Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 9:22 am
Apr 10, 2013
241 posts
28 upvotes
What do you guys use for cloud backup/archival from your NAS? ... I heard Synology to AWS Glacier end up the file being "locked" to be retrieved to a Synology device (there are ways around it to restore the names, but not as straight forward)

Thoughts?
Jan 1, 2015
599 posts
472 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RFDMadeMeBuyStuff wrote: Trying to decide on the right value (model/spec v price) on NAS for my use, I will go for Synology as opposed to QNAP or other ones given the general consensus their software are miles ahead.

I don't mind spending extra money if it's worth it ... my need is mostly for regular backup of files & pictures

Synology 220+ - $399 (newegg-synology-2-bay-nas-diskstation-d ... 2410964/2/)
Synology 220j - $239
Synology 218 - $339

I am trying to avoid going for the most expensive because it's the best deal, but does its performance / hardware / etc makes it really worth it though?
Avoid J series. Unless all you truly need is cloud storage.
Oct 17, 2002
917 posts
143 upvotes
Oakville
I'm currently using a DS212J unit that's still working, but slow as hell, and noticed that plex isnt supported for that device anymore.

Been using it mainly for storage (photos, movies, etc...) and streaming movies on Kodi, but looking to use plex to stream on multiple devices as well.

The DS220+ is the unit that I think would work best, but I've also been eyeing the DS720+ as well due to expandability and well, it just looks a lot nicer. Is the DS220+ a good choice for my needs? is the DS720+ overkill?

Yes, I know it's only 2 bays, but it's been more than enough for my needs.
Apr 6, 2007
354 posts
235 upvotes
Toronto
KennyX wrote: I'm currently using a DS212J unit that's still working, but slow as hell, and noticed that plex isnt supported for that device anymore.

Been using it mainly for storage (photos, movies, etc...) and streaming movies on Kodi, but looking to use plex to stream on multiple devices as well.

The DS220+ is the unit that I think would work best, but I've also been eyeing the DS720+ as well due to expandability and well, it just looks a lot nicer. Is the DS220+ a good choice for my needs? is the DS720+ overkill?

Yes, I know it's only 2 bays, but it's been more than enough for my needs.
I think you get a lot more uses out of the NAS just by having a 4bay NAS. For one you can have Raid backup, which helps safeguard your data, and makes it much easier for when you need to swap out a drive. But I do understand it's more expensive, and not just the NAS, but also to get the extra drives. I guess if you are only needing the Synology apps for connectivities, then I suppose the 2 bays are good. But I think 4 bays are worth the extra money
Mar 9, 2014
920 posts
550 upvotes
Ottawa
I’m looking to replace a QNAP 4 bay NAS with another one. What would be the way to go in the QNAP family and the price to aim for?
Apr 10, 2013
241 posts
28 upvotes
So just a week ago Synology 220+ was for $399 and I hesitated, now it's $375 (ebay-canada-synology-ds220-nas-375-2414317/)
  • Realistically, expecting BF to be even lower?
  • It's from Newegg through eBay, what's the catch as opposed to buying it directly from Newegg?
  • It says free return, so I could just buy this now and if BF has lower price, return it?
Really tempted, but still unsure
Jul 6, 2007
78 posts
44 upvotes
GTA
In case anyone is interested, I'm selling my brand new Synology 920+. I decided to upgrade to a different model but missed the cut off for the return window. I have it on sale for $790 or best offer. Located in the GTA. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1140 posts
598 upvotes
GTA
Apologies for threadjacking; I have a 418play for sale if anyone is looking for a unit.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Mar 13, 2013
9 posts
1 upvote
Looking for drives to use with my new 920+, not sure if I want to pull the trigger and shuck one of these externals, or hold out for some black friday deals.

IamTHEvilONE wrote: The Seagate externals have the Exos X 16TB in them. @ 400 / 16T is exactly $25 ... but I needed the density.

However, they are the top of the line enterprise drive ... not even specifically for a NAS.

The WD Reds 6TB EFRX, which is what they are replacing ... are just old and needed new capacity for work.

$20 is a moving target. The drives I bought have an ATL of 390 in the external ... but if you buy them as a standalone drive they are like 600-900 depending on where you look.

Hence a number of people shuck drives.

I just registered mine, and they show a valid warranty based on SN until the end of 2023 (exactly Dec 31st). So I'm more than happy with this approach to get close to that mythical number of $20 / TB pre-tax.
tatung wrote: Is there a mega thread for hard drive deals on here?
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1131 posts
319 upvotes
you'd need to list any requirements you have. QNAP has a wide array.

I recently went with a TS-873, but it's partially used for work and a virtualization lab over iSCSI.
If my post has helped you out, gimme a thumbs up! Buy/Sell/Trade with Confidence!

BST Feedback: 100% Positive on RFD, Heatware, eBay 50-0-0 (closed 2017-08-29), and I use to manage a AT&T Group Plan.