Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 2nd, 2020 1:26 am
Jan 26, 2011
150 posts
131 upvotes
Ajax
Expliciate wrote: From experience using Plex on a DS918+:

The Shield can DirectPlay video H.264 and H265 straight off the NAS.
The only issue is with audio. AAC/EAC is fine, but TrueHD/DTS-MA etc, will require an AVR to decode. Otherwise, it will force transcode the entire video and audio to a compatible format.

As for transcoding, the DS918+ which hardware transcodes 1080p fine, but has trouble with 4K.
Thanks for the response.

So in essence, if my sole purpose is to stream 4k movies to the shield to display in 4k, there'll be issues?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1032 posts
446 upvotes
Markham
kingest_kong wrote: Thanks for the response.

So in essence, if my sole purpose is to stream 4k movies to the shield to display in 4k, there'll be issues?
It will handle 4K just fine. So long as you can directplay the videos.
If transcoding, even with a top-spec computer with GPU hardware acceleration, 4K will not always be perfectly smooth and have mild buffering.

The only thing to take note of is the type of audio included in your 4K movie downloads.

For instance, a 4K Bluray Remux (Full rip) may include the TrueHD audio track as well as a compatibility AC3/EAC track. The shield can directplay the 4K video with AC3/EAC track. But if you play the 4K video with truehd audio selected without an AVR, it will force transcoded the entire movie to downsample the audio track resulting in frequent buffering.

Nov 13, 2016
75 posts
15 upvotes
Expliciate wrote: It will handle 4K just fine. So long as you can directplay the videos.
If transcoding, even with a top-spec computer with GPU hardware acceleration, 4K will not always be perfectly smooth and have mild buffering.

The only thing to take note of is the type of audio included in your 4K movie downloads.

For instance, a 4K Bluray Remux (Full rip) may include the TrueHD audio track as well as a compatibility AC3/EAC track. The shield can directplay the 4K video with AC3/EAC track. But if you play the 4K video with truehd audio selected without an AVR, it will force transcoded the entire movie to downsample the audio track resulting in frequent buffering.

Are you using software or hardware transcoding with those 4k videos?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1032 posts
446 upvotes
Markham
HarryMuscle wrote: Are you using software or hardware transcoding with those 4k videos?
I directplay the 4K videos since I have an AVR that decodes the TrueHD/DTS audio tracks.
The DS918+ supports hardware transcoding with intel quicksync if needed.
Nov 13, 2016
75 posts
15 upvotes
Expliciate wrote: I directplay the 4K videos since I have an AVR that decodes the TrueHD/DTS audio tracks.
The DS918+ supports hardware transcoding with intel quicksync if needed.
I was actually referring to the buffering issues for transcoded 4k videos ... was that with software or hardware transcoding?

Thanks.
Jan 26, 2011
150 posts
131 upvotes
Ajax
Expliciate wrote: It will handle 4K just fine. So long as you can directplay the videos.

Pardon my ignorance but why would someone have the NAS due the transcoding?
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2010
1032 posts
446 upvotes
Markham
HarryMuscle wrote: I was actually referring to the buffering issues for transcoded 4k videos ... was that with software or hardware transcoding?

Thanks.
Buffering issues will persist with software transcoding. It can still handle 4K with hardware transcoding, though I don't find it smooth enough for continous usage (very spotty buffering).
kingest_kong wrote: Pardon my ignorance but why would someone have the NAS due the transcoding?
If every video requires transcoding, the NAS is probably not ideal. Though most of the time, you would rarely encounter the need to transcode.
Transcoding only occurs when you're trying to play content where your client does not support decoding natively.

The NAS is very versatile in the sense that it can still hardware transcode 1080p content if needed.

I have the native plex server set up which allows for hardware transcoding.
When I'm at home, I have a Shield TV along with AVR passthrough which allows for directplaying all content.
I can also access the server remotely from a different location and still play the content. I would choose to transcode it to 1080p should the external client not support directplay. (eg. same movie but through a firestick at a friend's house).

In the end, you'd want to avoid transcoding, but if there is the need, it can still be done reasonably well at 1080p.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
4873 posts
903 upvotes
Curious what everyone's opinions are on the DS918+ (or the future DS920+) vs 1019+. Cheapest I've seen the DS918+ was around $630 when you looked at coupon codes, Rakuten cash back etc. The DS1019+ has been dropped down to $870 on the Newegg eBay a couple times lately. I have the mindset of 'buy once, cry once' and think I'm leaning towards the 1019+ for the extra bay and therefore an extra 10-12TB of space depending on what hard drives I end up with.

Would you guys pay an extra $270 for the benefit of an extra bay? My worry with the DS918+ would be needing to upgrade a helluva lot sooner than the 1019+ if I continue on my current trajectory of saving 1080p/4K remuxes
Feb 23, 2008
825 posts
74 upvotes
I have dis 1019+ and love it. I had a 4 bay ds413j and wanted extra bay. I was considering the ds1618 for 6 bays but thought the Plex transcoding might be more beneficial and if I exceed 16-20GB per bay on time there’s a problem along with it taking 2-4 days to get the data off each drive

Currently have 4x10tb but have extra 10tb hanging around for spares
Apr 15, 2008
68 posts
32 upvotes
JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo wrote: Bit of a random question for folks.

As all others, I'm using my work laptop at home right now and need to connect to my work VPN in order to access my email, intranet and use other work apps on my laptop.

I'm wondering if there's a way for me to connect to my Netgear NAS from my laptop while I'm connected to my work VPN?
I believe your work VPN would have to support split tunneling. Or you would have to make your NAS open to the internet.
Nov 22, 2012
968 posts
693 upvotes
VANCOUVER
game_fanatic wrote: Curious what everyone's opinions are on the DS918+ (or the future DS920+) vs 1019+. Cheapest I've seen the DS918+ was around $630 when you looked at coupon codes, Rakuten cash back etc. The DS1019+ has been dropped down to $870 on the Newegg eBay a couple times lately. I have the mindset of 'buy once, cry once' and think I'm leaning towards the 1019+ for the extra bay and therefore an extra 10-12TB of space depending on what hard drives I end up with.

Would you guys pay an extra $270 for the benefit of an extra bay? My worry with the DS918+ would be needing to upgrade a helluva lot sooner than the 1019+ if I continue on my current trajectory of saving 1080p/4K remuxes
Definitely a personal decision.

If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, then get the 5-bay NAS for sure. But the difference isn't just the $270. It's another two 10-12TB HDD, one for use and one for spare. But imagine if a second drive goes down in the middle of rebuilding the array?

Personally, my really important data is tax documents and family pictures, so only about 300GB total. The rest are movies, just like you, so I settled for a 4-bay NAS. I have two 8TB drives that I bought 2 years ago and just shucked, but if I were to buy today, I'd buy at least 10 if not 12TB drives... this is also part of my point that trying to future proof is pointless. Three years ago when I was buying hard drives, 8TB seemed big, but by today's standards, they are quite small. You can buy 10TB drives now, but in 4 years, 12 and 16TB drives *might* be commonplace. Might not.

Right now, the 918+ struggles with 4k HDR HEVC encodings once you factor in subtitles and the audio track. I'd be surprised if the equivalent NAS in 4 years didn't blow away the 918+/920+ or the 1019+, at a similar or cheaper price point.

CN: If money is not an option, then 5 or 6-bay for sure. But since you're asking, you probably have a budget so 4-bay IF you're not going to max it out within the next 3 years. Because nothing would suck more than losing 2 drives and all your data.
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
2079 posts
1991 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
game_fanatic wrote: Curious what everyone's opinions are on the DS918+ (or the future DS920+) vs 1019+. Cheapest I've seen the DS918+ was around $630 when you looked at coupon codes, Rakuten cash back etc. The DS1019+ has been dropped down to $870 on the Newegg eBay a couple times lately. I have the mindset of 'buy once, cry once' and think I'm leaning towards the 1019+ for the extra bay and therefore an extra 10-12TB of space depending on what hard drives I end up with.

Also the 1019+ comes with 8GB memory preinstalled vs the 918+'s 4GB, so if you were going to upgrade the 918's 4GB that saves you some money/time. Personally I'd buy more bays than you need. When I bought my 218+ I only had a single hard drive and figured 2 would be enough, while now I have 2x 12TB hard drives and I'm running out of space so looking at upgrading.

Also do you need to do 4k transcoding? I'm taking a serious look at the DS1618+ or DS1819+ with 6/8 bays but lacking the ability to do 4k transcoding, just to never worry about needing more slots.. All of my use is just direct playing and running docker containers, so not sure I need it. I also want to use one slot as a SSD temp volume (for downloading / extracting zip's from usenet), and because the nvme slots on the bottom cannot be used for volumes they're useless to me.
Mar 23, 2009
686 posts
400 upvotes
Toronto
For me the cost difference was not worth it... The same cpu so just paying for the extra bay and another 4gb ram, but I bought 4gb more for $45. So ~$225 for the extra bay is not worth it. If I need more bays in the future I'll put that money towards the expansion unit.
Dec 20, 2010
384 posts
270 upvotes
I bought the 918+ when that 630ish price after deal/cashback happened, and also saw the recent price on the 5 bay but decided against upgrading for the extra cost (the NAS wasn't set up yet)
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
4873 posts
903 upvotes
Thanks for the replies everyone. One thing I didn't consider that @b31770 mentioned was not only the extra cost of the NAS itself but also the extra drive, so I'm spending an extra $500ish to take advantage of that extra bay. At that point I'd be better off taking that $500 and just putting it towards a whatever cheaper 4-bay unit is available in a few years.