Expired Hot Deals

National Bank credit card ($300 in points, $250 in travel credit, and FYF)

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 10th, 2017 12:03 am
Tags:
None
132 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21989 posts
2806 upvotes
®MasterCard is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Inc. Authorized user: National Bank of Canada 1. Subject to credit approval by National Bank of Canada. These offers are open to anyone who does not currently have a National Bank MasterCard credit card. They may not be combined with any other offer or promotion from National Bank. To take advantage of these offers, you must sign up for the National Bank World Elite® MasterCard® credit card before October 31, 2015, and activate it no later than November 30, 2015. 30,000 points offer: A maximum of 30,000 points will be awarded per World Elite® credit card account. The 30,000 points will be awarded as follows: 20,000 points will be awarded on activation of the card and the remaining 10,000 points will be awarded one year after the card is issued on the account anniversary date. The account must be in good standing when the points are to be awarded. Annual fee offer: One year after the card is issued, on the account anniversary date, the regular annual fees in effect for the main card and any additional cards (up to 3 maximum) will be automatically charged to the account. Reimbursements up to $250: Subject to presenting the required supporting documents. Rebate limits of $100 for airport parking, $50 for seat selection and $100 for airline baggage fees per account and per year. 2. Regular annual fees: $150 for the main card and $50 for each additional card. Grace period: No interest will be charged on purchases made during the month if the balance is paid in full within twenty-one (21) days of the date of the statement. This grace period does not apply to cash advances or balance transfers. The minimum payment to be made to the Bank every period will be equal to 3% of the account balance plus any overdue amount or $10, whichever is higher (or the account balance if it is lower than $10). If amounts are charged to your account in breach of the credit card agreement, the minimum payment due will be 3% of the account balance or the amount charged to the account in breach of this agreement, whichever is higher. Account statement: A statement is sent monthly. Example of credit charges calculated over a period of thirty (30) days:

Annual interest rate Average balance
$500 $3,000
21.99% (regular rate for balance transfers and cash advances) $9.04 $54.22
19.99% (regular rate for purchases) $8.22 $49.29
Annual interest rate in effect on January 1, 2015.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 13, 2008
3405 posts
4313 upvotes
Oakville
So really you get 20,000 points plus reimbursement for any airport parking, baggage fees, and seat selection that occurs within the 1 year you keep this card. Because if you go past the 1 year you will be hit with a $150 charge per year for having the card.

I like the airport parking reimbursement part!
-ZdpZ... ;)
Sr. Member
May 5, 2007
921 posts
267 upvotes
North York
Can points be transferred to Aeroplan ?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21989 posts
2806 upvotes
This may be the best card now the Aspire with anniversary bonus is gone. For those with the Aspire with anniversary bonus, this too may not be a bad substitution as the annual cost can be as low as -$100:

Sign Up Bonus
-Old Aspire: $350 = $350 in travel (at 2%)
-New Aspire: $100 travel (at 2%) + $250 cash back = $350
-NB: 20k points in Y1 + 10k points in Y2, redeemable for $300 in travel = $300

Annual Fee vs. Bonus
-Old Aspire: $120 fee less $100 (at 2%) bonus = $20 net/year
-New Aspire: $120 fee = $120/year
-NB: $150 less $100 airport parking less $50 seat selection less $100 luggage = -$100 net/year (Only FYF, so you "earn" $200 in points and $250 in saved fees, but have to pay $150 in Year 2 to earn the $100 in points and save $250, meaning you net to -$650 by Year 2)

Travel Rewards
-Old and New Aspire: 2% back on travel, subject to thresholds
-NB: Tiered-
$0-$40k = 1.5 pts/$
$40k-80k = 2 pts/$
$80k+ = 1.5 pts/$
(0.5 pts/$ bonus on forex, but there's the 2.5% fee)
-Assuming you spend in the 0k-40k bracket and redeem at 50k points for $500, the return is 1.5% on travel; the extra 0.5% for forex does not make sense as you are paying 2.5%

Other Insurance
-Both programs are similar
Sr. Member
Feb 27, 2009
947 posts
975 upvotes
It is worth it to use for seat, parking and luggage if you are gong on a trip in the next few months,

After that you can cancel
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jul 3, 2008
527 posts
361 upvotes
Ontario
TL;DR Churn - If you plan to churn, you need $1350 spend (including travel) to redeem the $200 travel credit before you cancel to avoid annual fee
TL;DR Keeping the card - If you spend under $40k and redeem less than 50k points (50k spend), effective cashback value is ~ 1.36%

I left a more detailed post in PF forums (link)
The value of this card lies in whether you make use of the annual rebates.
However, based on the low cashback/rewards value, IMO other rewards cards should be considered.
I'll pass on this card/offer
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10187 posts
3508 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: ®MasterCard is a registered trademark of MasterCard International Inc. Authorized user: National Bank of Canada 1. Subject to credit approval by National Bank of Canada. These offers are open to anyone who does not currently have a National Bank MasterCard credit card. They may not be combined with any other offer or promotion from National Bank. To take advantage of these offers, you must sign up for the National Bank World Elite® MasterCard® credit card before October 31, 2015, and activate it no later than November 30, 2015. 30,000 points offer: A maximum of 30,000 points will be awarded per World Elite® credit card account. The 30,000 points will be awarded as follows: 20,000 points will be awarded on activation of the card and the remaining 10,000 points will be awarded one year after the card is issued on the account anniversary date. The account must be in good standing when the points are to be awarded. Annual fee offer: One year after the card is issued, on the account anniversary date, the regular annual fees in effect for the main card and any additional cards (up to 3 maximum) will be automatically charged to the account. Reimbursements up to $250: Subject to presenting the required supporting documents. Rebate limits of $100 for airport parking, $50 for seat selection and $100 for airline baggage fees per account and per year. 2. Regular annual fees: $150 for the main card and $50 for each additional card. Grace period: No interest will be charged on purchases made during the month if the balance is paid in full within twenty-one (21) days of the date of the statement. This grace period does not apply to cash advances or balance transfers. The minimum payment to be made to the Bank every period will be equal to 3% of the account balance plus any overdue amount or $10, whichever is higher (or the account balance if it is lower than $10). If amounts are charged to your account in breach of the credit card agreement, the minimum payment due will be 3% of the account balance or the amount charged to the account in breach of this agreement, whichever is higher. Account statement: A statement is sent monthly. Example of credit charges calculated over a period of thirty (30) days:

Annual interest rate Average balance
$500 $3,000
21.99% (regular rate for balance transfers and cash advances) $9.04 $54.22
19.99% (regular rate for purchases) $8.22 $49.29
Annual interest rate in effect on January 1, 2015.
The purpose of this post is?
Member
Mar 14, 2009
425 posts
586 upvotes
Halifax
Anyone know how point redemption works on this card? Not many details on the webpage.

Do you charge any travel and get a statement credit? Or do you have to book through some poor value travel portal like with the BMO card?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 12, 2014
1393 posts
1321 upvotes
Montreal
dillybravo wrote: Anyone know how point redemption works on this card? Not many details on the webpage.

Do you charge any travel and get a statement credit? Or do you have to book through some poor value travel portal like with the BMO card?
Same question here, and wondering why they say "up to" xxx$...
What about the bags and seat selection fees ? Can it be applied on every airline ? Like to pay my bags fee on UA with an Aeroplan booking ?
Sr. Member
Sep 8, 2006
792 posts
281 upvotes
Richmond
dillybravo wrote: Anyone know how point redemption works on this card? Not many details on the webpage.

Do you charge any travel and get a statement credit? Or do you have to book through some poor value travel portal like with the BMO card?
ok took some digging but got to the bottom of how to redeem the points.



essentially, the 20k points are worth $180 from the start. You'll need to spend $1334 (earning 2k points based on 1.5/$) on the card to redeem the full 20k (or 22k to redeem for 2x$100 travel discounts, as first tier of redemption requires 11k). the discount is applied against any travel charge put on the card by any agency/travel company. you could also use the same 11k points towards a $100 RRSP or TFSA contribution.

doesn't look like it requires the purchase to actually fall into the said category (re: capital one travel) however, I don't see how they are calculating $300 on 20k or $450 on 30k...

Apply your travel discount as you wish: to a flight, a car rental, a package, a hotel stay, a cruise… You can even take advantage of last-minute deals!
Choose your travel agency or reserve with the airline of your choice, even those online.
11,000 points 50,000 points 70,000 points 100,000 points
$100 discount $500 discount $700 discount $1,000 discount
When you exchange more than 50,000 points in the same transaction, each additional block of 10,000 points entitles you to $100 travel discount.


https://recompensesbnc.ca/NbcTravelDisc ... Code=40339
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21989 posts
2806 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: The purpose of this post is?
Exactly what it looks like, record the terms and conditions of the offer.
Sr. Member
Sep 8, 2006
792 posts
281 upvotes
Richmond
Kasakato wrote: Exactly what it looks like, record the terms and conditions of the offer.
OP hasn't completed the required details. it supposed to give the who what when where why of the deal for easy reference. All that's posted is a link.
Member
Mar 14, 2009
425 posts
586 upvotes
Halifax
Found some details. FAQ is at: https://recompensesbnc.ca/StaticContent ... owFooter=1

Looks like you can only redeem in certain increments. 11,000 points = $100. Next is 50,000 = $500, and each 10K above 50K is another $100. So if you only do the first year, 20K points you will have to do some spending to get 22K points to get your $200 credit. Otherwise only $100.

You must "purchase your trip at a travel agency, online travel agency, airline or the À la carte Rewards Travel Agency." So I guess no direct payment to hotels, etc.? Hard to say.

Full regulations here: https://recompensesbnc.ca/StaticContent ... owFooter=1, particularly section 6.

More general info on the rewards portal here: https://recompensesbnc.ca/NbcTravelDiscount.aspx
Member
User avatar
Jul 15, 2005
215 posts
119 upvotes
Scarborough
ben85deals wrote: Same question here, and wondering why they say "up to" xxx$...
What about the bags and seat selection fees ? Can it be applied on every airline ? Like to pay my bags fee on UA with an Aeroplan booking ?
I have this card and it's great. It includes comprehensive travel insurance if you use the card for the trip which saves a lot of money too. Point redemption is easy, they apply the credit towards your bill (all done online without any hassles). As for the baggage/airport parking/seat selection, I believe you have to fill out a form found on their website and mail it in - I haven't done this yet.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10187 posts
3508 upvotes
dillybravo wrote: Anyone know how point redemption works on this card? Not many details on the webpage.

Do you charge any travel and get a statement credit? Or do you have to book through some poor value travel portal like with the BMO card?
They mail you forms. You submit them along with a credit card statement or invoice charged to your National Bank Card. They mail you a cheque.

Flying to San Fran/LA today so will be using these benefits for the first time.
Member
Jun 22, 2003
426 posts
35 upvotes
I have the platinum version of this card and it looks like the redemption for travel is a little different.

Platinum
11k points = $100
20k points = $200
each additional 10k points = $100

World Elite
11k points =$100
50k points = $500
each additional $10k points = $100

Redeeming points is super easy. Go to your online account and select how many points you want to redeem and select the travel charge on your statement you want to apply it to. You have 60 days from the date of the travel charge to redeem your points.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
10187 posts
3508 upvotes
dillybravo wrote: Found some details. FAQ is at: https://recompensesbnc.ca/StaticContent ... owFooter=1

Looks like you can only redeem in certain increments. 11,000 points = $100. Next is 50,000 = $500, and each 10K above 50K is another $100. So if you only do the first year, 20K points you will have to do some spending to get 22K points to get your $200 credit. Otherwise only $100.

You must "purchase your trip at a travel agency, online travel agency, airline or the À la carte Rewards Travel Agency." So I guess no direct payment to hotels, etc.? Hard to say.

Full regulations here: https://recompensesbnc.ca/StaticContent ... owFooter=1, particularly section 6.

More general info on the rewards portal here: https://recompensesbnc.ca/NbcTravelDiscount.aspx
I have redeemed 33000 points for $300 off last month.
It also has great travel coverage. My wife fractured her foot on a road trip to Chicago last year. The only way I found out the hospital invoice was $3000+ was when I phoned NBC out of curiosity. They dealt with everything.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 12, 2011
2864 posts
1227 upvotes
Markham
First of all, title is misleading, there are no $450 in points, there are $300 in points and $150 annual fee waived

Second of all, spend $40000 or under it's 1.5 points per dollar, $40000-80000 2 points per dollar, over $80000 will dip back to 1.5 points per dollar

Third of all, the rewards plan seems a little odd with the World version earning more points if you spend less than $40000 a year...redeem policy is the same with all versions now it seems

Just FYI
Jr. Member
Dec 2, 2007
117 posts
21 upvotes
Laval
I have the world Elite card (previously platinum) for more than 15 years now but might stop it just before the next renewal due to the price increase from $125 to $200/yr (I do need 2 cards). Having said that, I love this card and still is. it's well integrated into your National bank account if you have one but most importantly for my needs was the insurance coverage. I did travel with family for more than 5 weeks (my wife using some government employees privileges to get at least 5 weeks of vacations). I was not able to find another card with this extended insurance coverage period. These days are now over with children working during summer or studying so no need for the 60 days insurance coverage anymore.
Note: if you claim the seat selection and extra-luggage or parking, please make sure to do so before the expiry period of 38 days after their purchase i.e do not wait to claim them after your extended trip.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)