Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
National Bank

$300 Cashback with eligible chequing account (Offers stack with Mastercard FYF and Professional Package)

Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13895 upvotes
Markham
Omesuri wrote: How long are people waiting to hear back from online applications for NBC accounts? I assume it's much faster within QC?
just do it inside a branch, i was told everything can be completed in just one visit. Terrible thing is their hours, 10 am - 2 pm daily...digusting.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2009
1110 posts
1048 upvotes
Toronto
chickeni wrote: I would like to know this too...
Needs to be salary or payroll (these deposits are specially coded as such), so an EFT won't work.
Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13895 upvotes
Markham
dankup wrote: Any way to do a direct deposit other than payroll? Would linking my Tangerine and setting up an automatic deposit into National Bank count?
banks have gotten smarter. This is NOT going to fly anymore.
Jan 8, 2009
895 posts
1301 upvotes
angel_wing0 wrote: just do it inside a branch, i was told everything can be completed in just one visit. Terrible thing is their hours, 10 am - 2 pm daily...digusting.
Closing the account will also require a branch visit. Good luck!
Dec 31, 2011
430 posts
508 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
TD and CIBC let me close online, Scotia makes you come in person
Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13895 upvotes
Markham
So applied for the WE MC, called, waited for 1.5 hours just to be informed that I need to do ID verification in branch. Did that, and now waiting. Dont want to call in again seriously orzzzzzzzzz But guess I have no choice if I have to make it by the 15th :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Jul 15, 2003
405 posts
32 upvotes
TheSheldor wrote: You get free banking on up to 3 accounts, free world elite, and preferential financing rates if you have over $250k in your NBDB
Where did you get that information? Any info online? Usually with NBC deals you still have to pay for the Mastercard to get the free account. Where to ask about this plan?
Mar 3, 2015
622 posts
1097 upvotes
King City
Barutsu wrote: Where did you get that information? Any info online? Usually with NBC deals you still have to pay for the Mastercard to get the free account. Where to ask about this plan?
This information came from the branch and I actually can't seem to find it on the website.

However, they have a professional package for doctors and wealth management where the world elite is free and you get personal LOC for P+0%. Apparently the wealth management package was previously only NBWM, NBF, or Private Banking but now they've expanded to include NBDb
Mar 3, 2015
622 posts
1097 upvotes
King City
angel_wing0 wrote: So applied for the WE MC, called, waited for 1.5 hours just to be informed that I need to do ID verification in branch. Did that, and now waiting. Dont want to call in again seriously orzzzzzzzzz But guess I have no choice if I have to make it by the 15th :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
Ah damn that really sucks. Calling MasterCard always takes forever. Have you tried calling the local branch and seeing if they can check the status of the card? Might be faster 🤷‍♂️
Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13895 upvotes
Markham
TheSheldor wrote: Ah damn that really sucks. Calling MasterCard always takes forever. Have you tried calling the local branch and seeing if they can check the status of the card? Might be faster 🤷‍♂️
Oh, the branch actually told me to call NBC MC so...

Anyhow called them today. *ONLY* a 20 minute wait, was told that they have all the info needed and I should get an answer in 3-5 business days. This guys...
Mar 3, 2015
622 posts
1097 upvotes
King City
angel_wing0 wrote: Oh, the branch actually told me to call NBC MC so...

Anyhow called them today. *ONLY* a 20 minute wait, was told that they have all the info needed and I should get an answer in 3-5 business days. This guys...
Fingers crossed for you! Good luck
Feb 2, 2012
48 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
Compared to the other big bank offers this one is the worst for me so far:
- Applied online, was told to call in (5 Min)
- Called in, told to schedule a phone appointment with a local person due to wanting the professional offer (5 Min)
- Attended phone appointment, told to come into the branch (hours are not great as mentioned earlier) (30 Min)
- Drove to branch, waited 10 minutes in lobby, setup account, applied for Mastercard. (70 Min)
- Mastercard application denied (first time for me, do you always remember your first?)
- I have a decent credit score and meet income requirements etc. and they wouldn't tell me why I was denied for the card.

National Bank is well behind the other financial institutions. Something that should have taken 5-10 minutes has taken nearly the length of a long feature film.
Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13895 upvotes
Markham
angel_wing0 wrote: So applied for the WE MC, called, waited for 1.5 hours just to be informed that I need to do ID verification in branch. Did that, and now waiting. Dont want to call in again seriously orzzzzzzzzz But guess I have no choice if I have to make it by the 15th :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
am still waiting for an update from NBC, man they sure are slow!
CommonCentz wrote: - Mastercard application denied (first time for me, do you always remember your first?)
- I have a decent credit score and meet income requirements etc. and they wouldn't tell me why I was denied for the card.
How long did you wait for a reply?

It's normal for all card issuers, they will never tell you why you are denied and tell you to check your credit report bullshit like the answer is stated there. So cant blame NBC on that one.
Feb 2, 2012
48 posts
19 upvotes
Calgary
angel_wing0 wrote: am still waiting for an update from NBC, man they sure are slow!

How long did you wait for a reply?

It's normal for all card issuers, they will never tell you why you are denied and tell you to check your credit report bullshit like the answer is stated there. So cant blame NBC on that one.
I think I only waited 2 days for the rejection. I can imagine your application was flagged by something in their algorithm and they can't figure out what it was because they don't know how it works.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1446 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB
TheSheldor wrote: National Bank is offering $300 Cashback offer on an eligible chequing account

Conditions are on the website but long story short, open an eligiblechequing account (Offers for Professionals, Offers for Students, Offer for Newcomers, The Connected® banking package, The Total® banking package) and complete two of the following three withing 60 days to get $300:
  • Carry out one bill payment of $50 or more via National Bank online.
  • Set up a recurring automated direct deposit (salary or monthly pension).
  • Set up a recurring pre-authorized payment on your National Bank mortgage from a National Bank account.
The offer doesn't seem too bad. The conditions are fairly easy to fulfill (especially if you already have a mortgage with them). The Connected has the monthly fee waived with $4500 balance and The Total has a $6000 minimum balance for a fee waiver.

The best part of this deal though is it stacks with their professional package which gets you up to 3 chequing accounts free of charge plus a Personal Line of Credit at a rate of 2.45% - 3.2% (depending on your occupation). They currently have an offer for FYF on the credit card plus a 15,000 points WUS $3500 in 3 months.

So basically, the best deal is if you are a professional (Engineer, Accountant, Doctor, Healthcare Worker, Teacher, Business Grad, etc). You can get 1 year of the Professional Package for free as the only costs for the Professional Package is the annual fee of the credit card. Plus you can get the $300 cashback for the chequing account and the 15,000 points (about $125) when you meet the various requirements.

Even after the promo, a Professional Package with the World Elite credit card seems like a very good deal. At $150 annual fee, you're effectively paying $12.50/month for up to 3 unlimited chequing accounts (with free cheques and drafts), a Line of Credit at a very competitive rate, and preferential financing rates on mortgages and HELOCs. Plus, the World Elite gives the $250 annual rebate on travel so it basically pays for itself if you fly at least once a year.

EDIT: I noticed GCR is offering $50 Cashback on World, World Elite, or Platinum sign ups. I believe this offer stacks with the FYF + 15,000 points offer although I haven't tested so I can't confirm

I qualify as a professional based on the roles listed on national banks website.

However, in order for me to have the monthly account fees waived on the chequing account, I need to apply for and be approved for 1 of the credit cards listed ?

In other words, even if I am considered a professional based on my role and national banks definition, I would *not* get the monthly fees waived on the chequing account if I don't get 1 of their credit cards?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2015
1446 posts
729 upvotes
Calgary, AB
angel_wing0 wrote: Still waiting, NBC is just, fail.
Is the credit card still worth it? I know it is FYF but as you previously mentioned, redeeming rewards is very restrictive on things like airport parking etc. The way I am reading it is it would essentially be a hard credit hit in return for some of the benefits they offer for professionals like waiving the monthly "connected" account fees. I don't see myself getting to use the $250 travel credit based on how restrictive it is on what we can redeem for and you have to spend $3k to get the additional points. Am I missing something with their CC?
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2008
1954 posts
1477 upvotes
TheSheldor wrote:
So basically, the best deal is if you are a professional (Engineer, Accountant, Doctor, Healthcare Worker, Teacher, Business Grad, etc). You can get 1 year of the Professional Package for free as the only costs for the Professional Package is the annual fee of the credit card. Plus you can get the $300 cashback for the chequing account and the 15,000 points (about $125) when you meet the various requirements.
The credit card is FYF though so for the first year, the professional package would be completely free (and not require minimum 4500 or 6000 left sitting in the chequing account) ?
Mar 23, 2004
47726 posts
13895 upvotes
Markham
RigorMortis wrote:
Is the credit card still worth it? I know it is FYF but as you previously mentioned, redeeming rewards is very restrictive on things like airport parking etc. The way I am reading it is it would essentially be a hard credit hit in return for some of the benefits they offer for professionals like waiving the monthly "connected" account fees. I don't see myself getting to use the $250 travel credit based on how restrictive it is on what we can redeem for and you have to spend $3k to get the additional points. Am I missing something with their CC?
adilh53 wrote: The credit card is FYF though so for the first year, the professional package would be completely free (and not require minimum 4500 or 6000 left sitting in the chequing account) ?
Exactly, I am just getting the card for the free professional package and LOC. Have no intention of spending more than a cent on the CC.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)