatever drives you want, but I would personally not mix a Purple drive with non-purple drives in a storage pool/array. In the event that you need to rebuild your RAID array, I think it would be greatly slowed down by the "weakest link" - the Purple drive.
Jun 16, 2008
975 posts
1077 upvotes
I'm looking to build my 1st NAS. Been watching drive prices for a while and just jumped on 4x of these Seagate 14TB externals due to extremely low $18.57/TB:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B088S5S9NC/?co ... dp_it&th=1

Any tips on shucking?
My research shows that these 14TBs should be high quality CMR drives suitable for NAS use right?
What's the diff between IronWolf and Exos?
Also, what's the best way to verify them before shucking, ideally on a Mac as I don't have access to a Win machine?
Jun 12, 2010
844 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
Hey everyone. Looking to get into the NAS game, have been doing a lot of reading and am wondering if others can help validate some of my planning.

Use case scenario: NAS primarily meant to be PleX media server (library currently ~1TB), Radarr + Sonarr via Docker apps, Time Machine backup for 2 MBP + 1 Mac Mini in the house (2TB storage total across the 3 devices). Also to back up photo albums, iOS devices etc etc...

Given the need for some computing power with transcoding to various PleX clients, I was looking at the DS220+, currently on sale for $374 on newegg eBay. I'm not particularly heavy on data files etc, and this is just an apartment NAS build so I don't foresee myself needing 20+TB in storage. I was planning on starting with 1x10tb drive and eventually grabbing another to run in RAID1 for redundancy.

Is this overkill, or am I generally on the right track?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1617 posts
966 upvotes
Edmonton
wiffle wrote: Hey everyone. Looking to get into the NAS game, have been doing a lot of reading and am wondering if others can help validate some of my planning.

Use case scenario: NAS primarily meant to be PleX media server (library currently ~1TB), Radarr + Sonarr via Docker apps, Time Machine backup for 2 MBP + 1 Mac Mini in the house (2TB storage total across the 3 devices). Also to back up photo albums, iOS devices etc etc...

Given the need for some computing power with transcoding to various PleX clients, I was looking at the DS220+, currently on sale for $374 on newegg eBay. I'm not particularly heavy on data files etc, and this is just an apartment NAS build so I don't foresee myself needing 20+TB in storage. I was planning on starting with 1x10tb drive and eventually grabbing another to run in RAID1 for redundancy.

There was something in this thread that the plus models are not good i.e you are better buying DS220 instead of DS220+
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
1100 posts
690 upvotes
wiffle wrote: Hey everyone. Looking to get into the NAS game, have been doing a lot of reading and am wondering if others can help validate some of my planning.

How much transcoding are you expecting to need? How many concurrent streams and at what resolution?

Even the + models will struggle with transcoding if you're trying 4k or multiple 1080p. If you're expecting 4 concurrent 1080p transcodes, you'll likely be disappointed unless you've got Plex Pass and get a model that has quicksync CPU (the 1520+ for example). IMO, it's better to just get clients (ex. NVIDIA Shield) that can handle Direct Play so you can avoid transcoding altogether.

About a year ago, I was stuck between buying an 1819+ or a 1520+. The former has 3 more bays but transcoding power is limited, whereas the latter can do around 5 concurrent 1080p streams. Then I realized there were actually very few times (for me) where transcoding was truly required. I went with the 1819+ and have no regrets. Infact, I bought a 2nd 1819+ later in the year.
Jun 12, 2010
844 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
Fac1 wrote: How much transcoding are you expecting to need? How many concurrent streams and at what resolution?

Even the + models will struggle with transcoding if you're trying 4k or multiple 1080p. If you're expecting 4 concurrent 1080p transcodes, you'll likely be disappointed unless you've got Plex Pass and get a model that has quicksync CPU (the 1520+ for example). IMO, it's better to just get clients (ex. NVIDIA Shield) that can handle Direct Play so you can avoid transcoding altogether.

About a year ago, I was stuck between buying an 1819+ or a 1520+. The former has 3 more bays but transcoding power is limited, whereas the latter can do around 5 concurrent 1080p streams. Then I realized there were actually very few times (for me) where transcoding was truly required. I went with the 1819+ and have no regrets. Infact, I bought a 2nd 1819+ later in the year.
These are good points, thanks. For the majority of the time, likely 1 stream, 2 concurrent MAX at most likely at 1080p. I'm actually uncertain whether or not my major clients require transcoding vs. direct play.... Main TV in the living room is on Fire TV 4K, other units are relatively new (2017+ MacBook units) and various iPads/iOS devices in the house. I don't currently have Plex Pass to enable HW acceleration but will likely get it once lifetime pass comes up again. Good points. Will consider.

What's the best way to figure out if my Fire TV is transcoding or not..? Looking at the server?

I've also been dabbling with forking out $$ for the 920+ for future upgradeability.. but tbh, not sure if I will need it. My lifetime storage use is currently <3Tb including onboard storage. I figure even if I get 2x8tb drives in RAID1 this would be sufficient for my needs, at least for the next 5 years... Hm.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
1100 posts
690 upvotes
wiffle wrote: These are good points, thanks. For the majority of the time, likely 1 stream, 2 concurrent MAX at most likely at 1080p. I'm actually uncertain whether or not my major clients require transcoding vs. direct play.... Main TV in the living room is on Fire TV 4K, other units are relatively new (2017+ MacBook units) and various iPads/iOS devices in the house. I don't currently have Plex Pass to enable HW acceleration but will likely get it once lifetime pass comes up again. Good points. Will consider.
With the MBP, you'd be running the native OSX Plex app, I'd imagine. So that would be direct play. And I believe the FireTV is capable of Direct as well although don't quote me on that.
What's the best way to figure out if my Fire TV is transcoding or not..? Looking at the server?
The server Dashboard should mention it when you've got a video playing. Use that method to check the status of Direct for your MBP and iOS devices.
I've also been dabbling with forking out $$ for the 920+ for future upgradeability.. but tbh, not sure if I will need it. My lifetime storage use is currently <3Tb including onboard storage. I figure even if I get 2x8tb drives in RAID1 this would be sufficient for my needs, at least for the next 5 years... Hm.
I typically never recommend 2-bay models. Not that they're bad, but what often happens is as you get more into the NAS, the size of your media collection grows especially if you take advantage of automation solutions like Sonarr running in Docker. Before long, you're out of space and looking at buying a 2nd device which eclipses the cost of a 4-bay solution. If you're confident that this won't happen, and you're fine with just deleting files when you're at capacity, then by all means the 2-bay solution will suffice.
Jun 12, 2010
844 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
Fac1 wrote: With the MBP, you'd be running the native OSX Plex app, I'd imagine. So that would be direct play. And I believe the FireTV is capable of Direct as well although don't quote me on that.

The server Dashboard should mention it when you've got a video playing. Use that method to check the status of Direct for your MBP and iOS devices.

I typically never recommend 2-bay models. Not that they're bad, but what often happens is as you get more into the NAS, the size of your media collection grows especially if you take advantage of automation solutions like Sonarr running in Docker. Before long, you're out of space and looking at buying a 2nd device which eclipses the cost of a 4-bay solution. If you're confident that this won't happen, and you're fine with just deleting files when you're at capacity, then by all means the 2-bay solution will suffice.
Yeah - damn. Just realized that most of my media is .mkv which is not supported by FireTV - active transcoding whenever I'm playing something with my MBP being my PLEX server for the time being. I suppose 220+/920+ should be able to handle 1080p transcodes to 1 unit at a time, at least from what I've read this seems to be the case. 4k perhaps not so much.

Yeah, must admit - I see the logic behind the 2-bay vs 4-bay future upgradeability debate. Leaning towards the 920+ just as a buy one and never think about it again kind of thing.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2005
1244 posts
87 upvotes
So to set up a plex server, what is needed?

-A 4 bay NAS with some HDs
-A Macbook connected to the router permanently and that runs Plex server? What is the minimum requirements for 4k playback (server is only streaming the files tho).

-My playback device is Roku.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2682 posts
1779 upvotes
Durham
Hi,

Anyone have a recent guide on building a media server (strictly for Plex) for under $1000?

Thanks!
Jun 26, 2015
196 posts
319 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
jugojugo wrote: Hi,

Anyone have a recent guide on building a media server (strictly for Plex) for under $1000?

Thanks!
Simple , barebone and super cheat:
buy an nvidia shield and hook up an external hard drive. Thats probably around $500 all in with change to spare.

You'll have to tell us more about what your needs are though, as this can really become a rabbit hole.
wiffle wrote: 4k perhaps not so much.
I have a duo CPU server and it struggles transcoding even one 4k stream. At this point unless you have the hardware to direct play 4K content, its still not advised.
Jun 12, 2010
844 posts
182 upvotes
Vancouver
Rhinogator wrote: Simple , barebone and super cheat:
buy an nvidia shield and hook up an external hard drive. Thats probably around $500 all in with change to spare.

You'll have to tell us more about what your needs are though, as this can really become a rabbit hole.
Can you elaborate a bit on why the Shield is so often recommended as the premiere unit to set up as PMS? Is it because of its CPU and transcoding powers, though it seems like it does have some issues with 1080p transcoding to multiple devices....
Debating between this and a DS920+ as PMS.. though I know the use case scenarios are quite diff ( would also be using the NAS for time machine backup and general storage as well).
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2009
1100 posts
690 upvotes
wiffle wrote: Can you elaborate a bit on why the Shield is so often recommended as the premiere unit to set up as PMS? Is it because of its CPU and transcoding powers, though it seems like it does have some issues with 1080p transcoding to multiple devices....
Debating between this and a DS920+ as PMS.. though I know the use case scenarios are quite diff ( would also be using the NAS for time machine backup and general storage as well).
It's inexpensive and works well as a Plex client, since it can Direct Play so many files. The GPU is what allows it to punch above its weight and do a bit of transcoding. Although I don't recall if you need a Plex Pass to "unlock" the GPU power. For those that already have an underpowered NAS that can't run PMS (this was me from 2015 to 2020), it makes sense as you can just use the NAS for pure storage and have the Shield run PMS. But if you don't already have a NAS, I wouldn't recommend it (as a server) unless you're good with using external HDDs hooked up via USB.
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2009
2682 posts
1779 upvotes
Durham
Rhinogator wrote: Simple , barebone and super cheat:

I have a duo CPU server and it struggles transcoding even one 4k stream. At this point unless you have the hardware to direct play 4K content, its still not advised.
Max users locally: 2
Max users remote: 3

I currently play at a max of 1080p, but I would like to future-proof a bit to play 4k content.