Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 1:58 pm
Oct 16, 2011
275 posts
171 upvotes
iamdman wrote: You talking about newegg on ebay for the 220+? I just picked it up with $5 ebay coupon for $380.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/174329344678
Might go lower during BF, i think the lowest it would go is like 349.99.
Yep, that's the one. I just decided to pull the trigger myself, I also got the $5 off offer.

You're right about the fact it might be cheaper on Black Friday but this is still a decent deal.
jajola wrote: Seems like a great deal. I can’t decide if I should pull the trigger or wait for BF.
Looks like the DS218+ was $345 last year on Black Friday ($255 USD) and it was 1.5 years old at that point, so the DS220+ going for $350-$360 sounds about right.

So this is a $20-25 (+ tax) premium to get it earlier and guaranteed (no worries about it running out of stock).

I don't think you can go wrong either way. If you don't need it right away, go ahead and wait. Worst case scenario the price doesn't drop to $350 but maybe just to $375 or something like that.

If you do need it right away, this is a good enough deal that anytime other than a month before Black Friday, you'd be happy paying this much.
Omesuri wrote: Tried pulling Seagate Expansion 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM USB 3.0 External Hard Drive(STEB4000100) from New Westminster Supercentre because StockTrack said it had 3 in stock. It's truly OOS (or the employees were too lazy to look for them in the back).
StockTrack is awesome but once the stock gets to below 3 like in your case, you can't really be sure the item is in stock anymore. It could be in the back like you mentioned, and the employees are just being lazy about putting it out, but it could also be that some employees have stashed it away for themselves to purchase later, or even that someone has shoplifted it and therefore it still looks like it's in stock.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5227 posts
1126 upvotes
Not sure if anyone is in the market for a DS1817 (8-bay), but a used one has popped up on BH Photo. $748.74USD including delivery/duties, about $1000 CAD after currency conversion. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... y_nas.html

I picked up a used DS1019+ from BH a few months back and it looked brand new, runs great!
Aug 14, 2009
487 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
game_fanatic wrote: Not sure if anyone is in the market for a DS1817 (8-bay), but a used one has popped up on BH Photo. $748.74USD including delivery/duties, about $1000 CAD after currency conversion. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... y_nas.html

I picked up a used DS1019+ from BH a few months back and it looked brand new, runs great!
Just a note to anyone interested - this model doesn't support BTRFS, ECC RAM, or Docker. Was going to pull the trigger until I learned that. I'm waiting for a good deal on a 1819+ or 1618+ (BF or used on B&H).
Aug 14, 2009
487 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
Recently upgraded the RAM on my 1819+ and overall system responsiveness is very noticeably improved.

I was running the original 4GB stick and added another 8GB that I had lying around (12 GB total). I found that overall responsiveness was not very snappy, for example opening up a new instance of file station would take a couple seconds, certain applications would force me to reload the tab in my web browser to get it running again, etc. Whether that's entirely down to 12 GB being too little or it not running in "dual channel" I'm not sure.

I ended up upgrading to 32GB of ECC RAM (was on sale for $128/stick which is an all-time low, I believe) and am now getting the performance I had expected. The reason is the excess RAM gets utilized as system cache by DSM, so my cache has increased from 8-10 GB to 25-30 GB.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2003
1783 posts
504 upvotes
is it only the + line that supports Docker? I know the J line does not. And the product line with just the number? SE? Play?
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
2994 posts
1501 upvotes
GTA
You know, I always kick myself when I see others with Synology that can run a docker, and I think that's such a great upgrade from my tiny DS416J

However price wise the DS416J was unbeatable and is a workhorse, slow but works great

Recently I've posted this amazon.com deal amazon-com-iconikal-rockchip-rk3328-sin ... 9-2402410/ and have been getting the ROCK64 up and running. For US$ 10 + shipping, taxes, etc, using the Ubuntu docker image and it's so far rock solid running portainer-ce, pihole, sonarr, and radarr (with the media folders mounted as NFS onto the ROCK64). This allowed me to get the MONO pig off my Synology and should drastically improve performance

Anyways, for those of you without docker capabilities on your Synology, there is an easy and cheap solution
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
9536 posts
2258 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Bought an Amazon warehouse deal for an as new DS218 for $334, good deal?

Depending on the condition, I could potentially ask for another 10-15% off.

Edit: Got another 10% off lol
Last edited by Daijoubu on Oct 5th, 2020 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 10, 2004
588 posts
1190 upvotes
Toronto
Canada Computers has the WD Gold 10TB on Sale for $399.99!

I wanted to buy a couple of these drives, but would be happy to get 1.
The Drive is listed as in-stock in their ON Special Order Warehouse.
I called and tried to order and they said I needed to order from a store. I went to the Kennedy location only to be told they cannot order it.
Does anyone know how to order from the CanadaComputers.com ON Special Order Warehouse?

-Callahan-
Deal Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
5227 posts
1126 upvotes
FrancisBacon wrote: I just posted a $700 deal on a DS1019+. This is the model I have, it's excellent.

amazon-ca-synology-5bay-nas-ds1019-700-2408312/
This was a great deal, I have the 1019+ myself and it's been great (albeit I've only had it for 3 months or so). I snagged mine used from BH Photo and it was about $761 all-in. If someone happened to snag this and wants a cheap 10TB hard drive I'm still trying to sell my Seagate Backup Plus ($230 w/ receipt!)
Apr 10, 2013
200 posts
18 upvotes
What's considered a "good deal" price point (per TB) for a WD Red Plus (-EFRX Models, CMR )
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1087 posts
193 upvotes
I find most people aim for about $20 / TB.

I went a bit over at $25 / TB by getting the Seagate External drives and shucking them. (check my post history for the exact model)

These carry the Seagate Exos Enterprise drives in them, which I've seen & used at work.
If my post has helped you out, gimme a thumbs up! Buy/Sell/Trade with Confidence!

BST Feedback: 100% Positive on RFD, Heatware, eBay 50-0-0 (closed 2017-08-29), and I use to manage a AT&T Group Plan.