Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 27th, 2020 1:58 pm
Mar 4, 2010
255 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
napoleon1769 wrote: Wow just came across this thread and realized that I bought a DNS-323 when it first came out. Still got it brand new in box. Is it worth anything at all now or is it obsolete technology?

I also need a price check on a bnib http://www.trustedreviews.com/HP-MediaV ... ral_review
lol, everybody is upgrading their 323 in this thread, myself included. There are limitation on the 323 which are annoying such as drive size and poor dlna / sketchy support which requires doing some rooting. I'm also disappointed with its refresh time for dlna files.
Jun 5, 2010
421 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
ahsun wrote: Also, not necessarily really hot.. warm prolly, but the QNAP TS212P is also on sale at NCIX for $169.99

It was on sale at this price, January of LAST year as well...

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=91297& ... omoid=1029
How's the overall quality of QNAP vs Synology in general and in this particular model?

Anybody got experience? How hard is it to set up Raid 1?

Now if only there's a good WD Red deal at the moment ...
Mar 4, 2010
255 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
epiczz wrote: How's the overall quality of QNAP vs Synology in general and in this particular model?

Anybody got experience? How hard is it to set up Raid 1?

Now if only there's a good WD Red deal at the moment ...
I bet RAID setup is a breeze. They are made for this afterall. I can't comment on quality, I have no experience with either but am relying upon our fellow RFDers opinion that Synology is good.

It's not WD, but it rates just as good: Seagate NAS HDD ST4000VN000 4TB $159.99 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... 6822178393.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2008
1000 posts
88 upvotes
Has anyone here purchased the 214play, and can you comment on whether it's all it's cracked up to be?
300 outgoing - Unlimited incoming - 6PM evenings - VP - 6GB - 1,000 LD = 42.50 + GRRF + tx
Nov 7, 2008
87 posts
9 upvotes
Burnaby
For my minimal needs I ordered a Shuttle KD20. I'll post again on how it is compared to the oldy but goody DNS-323.
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3821 upvotes
I own a synology and have been very happy except a few kinks, but nothing functionality breaking wise. So yea I would recommend synology. IMHO worth the extra price just for the lack of headache it could provide over the competition (note I only owned 1 NAS, the current synology)
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
2350 posts
41 upvotes
Would anyone be able to help me?

I'm trying to look into some sort of NAS... All I need it for would be storing my media so its accessible over our home network (primarily movies). It would also be interesting to setup my BT/usenet to be able to dl directly.

I see everyone recommending Synology/QNAP/any other fully dedicated NAS as the general consensus but in my situation would a WD MyBook Live be sufficient?

Also, would you be able to explain in laymans terms the benefits of a dedicated NAS vs. a WD MyBook?

Thanks!
May 22, 2013
464 posts
40 upvotes
jwei wrote: Would anyone be able to help me?

I'm trying to look into some sort of NAS... All I need it for would be storing my media so its accessible over our home network (primarily movies). It would also be interesting to setup my BT/usenet to be able to dl directly.

I see everyone recommending Synology/QNAP/any other fully dedicated NAS as the general consensus but in my situation would a WD MyBook Live be sufficient?

Also, would you be able to explain in laymans terms the benefits of a dedicated NAS vs. a WD MyBook?

Thanks!
WD MyBook is an external drive, i.e., no network connection unless you keep your pc on 24/7.
There is WD mybook live which is a network drive. Once you connect mybook live to router, you'll be able to store and access data without needing a computer.
I own Seagate Goflex Home (NAS) and the performance isn't up to the par with actual NAS. Yes, it allows you to store, access, and stream without a hitch, but there are dedicated NAS like synology that have larger processing power thereby allowing more functions and smooth operations. I bet with dedicated NAS you can protect your data as well. Dedicated NAS will allow to automate download from bt and usenet. Canada Computers has WD my book live on sale for $59. It's a good price.
My next purchase will be dedicated NAS, but presently I'm not in dire need it. It's good enough for my current needs.
I'll let expert chime in to give you more thorough answer.

Edit: Dedicated NAS will also allow you to set up plex server.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2007
2350 posts
41 upvotes
bluehawk91 wrote: WD MyBook is an external drive, i.e., no network connection unless you keep your pc on 24/7.
There is WD mybook live which is a network drive. Once you connect mybook live to router, you'll be able to store and access data without needing a computer.
I own Seagate Goflex Home (NAS) and the performance isn't up to the par with actual NAS. Yes, it allows you to store, access, and stream without a hitch, but there are dedicated NAS like synology that have larger processing power thereby allowing more functions and smooth operations. I bet with dedicated NAS you can protect your data as well. Dedicated NAS will allow to automate download from bt and usenet. Canada Computers has WD my book live on sale for $59. It's a good price.
My next purchase will be dedicated NAS, but presently I'm not in dire need it. It's good enough for my current needs.
I'll let expert chime in to give you more thorough answer.

Edit: Dedicated NAS will also allow you to set up plex server.
thanks
Aug 30, 2005
303 posts
347 upvotes
I finally pulled the trigger on the QNAP TS-469L on special for 549$ at Canada Computers (ends Dec 1st). I upgraded it with a 2GB G.SKILL memory stick for 21.99$.
So far i'm happy, the user interface is great. I did get the 4 Seagate 4TB NAS drives (175$ at CC) with it, but i cannot really comment on performance and reliability.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8396 posts
584 upvotes
Toronto
frank2162 wrote: I finally pulled the trigger on the QNAP TS-469L on special for 549$ at Canada Computers (ends Dec 1st). I upgraded it with a 2GB G.SKILL memory stick for 21.99$.
So far i'm happy, the user interface is great. I did get the 4 Seagate 4TB NAS drives (175$ at CC) with it, but i cannot really comment on performance and reliability.
wow that price is just insane...any idea why it's so heavily discounted?
Aug 30, 2005
303 posts
347 upvotes
belowzeros wrote: wow that price is just insane...any idea why it's so heavily discounted?
When i looked back at past posts, I noticed people bought it at this price last April and last August. But i haven't seen it posted cheaper yet. I was finally ready so I jumped.
The DIY memory upgrade is nice. You're supposed to buy it from QNAP but with the price difference I thought I should take a chance and try a cheaper off the shelf ram stick with similar specs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9699 posts
2232 upvotes
Winnipeg
ahsun wrote: lol, everybody is upgrading their 323 in this thread, myself included. There are limitation on the 323 which are annoying such as drive size and poor dlna / sketchy support which requires doing some rooting. I'm also disappointed with its refresh time for dlna files.
Just google alt-f firmware bring some life back to the 323, like 4tb support upto what ever drives come out, latest ext 4 format any media server available in their respository like mediatomb twonky squeeze box plus rsync etc you flash it to alt-f right over existing firmware or run it off drive like funplug. Enables usb drive support too. Web based interface. The works. You don't need dlink support anymore.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

JerryTs