Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 26th, 2020 8:03 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2010
1895 posts
319 upvotes
Ottawa
NETGEAR RNDP6000-200NAS $629.99 @ NE http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 22086-L05A
It was $699 at Newegg.com a while ago http://slickdeals.net/f/5842810-NETGEAR ... -at-Newegg
Looks like the cheapest is around $900 now. Is this a hot price?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Jr. Member
Jan 12, 2004
164 posts
115 upvotes
Calgary
nfnx wrote: Makes a lot of sense thank you. I am fine with the size limitations as I will likely buy same size discs all the way through (at 3TB).
It says that it will automatically handle the redundancy setup by inserting a second disk - any chance I'd lose the data already on the first disc by doing so?

Anyone with experience with the readynas ?
If you're using XRAID/XRAID2, you should be able to simply insert the new (to the NAS) drive and if you log into the web interface, you will be given options for how you would like the new drive to be used. Once you select an option, the migration will take place, but I believe your existing data will remain available. The process can take several days if you've filled up several TB's worth of data, but because the data remains available, you won't really notice. The new array volume available space will be viewable once the process has completed.

Regarding your speed issues, I believe all 4-bay and up ReadyNAS units are gigabit, and probably 2-bay ones as well. Speed depends on a lot of factors, including NAS hardware processing capabilities, buffering, number of files in a transfer, file size, and fragmentation, random seek vs. sequential seeks, native hard drive speeds, network configuration, and RAID configuration on the NAS end, then there's your network infrastructure layout, the capabilities of each network node in the data path, wiring, adapter configuration, advanced features (link aggregation, jumbo frames, etc.), and then lastly there's your client PC, and its network configuration, OS, hardware limits, etc. In a network, it's the weakest link that sets the transfer rate limits. I used to have a ReadyNAS NV+, and my setup was full Cat6 gigabit network with end-to-end gigabit switches, and one of the clients was a Core2Duo E8400 with a Vertex 4 SSD and onboard Realtek GbE NIC. The volume was a RAID5 over 3x2TB WD Green Drives (wdidle modified). The NV+ would basically max out at about 35MB/s reads and 25MB/s writes, which wasn't bad for such an old platform. The newer ReadyNAS v2 and ReadyNAS Ultra products should fare a bit better. Over time, though, transfer rates dropped to a low of about 3-6MB/s reads, but even with a defragmentation it didn't fix it. I wasn't sure what was wrong, but after some troubleshooting I decided to switch at that point.

li Arc
Matrixvibe wrote:I dunno for this deal. Last time I hoarded coffee I didn't sleep for a week.
Member
Mar 9, 2003
210 posts
5 upvotes
Looks like the the smaller QNAP TS-x69L's have gone on sale today. These are the newer QNAP atom based servers that have an HDMI output and have support for XBMC/Chrome/Youtube via QNAP's HD Station..

TS-269L
NCIX $409.99: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76177&promoid=1021
Newegg.ca $389.99 (after $100 off promo code on page): http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822107100

TS-469L
NCIX $549.99: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76176&promoid=1021
Newegg.ca $559.99: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822107109
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2010
1895 posts
319 upvotes
Ottawa
Wow that is pretty steep for a 2 bay NAS compared to the Synology S212j I just bought. It better be "high performance" for that price...

Ryo wrote: Looks like the the smaller QNAP TS-x69L's have gone on sale today. These are the newer QNAP atom based servers that have an HDMI output and have support for XBMC/Chrome/Youtube via QNAP's HD Station..

TS-269L
NCIX $409.99: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76177&promoid=1021
Newegg.ca $389.99 (after $100 off promo code on page): http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822107100

TS-469L
NCIX $549.99: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=76176&promoid=1021
Newegg.ca $559.99: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822107109
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Member
Mar 9, 2003
210 posts
5 upvotes
Lumber-jack wrote: Wow that is pretty steep for a 2 bay NAS compared to the Synology S212j I just bought. It better be "high performance" for that price...
It is...x86 platform with more power and ram. I guess it is "high performance" for home users. Dual core Atom with up to 3gb ram can let you run many services and serve several users at the same time with little to no performance hit.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2003
1115 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
I'm interested in picking up a prosumer 2 bay NAS, but I'm wondering if I should wait till the new 2013 models are released. Do they even do a 1-year product cycle? I'm just noticing that ARM CPU's that the level of NAS I'm interested in has made a few big strides over the last year or so.
Member
Mar 9, 2003
210 posts
5 upvotes
Are there advanced features are you looking to get out of a NAS?

On the ARM side...
Netgear just revamped the Readynas line, effectively putting all older models under EOL. The Readynas 102 seems to have just hit stores in the last week. Prices seem to range from $180 to $210 diskeless. It has an Armada 370 cpu (most others us 300/310) and 512 mb ram. Downside is that there is little information or reviews on the new System/OS.

Synology's DS213j was seen at last month at a trade show, appears to have the same CPU and ram spec as the Netgear. No release date yet.

QNAP seems to have soft launched the TS-220 and TS-221 this month with a newer OS version. ARM (Mavell 310?) based with 512Mb or 1Gb ram.

Choose your flavor?

It is worth noting that several manufacturers are coming out with models based on the Intel CE 5300 chip. Prices should be between ARM and current Atom based NAS models. http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Atom-C ... 21367.html
Faeton wrote: I'm interested in picking up a prosumer 2 bay NAS, but I'm wondering if I should wait till the new 2013 models are released. Do they even do a 1-year product cycle? I'm just noticing that ARM CPU's that the level of NAS I'm interested in has made a few big strides over the last year or so.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2008
1000 posts
88 upvotes
I've been wanting to upgrade my dns-323 for years now, but can't seem to find a cost effective solution that will transcode on-the-fly...
300 outgoing - Unlimited incoming - 6PM evenings - VP - 6GB - 1,000 LD = 42.50 + GRRF + tx
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2003
1115 posts
307 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks! I guess I'll wait till the Synology DS213j reviews come out
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 24, 2006
1137 posts
598 upvotes
GTA
I'm new to NAS' and am having some difficulty finding a clear answer, I hope someone can clarify for me. I'm looking for a 2-bay NAS to store my media that I can stream to our iMac, MacBook, Apple TV 2, Boxee Box, iphones and tablets. I'm interested in the D-Link products but am hearing they may not be compatible with Mac OSX. Is this the case? If so, what should I go for? The Synology DS212j has good reviews but is a bit on high end of what i want to spend. Any help is appreciated.
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 24, 2005
1415 posts
134 upvotes
ndiniwachojeff wrote: I'm new to NAS' and am having some difficulty finding a clear answer, I hope someone can clarify for me. I'm looking for a 2-bay NAS to store my media that I can stream to our iMac, MacBook, Apple TV 2, Boxee Box, iphones and tablets. I'm interested in the D-Link products but am hearing they may not be compatible with Mac OSX. Is this the case? If so, what should I go for? The Synology DS212j has good reviews but is a bit on high end of what i want to spend. Any help is appreciated.
No problem at all using the D-Link or almost any NAS with your Mac, I am able to use on both my Mac & PC
How to Configure DNS 323 With a Mac
Read more: How to Configure DNS 323 With a Mac | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7379028_configu ... z2RKrB3AQo

Top

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

xFRUGALITYx, sasklake