[National Bank] National Bank Mastercard Cashback Offer - New Clients Only

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2019 10:14 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2003
1060 posts
239 upvotes
Winnipeg
The mention of **triple** the warranty on extended warranty got me to look into it. NBC has 3 cards that offer triple warranty (up to two years extra) .... all their other cards are double the warranty period (up to one year extra).

The triple the warranty cards - all with an annual fee - are the Platinum at $89 a year, the World at $115 a year and the World Elite at $150 a year annual fee. Platinum has no minimum income requirement, World has $60,000 individual or $100,000 family minimum income requirement and World Elite has $80,000 individual or $150,000 family minimum income requirement.

link to the summary page of their cards

The fine print for the warranty says "up to 2 additional years" so 1 year manufacturers warranty becomes 3, 2 year manufacturers warranty becomes 4 and 5 year manufacturers warranty becomes 7. If the item has a 5 year or longer manufacturers warranty then you need to register the item with them.

Note that when you submit a warranty claim they are going to want 4 items ... A copy of the original bill of sale, a copy of the monthly credit card statement showing the entire purchase was put on the credit card, a copy of the front page of the owners manual and a copy of the warranty page (with some items that is that loose slip of paper that some people throw out). Some products are excluded - like automobile and boat parts...
Last edited by careh on Sep 10th, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 7, 2019
160 posts
95 upvotes
When is cash back given? Monthly or annually? If annually which month?

Wondering if I will end up paying AF twice to get $480 cash back.
Nov 13, 2016
257 posts
361 upvotes
whatyoulookinatbud wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 8:24 am
FYF?
Seems like combining it with the NBC Chequing account offer which will also get you $300 will give you FYF. But have to keep it open for a year and keep $6k in it.
Aug 17, 2006
194 posts
114 upvotes
Coquitlam BC
Just reading about the details of the $250 travel bonuses

"14. The maximum amount that can be submitted for reimbursement between January 1 and December 31 of each year is $250. Eligible expenses include: airport parking fees (maximum $100), baggage fees (maximum $100) and seat selection fees (maximum $50). The claim must be submitted within 60 days of the purchase date and accompanied by proof of purchase. The travel fees must be charged to the National Bank World Elite Mastercard credit card. The maximum reimbursement amount is $250 per account. An amount not claimed in a year cannot be carried over to the following year"

I wonder if we can double dip if we apply this year and then use again in 2020 before you cancel? That would yield at least another $100 for me at least for parking...not so sure about baggage and seat selection to be worth too much. Interesting card OP!
Nov 12, 2017
61 posts
79 upvotes
Thanks OP! Similar to one of the posts above, I was wondering if you can clarify how the cashback will be awarded? Is the monthly cashback awarded at the end of each billing cycle (I.e. $40 cashback each month for 12 months) or is the total cashback for a period of 12 months awarded once at the end of the first year?
Oct 11, 2012
189 posts
136 upvotes
TORONTO
This promotion is intended for individuals who do not have a National Bank Mastercard credit card and cannot be combined with any other National Bank offer, promotion or advantage.
slampii wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 7:59 pm
Seems like combining it with the NBC Chequing account offer which will also get you $300 will give you FYF. But have to keep it open for a year and keep $6k in it.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2007
4765 posts
3204 upvotes
Calgary
I’ll probably grab one. The hardest thing will be to spend 500$ a month on it.
Mar 2, 2013
13 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Is there a particular NB MC that qualifies for this $40 a month cashback because i dont see it being advertised anywhere. I tried calling them yesterday, waited 50 mins only to find out that i was speaking with a french only rep who was not that proficient in english.
Mar 18, 2007
296 posts
80 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote:
Sep 4th, 2019 6:12 pm
I don't know about that. With me being on RFD everyday, it won't take long at all.
Apr 7, 2019
160 posts
95 upvotes
Siva1013 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2019 6:24 pm
Is there a particular NB MC that qualifies for this $40 a month cashback because i dont see it being advertised anywhere. I tried calling them yesterday, waited 50 mins only to find out that i was speaking with a french only rep who was not that proficient in english.
Platinum, World and World Elite.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1402 posts
3381 upvotes
Pawtucket
I ended up applying for the WE version. No immediate decision yet. Said I will be mailed a decision letter within 10-15 business days. Might call them in a few days to see if I was approved.

On the notice of disclosure it did indicate "Annual fees will appear on the 2nd statement following the issuance of the card, and once a year thereafter, on the anniversary of this 2nd statement, whether the card is activated or not."
This sounds promising since I am hoping the $480 credit appears after the 12th month and I can cancel before the 2nd AF hits.
Apr 8, 2010
49 posts
17 upvotes
mr2711 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 7:56 pm

The cashback amount to which you are entitled
is determined during each billing cycle. Your
cashback will be automatically applied to the
balance of your credit card account as soon
as it becomes due.

Source: https://www.nbc.ca/content/dam/bnc/part ... t-2018.pdf
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
8546 posts
2301 upvotes
SammyDavis wrote:
Sep 4th, 2019 6:12 pm
Between 4 cell phones, a cable bill and groceries, should do it. Obviously everyone is different.

The Elite NBC MC has become my only fee card for the past 5 years.
Parking and baggage has paid for it every year, even parking (on a road trip with our own car) at a hotel near an airport in Washington.
Used it on $3000 medical claim in States (they dealt direclty with the hospital), claims on a MacBook Pro and a luggage delay claim.
Though it's not my everyday card I use it for any travel, electronic, appliance purchase because of the additional 3rd year on the warranty.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2012
1254 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
redboy69 wrote:
Sep 4th, 2019 10:16 pm
I ended up applying for the WE version. No immediate decision yet. Said I will be mailed a decision letter within 10-15 business days. Might call them in a few days to see if I was approved.

On the notice of disclosure it did indicate "Annual fees will appear on the 2nd statement following the issuance of the card, and once a year thereafter, on the anniversary of this 2nd statement, whether the card is activated or not."
This sounds promising since I am hoping the $480 credit appears after the 12th month and I can cancel before the 2nd AF hits.
Do you mind to let me know how long it needs to be approval or whether it is easy to do online, planing to apply the crad too, not sure go to branch will be easy than online, thanks in advance.
Simple is the best.
Oct 11, 2012
189 posts
136 upvotes
TORONTO
I just called them. The 10/40 is credited monthly on the 15th of each month(the month after the monthly spend is reached).

mr2711 wrote:
Sep 3rd, 2019 7:56 pm