Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 1:26 am
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4110 posts
177 upvotes
Etobicoke
btkli wrote: I don't think the "J" models are comparable to the "+" models. I am not 100% sure since I haven't read up on the 220J, but my understanding is that the J models are the basic models, which typically aren't meant to do much transcoding/encoding. It's meant to be more a basic NAS box with more basic features.
Thank you for clarification. I just read the same thing, but we are talking quad CPU with DDR4 memory (not upgradeable, confirmed), so would be interesting. Also hopefully 220+ will come out soon, and 218+ price will drop.
Ebay (634-0-0) - zhenya01
Heatware (28-0-0) - ViperZ
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2078 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
ViperZ wrote: Thank you for clarification. I just read the same thing, but we are talking quad CPU with DDR4 memory (not upgradeable, confirmed), so would be interesting. Also hopefully 220+ will come out soon, and 218+ price will drop.
The other important thing for Synology is you need an Intel CPU for docker, the Realtek one doesn’t support it. Makes it worth spending the extra money if you’re going to use it (ie can automate downloads with Usenet/torrents/etc).

There’s been some decent sales recently.
Mar 6, 2018
83 posts
45 upvotes
Quick question. Newbie to NAS. I've read that you can use two different disk size to set up RAID 1, but the volume size will be restricted to the smallest of the two disks. My question is if I set up RAID 1 with two disks in sizes 5TB and 8TB, will I be able to use the remaining 3TB on the 8TB drive (don't care for RAID 1 functionality obviously in this case)?
Apr 6, 2007
265 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
kwscott wrote: Quick question. Newbie to NAS. I've read that you can use two different disk size to set up RAID 1, but the volume size will be restricted to the smallest of the two disks. My question is if I set up RAID 1 with two disks in sizes 5TB and 8TB, will I be able to use the remaining 3TB on the 8TB drive (don't care for RAID 1 functionality obviously in this case)?
The easiest way for you to check is to use this:
https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/ ... ator?hdds=
Apr 6, 2007
265 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
kwscott wrote: Thanks. I just did. But basically it tells me how much unused space I would have. And in my case it’s 3TB. But it doesn’t tell me whether I can use the space for other storage or not?
I haven't heard of anyone using a portion of the drive as raid and another portion of the drive as not raid. However I suppose it is possible, to partition a drive and using the partitions as such purposes. I guess something you can look into
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2004
4110 posts
177 upvotes
Etobicoke
Looks like Newegg has a slight discount on DS218+ right now ($404, so $40 off). I got a notification from ebay, limit 2 per person lol.
Ebay (634-0-0) - zhenya01
Heatware (28-0-0) - ViperZ
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
4872 posts
903 upvotes
ViperZ wrote: Looks like Newegg has a slight discount on DS218+ right now ($404, so $40 off). I got a notification from ebay, limit 2 per person lol.
*Patiently waiting for a deal on a 4-bay*
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
4872 posts
903 upvotes
I see that the Newegg eBay store has the DS1019+ for $929.99, plus another ~10% off using code TIMEFORTEN. Total including shipping and taxes is $980.65. What's the hotness meter on this? I've seen the 918+ drop to $630 at one point, and I have the tendency to wait for products to drop as close to ATL as possible, so I'd be paying an extra $270 to get the DS1019+.
Mar 22, 2017
70 posts
69 upvotes
Bit of a random question for folks.

As all others, I'm using my work laptop at home right now and need to connect to my work VPN in order to access my email, intranet and use other work apps on my laptop.

I'm wondering if there's a way for me to connect to my Netgear NAS from my laptop while I'm connected to my work VPN?
Jan 26, 2011
150 posts
131 upvotes
Ajax
Anyone using their NAS to stream 4k movies to a shield? I'd be interested in your experiences. Im looking to download content from usenet into a NAS then stream to my Nvidia shields. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
13564 posts
4670 upvotes
Ottawa
kingest_kong wrote: Anyone using their NAS to stream 4k movies to a shield? I'd be interested in your experiences. Im looking to download content from usenet into a NAS then stream to my Nvidia shields. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
yup, it works fine......it's the primary use case of the Shield besides the paid streaming apps. Set up a share that Kodi on Shield can access.
RFD is not just about saving money, it's about the thrill of the hunt and getting the stuff I want without paying full price like Joe Shmoe did.
This applies to everyday items as well as high end items that I don't really need.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1032 posts
446 upvotes
Markham
kingest_kong wrote: Anyone using their NAS to stream 4k movies to a shield? I'd be interested in your experiences. Im looking to download content from usenet into a NAS then stream to my Nvidia shields. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
From experience using Plex on a DS918+:

The Shield can DirectPlay video H.264 and H265 straight off the NAS.
The only issue is with audio. AAC/EAC is fine, but TrueHD/DTS-MA etc, will require an AVR to decode. Otherwise, it will force transcode the entire video and audio to a compatible format.

As for transcoding, the DS918+ which hardware transcodes 1080p fine, but has trouble with 4K.