Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2020 9:22 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2005
7918 posts
531 upvotes
Brampton
tpirovol wrote: Hi Everyone,

Did anyone end up getting the Shuttle Omninas KD20?? If so how is it and how does it compare to the DNS-323 and others? Are there any other ones under $100 that would be better?

I am looking for one and any help would be appreciated.
Thanks T
Based in lots of reading it seems the netgear readynas duo v2 seems like the best for the $100 range. Currently at ncix for $109.99. I'm tempted to try it
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
1140 posts
598 upvotes
GTA
I'm a cord cutter with a large library, so I want a NAS to use as a media server for my movies, tv shows and photos. Synology just announced the 214play which geared for this purpose.

http://www.synology.com/products/produc ... ay&lang=us
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... soho-nases

For real life use, is this that much more superior to using a 213j to justify the price?
"Just because something is on sale doesn't mean a) you can afford it, b) you should buy it, c) you need it, d) you're not spending far more buying it than not buying it at all"
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1901 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
It looks the exact same as the 213+ I just bought but has a slightly faster CPU frequency and 1 Gb or system memory. I guess I am okay with this for a while...

ndiniwachojeff wrote: I'm a cord cutter with a large library, so I want a NAS to use as a media server for my movies, tv shows and photos. Synology just announced the 214play which geared for this purpose.

http://www.synology.com/products/produc ... ay&lang=us
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas- ... soho-nases

For real life use, is this that much more superior to using a 213j to justify the price?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8405 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
Lumber-jack wrote: It looks the exact same as the 213+ I just bought but has a slightly faster CPU frequency and 1 Gb or system memory. I guess I am okay with this for a while...
how are the real world speeds on it? I have to dump my existing setup soon and have been mulling over options.
Mar 4, 2010
255 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
shopper-X wrote: Any good deals on a Synology or QNAP? I think it's time to repurpose the DNS-320 to a Network Backup and get a better NAS.
All I can find is NCIX w/DS212J for $199.99.
I'm in the market for the 213J. It was on sale at Canada Computers last week for $218. A savings of.... $4!!!! :cheesygri

Yeah, I'm waiting for a better price...
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
4675 posts
805 upvotes
SK
ahsun wrote: I'm in the market for the 213J. It was on sale at Canada Computers last week for $218. A savings of.... $4!!!! :cheesygri

Will the 213J run Plex well?
shopper-X
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8405 posts
594 upvotes
Toronto
i think I'm going after a 413 I see it under 500 so it's really tempting to pull the trigger. I have to think on it since i'd be fine with a 213 or 212 I think.

I was wondering in a raid 5 on synology can you use 3 disks and have a 4th disk outside the raid on this device?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1901 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
Haven't had it long enough and just swapped them out. I do like the fact that the front cover has vents for more cooling, 2 USB 3 ports in back and 1 USB in front, and a SDHC that I probably wont ever use. If you haven't used a Synology honestly you can't go wrong with any of them. Even my technician at the office said he like the one I swapped out for the Lacie that has died twice under warranty.
ahsun wrote: I'm in the market for the 213J. It was on sale at Canada Computers last week for $218. A savings of.... $4!!!! :cheesygri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 1, 2008
349 posts
61 upvotes
I'm looking for the best deal on an 8 bay enclosure. I don't need the raid capability built in as I prefer to use a software based solution in flexraid. I think that will require it each disk to be read individually though. This seems to be the cheapest for what I can find.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 11054640:s

Other suggestions?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1901 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
Software RAID is nowhere as good. Perhaps you don't need an 8 bay RAID and can simply add RAID enclosures to the NAS to get more space.
superskid wrote: I'm looking for the best deal on an 8 bay enclosure. I don't need the raid capability built in as I prefer to use a software based solution in flexraid. I think that will require it each disk to be read individually though. This seems to be the cheapest for what I can find.

Other suggestions?
Sep 8, 2007
223 posts
61 upvotes
Ottawa
superskid wrote: I'm looking for the best deal on an 8 bay enclosure. I don't need the raid capability built in as I prefer to use a software based solution in flexraid. I think that will require it each disk to be read individually though. This seems to be the cheapest for what I can find.

Other suggestions?
Personally I've had nothing but problems with MediaSonic. Their support forum is active and their workers do reply, the problem is they don't help, lol. I'd suggest a Sans Digital 8Bay enclosure (specifically their TR8U+). It's a little bit more ($360 on Amazon now, but price goes down to $320 occasionally), but isn't as horrible...
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1901 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
I like MediaSonic. I emailed them for a screw missing and they sent me some to my door in days. NE.com had a really good deal on the 4 bay about a month or two ago (about $100 off) and I have seen it in the past even cheaper.
SonicSam wrote: Personally I've had nothing but problems with MediaSonic. Their support forum is active and their workers do reply, the problem is they don't help, lol. I'd suggest a Sans Digital 8Bay enclosure (specifically their TR8U+). It's a little bit more ($360 on Amazon now, but price goes down to $320 occasionally), but isn't as horrible...
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
1415 posts
134 upvotes
Lumber-jack wrote: I like MediaSonic. I emailed them for a screw missing and they sent me some to my door in days. NE.com had a really good deal on the 4 bay about a month or two ago (about $100 off) and I have seen it in the past even cheaper.
We also have been using MediaSonic products for many years without issue, we have 10+. I did break a 4 bay door, sent them a note and a replacement door soon arrived. Their 8 bays are fantastic, where else can you get an 8bay for under $300.00
Jul 1, 2008
349 posts
61 upvotes

Other suggestions?
Well I do need an 8 bay enclosure as I currently have 6 2TB drives with 1 drive used as a parity on my software raid.

How come software raid isn't as good? I find flexraid works great and I never worry about drives falling out of the raid etc.. also combining all the drives into one drive letter is great. What raid would you recommend, and does the mediasonic have this raid?

It is just used to store media and stream it to the various players in my house.

Thanks,
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1901 posts
327 upvotes
Ottawa
Software is never as good as hardware for anything. With 6 2Tb drives perhaps it would be better to get some 4Tb (or 5Tb soon) drives instead and use a smaller enclose? That will save you $200 right there and pay for a 4Tb drive. IMO you don't need a 8 bay enclosure. I would recommend RAID 5 as it will maximize your HD while giving you parity. Note 5 is not as good for parity as 1 and you may have errors recovering everything but it is acceptable IMO for non critical files.
superskid wrote: Well I do need an 8 bay enclosure as I currently have 6 2TB drives with 1 drive used as a parity on my software raid.

How come software raid isn't as good? I find flexraid works great and I never worry about drives falling out of the raid etc.. also combining all the drives into one drive letter is great. What raid would you recommend, and does the mediasonic have this raid?

It is just used to store media and stream it to the various players in my house.

Thanks,