Ongoing Deal Discussion

NAS Superthread (current deals on NAS devices)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 11:19 pm
Aug 30, 2005
303 posts
347 upvotes
scattershot wrote: I think in the long run I'm going to get a Dual-Core Atom (or similar) unit so I can fully unlock the potential of Plex with all devices.
For now the DS213 is a little too high above the $275 price but I'll keep an eye out for boxing day.

Worst case am I mistaken in things that the DS213J will work with my Xbox One and Xbox 360 with most files? (I know it's too slow to transcode, but I was under the impression that the Xbox One / 360 could handle a decent variety of formats).

Thanks for the help.
It's not clear in your post, but the DS213 is Arm-based, not Atom. Here's a nice reference in case you wish to differentiate between Synology models since they're not very straightforward about exact cpu models on their website.
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... y_NAS_have
To get an Atom you need to go up to a Synology DS712+ or DS713+

I bought a QNAP recently and even upgraded it with cheap ram. I have to say the new QNAP interface looks very good, they are closing the gap in this regard.
Since Atom-based NAS boxes are indeed more expensive, you can always put the QNAP TS-269L on your shopping list for comparison.
Apr 18, 2006
154 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
frank2162 wrote: It's not clear in your post, but the DS213 is Arm-based, not Atom. Here's a nice reference in case you wish to differentiate between Synology models since they're not very straightforward about exact cpu models on their website.
http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.ph ... y_NAS_have
To get an Atom you need to go up to a Synology DS712+ or DS713+

I bought a QNAP recently and even upgraded it with cheap ram. I have to say the new QNAP interface looks very good, they are closing the gap in this regard.
Since Atom-based NAS boxes are indeed more expensive, you can always put the QNAP TS-269L on your shopping list for comparison.
Thanks for the link and Q-Nap suggestion.

I think in the long-run I will get a more elaborate dual-core atom / arm solution that can transcode 1080p to mobile devices.

In the short-term $275 (on sale) is the top-end of what I can spend before taxes so I'll be limited to anything that is at that price or will go on sale at that price on boxing day.
So basically, I can afford a DS213J now, but perhaps on boxing day the DS213 may get cheap enough.

The QNAP TS-269L is something I would consider maybe next year when I would have better finances to go with something better.

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2002
9767 posts
2274 upvotes
Winnipeg
ahsun wrote: ARRR!!! So I flashed the 323 with alt-f and have it installed and working.. trying to get dlna working with minidlna is a PITA! I'm generally a power-user when it comes to computers (grew up using DOS, have done programming in Basic to C++) but have very little experience with Unix. I'm having so much probs just trying to get minidlna to install, first it was couldn't find C compilier... fixed that... now it's got some other issues - likely stupid linux permission issues. So frustrating. Online forums / help isn't very good either, the forumers talk in true CS geek mode so it's difficult to understand if you're not a Linux user.

I'm gonna have to spend some time trying to get Mediatomb working on it instead. At least it's an "easily" installable package option from the alt-f GUI.

Man, I would NOT recommend alt-f to anybody who is a novice computer user.
. I tried minidlna never liked it that was maybe 2 years ago, what about the old twonky version from ffp? is their package for it or would you have to add separate repository.
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1319 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if the DNS-323 can support newsgroup clients such as SABnzbd+? I'm looking to rely less on my laptop to dl and more on my DNS-323 which I've already installed ffp on. Anyone know if there's an easy guide to set that up on the DNS-323?
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
1844 posts
314 upvotes
Mississauga
AnubisReturns wrote: I'm shopping for my first NAS and came across what appears to be a QNAP TS-220 for $120 at TigerDirect on boxing day.
http://www.redflagdeals.com/flyers/tige ... ge=3#flyer
Would this be a good unit to start with, using only most likely in JBOD streaming videos around the house, and some manual backup?
I'd be interested in this as well but can't find it on the site. Is it available today?
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3525 posts
1643 upvotes
AnubisReturns wrote: I'm shopping for my first NAS and came across what appears to be a QNAP TS-220 for $120 at TigerDirect on boxing day.
http://www.redflagdeals.com/flyers/tige ... ge=3#flyer
Would this be a good unit to start with, using only most likely in JBOD streaming videos around the house, and some manual backup?
guessguy wrote: I'd be interested in this as well but can't find it on the site. Is it available today?
I tend to think that most NAS beginners will soon end up regretting having bought a 2-bay NAS. Despite how limited your current requirements may be, I think you'd regret not having acquired at least a 4-bay from the start.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2004
1479 posts
34 upvotes
GTA
The Toshiba HDKPC08 3 TB is $99.99 at NCIX. Is this is sufficient choice for a basic NAS setup or should I keep waiting for a WD Red to go on sale?
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2010
1895 posts
319 upvotes
Ottawa
When I bought my NAS I was torn if I should get something larger than 2 bay but don't need something larger for my everyday use and just add RAID enclosures to it for my additional requirements. I honestly like not having 4-5 bays going for the main HDD area right now. Perhaps if my immediate storage requirements increased I would want/need more.
txenglan wrote: I tend to think that most NAS beginners will soon end up regretting having bought a 2-bay NAS. Despite how limited your current requirements may be, I think you'd regret not having acquired at least a 4-bay from the start.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to feel smart - get stupid freinds...
Aug 30, 2006
409 posts
171 upvotes
guessguy wrote: I'd be interested in this as well but can't find it on the site. Is it available today?
Ya it's not on their site and flyer say retail only, I'll swing by TD on boxing day to see if it's there.
txenglan wrote:I tend to think that most NAS beginners will soon end up regretting having bought a 2-bay NAS. Despite how limited your current requirements may be, I think you'd regret not having acquired at least a 4-bay from the start.
They're out of my budget right now on top of the price for the hdds. A 2bay with 8tb and some usb3 and sata ports are more than double of what I require at the moment. When I need a 4bay i think it would be easy to pawn it off to a family member or friend.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2003
3525 posts
1643 upvotes
AnubisReturns wrote: Ya it's not on their site and flyer say retail only, I'll swing by TD on boxing day to see if it's there.

They're out of my budget right now on top of the price for the hdds. A 2bay with 8tb and some usb3 and sata ports are more than double of what I require at the moment. When I need a 4bay i think it would be easy to pawn it off to a family member or friend.
Again, if a 2-bay NAS would be sufficient, I'd think an external HD enclosure or two would also work just as well (depending on what you are trying to do)
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2007
1319 posts
174 upvotes
Toronto
jumperson22 wrote: Anyone know if the DNS-323 can support newsgroup clients such as SABnzbd+? I'm looking to rely less on my laptop to dl and more on my DNS-323 which I've already installed ffp on. Anyone know if there's an easy guide to set that up on the DNS-323?
Anyone know?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

twistededge, Political Machine