Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
National Bank

National Bank Mastercard Cashback Offer - New Clients Only

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2020 2:14 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9019 posts
2817 upvotes
Ottawa
For the seat and baggage claims, does the entire ticket fare have to charged to the nbc cc or just the associated portions?

Edit: meh, I just applied for the platinum for simplicity.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2019
1858 posts
2304 upvotes
mr2711 wrote: Planning to get Platinum card and hoping to get $40/cashback per month.

When does first month start? From card Issue date, card activation date or first day of the month?
Anyone?
Vacationing
Nov 26, 2018
185 posts
1804 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
And to my knowledge, National MyCredit cash back Mastercard is one among those few no annual fee credit cards which also offer up to 1000$ mobile device protection for damage and theft for free.
Images
  • 1D6CA69A-BA7D-4C5F-ADAD-52B923005376.jpeg
Rob
Nov 22, 2012
812 posts
940 upvotes
NS
jeeva86 wrote: For the seat and baggage claims, does the entire ticket fare have to charged to the nbc cc or just the associated portions?

Edit: meh, I just applied for the platinum for simplicity.
Only the travel fees must be charged to the National Bank World Elite Mastercard credit card to claim the reimbursement.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2014
2363 posts
3541 upvotes
Got instant approval for the World Elite at the branch.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
995 upvotes
GTA
any cashback sites offering $$ for signing up the card? Seems like GCR got every card except this one.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2014
2363 posts
3541 upvotes
greg123 wrote: any cashback sites offering $$ for signing up the card? Seems like GCR got every card except this one.
Didn't see any.
Jun 25, 2010
468 posts
94 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
stemfi wrote: To choose which card, you need to factor in the point value of the minimum spend of $6,000 ($500 x 12) and determine the net cost of each card. If we assume you will be using the points earned against travel not booked through the National Bank travel site, a point is worth $0.0083. So if we use the $6,000 spend, the net cost of the World Elite would be $150 (Annual Fee) - $74.70 (Rewards on the $6,000 x 1.5 points = 9,000 points x $0.0083 = $74.70) = $75.30. The World net cost would be $115 (Annual Fee) - $62.25 (Rewards on the $6,000 x 1.25 points = 7,500 points x $0.0083 = $62.25) = $52.75. The Platinum net cost would be $89 (Annual Fee) - $49.80 (Rewards on the $6,000 x 1 point = 6,000 points x $0083 = $49.80) = $39.20. No one would choose the World since it costs more than the Platinum with no extra benefit (except for the higher multiplier). So the choice boils down to whether you can use any of the Travel perks (Airport Parking $100, Seat Selection $50 or Baggage Fees $100) that would offset the extra net cost of $36.10 for the World Elite ($75.30 net cost) vs. the Platinum ($39.20 net cost).
Thanks for doing the calculations. I also accounted for the lost cashback if I did not use my Rogers MC which has gives 1.75%.
- Rogers MC: purchases of $6000 x 0.0175 = $105
- NBC: as per your calculations, $6000 spending = $74.70
- Therefore, loss of $105 - $74.70 = $30.3

Other potential losses as mentioned in the thread:
- The $40 monthly bonus is applied ~45 days later. This means, if you do not continue with the card into a 2nd year --> you lose the 11th and 12th month's $40 --> loss of $80. See their exact wording for details ("The total amount of monthly net purchases is calculated on the first day of the month after the account has been opened. For example, an account that was opened on September 15 will have its net purchases calculated on October 1 and the first cashback will be made no later than November 15."
- If you do continue with the card into the 2nd year, you pay the annual fee of $150 (which is probably subject to change, I imagine).

But in the big picture of using the NBC, if you're reducing your spending on the Rogers MC to take advantage of this promotion, it looks the range of bonus money you will make is:
- cancel card before renewal (therefore 10 months of $40/month cashback) is: ($40/mo for 10 months = $400) - $150 annual fee + $62.25 in NBC rewards (adjusted for 10 months) - $25.25 (for not using Rogers MC, adjusted for 10 months) = $400 - $150 + $62.25 -$25.25 = $287, with up to $250 additional value if you use the travel perks. Therefore range is $287-$537 in value. It is unclear to me, but I think if you use the $250 travel perks by the end of 2019, this limit renews at the beginning of 2020, so the potential value of this card is $787?
- cancel card after renewal: $480 - 2x $150 annual fee (=$300) + $74.70 (NBC rewards) - $30.3 (Rogers) = $144.40 with two years worth of $500 travel perks = therefore range is $144.40-$644.40.

Any thoughts on my analysis? Please correct me if/where I am mistaken.
Dec 1, 2003
94 posts
40 upvotes
So for the World Elite, if I use it to pay for airport parking, and then later get it refunded, does that amount still count in the $500 that month to get the $40 cashback? Just curious.
Mar 3, 2015
622 posts
1097 upvotes
King City
IOwnAndPwnU wrote: Thanks for doing the calculations. I also accounted for the lost cashback if I did not use my Rogers MC which has gives 1.75%.

- The $40 monthly bonus is applied ~45 days later. This means, if you do not continue with the card into a 2nd year --> you lose the 11th and 12th month's $40 --> loss of $80. See their exact wording for details ("The total amount of monthly net purchases is calculated on the first day of the month after the account has been opened. For example, an account that was opened on September 15 will have its net purchases calculated on October 1 and the first cashback will be made no later than November 15."
- If you do continue with the card into the 2nd year, you pay the annual fee of $150 (which is probably subject to change, I imagine).

But in the big picture of using the NBC, if you're reducing your spending on the Rogers MC to take advantage of this promotion, it looks the range of bonus money you will make is:
- cancel card before renewal (therefore 10 months of $40/month cashback) is: ($40/mo for 10 months = $400) - $150 annual fee + $62.25 in NBC rewards (adjusted for 10 months) - $25.25 (for not using Rogers MC, adjusted for 10 months) = $400 - $150 + $62.25 -$25.25 = $287, with up to $250 additional value if you use the travel perks. Therefore range is $287-$537 in value. It is unclear to me, but I think if you use the $250 travel perks by the end of 2019, this limit renews at the beginning of 2020, so the potential value of this card is $787?
- cancel card after renewal: $480 - 2x $150 annual fee (=$300) + $74.70 (NBC rewards) - $30.3 (Rogers) = $144.40 with two years worth of $500 travel perks = therefore range is $144.40-$644.40.

Wow that's a detailed analysis haha. What if you factored in the other perks as well, eg triple warranty, travel insurance, etc. What would be the approximate benefit?
Jun 25, 2010
468 posts
94 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
TheSheldor wrote: Wow that's a detailed analysis haha. What if you factored in the other perks as well, eg triple warranty, travel insurance, etc. What would be the approximate benefit?
Not sure if sarcasm, but I'll answer the question for other members. The other perks like travel insurance, etc. are fairly standard across similar credit cards and so I don't see them as offering additional value with this specific credit card. But you do make a good point that a detailed analysis should account for these factors.
Mar 3, 2015
622 posts
1097 upvotes
King City
IOwnAndPwnU wrote: Not sure if sarcasm, but I'll answer the question for other members. The other perks like travel insurance, etc. are fairly standard across similar credit cards and so I don't see them as offering additional value with this specific credit card. But you do make a good point that a detailed analysis should account for these factors.
No I'm serious. Correct me if I'm wrong but not many cards offer triple warranty and also the travel insuranc is on the better end of the spectrum.

Also my comment was specifically targeted at the comparison he was making with the Rogers mc. I don't own a Rogers mc but I don't think it has that many "premium" features?

I'm just curious for curiosities sake. I already got the national bank world elite
Nov 22, 2012
812 posts
940 upvotes
NS
IOwnAndPwnU wrote: Thanks for doing the calculations. I also accounted for the lost cashback if I did not use my Rogers MC which has gives 1.75%.

Good point on the potential impact of the cash back delay. Whether you can get 10/11/12 months of cash back for 1 annual fee may be impacted by the credit card opening date and annual fee posting date. Does anyone know what the policy is regarding a possible annual fee refund if you were to cancel the card 1-2 months after you paid the annual fee for year 2 (after you received the 12th cash back)?

Yes, the smart travel benefits for the world elite card are $250 per calendar year (Jan-Dec), so you could get $500 in rebates for the first year annual fee.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 4, 2011
7374 posts
9178 upvotes
Montreal
TheSheldor wrote: No I'm serious. Correct me if I'm wrong but not many cards offer triple warranty and also the travel insuranc is on the better end of the spectrum.

Also my comment was specifically targeted at the comparison he was making with the Rogers mc. I don't own a Rogers mc but I don't think it has that many "premium" features?

I'm just curious for curiosities sake. I already got the national bank world elite
The travel insurance on NBC WE card ranks at the top of the offerings in Canada (along with the Desjardins premium cards). For those that want/need insurance, the WE card definitely provides value through the insurance offering. And compared to the Rogers WE, the NBC travel insurance offering is substantially better than what the Rogers card offers (which, to me, is inadequate for travel insurance, and I personally wouldn't book travel on the Rogers card for that reason).
Nov 22, 2012
812 posts
940 upvotes
NS
TheSheldor wrote: No I'm serious. Correct me if I'm wrong but not many cards offer triple warranty and also the travel insuranc is on the better end of the spectrum.

True, the triple extended warranty (+2 years) and 180 purchase protection insurance are rare. The National Bank premium cards have a very good insurance package (better than Rogers) but are missing a few key benefits (common carrier, mobile device, hotel burglary, etc.).
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2005
1289 posts
693 upvotes
jevonb wrote: Good point on the potential impact of the cash back delay. Whether you can get 10/11/12 months of cash back for 1 annual fee may be impacted by the credit card opening date and annual fee posting date. Does anyone know what the policy is regarding a possible annual fee refund if you were to cancel the card 1-2 months after you paid the annual fee for year 2 (after you received the 12th cash back)?

Yes, the smart travel benefits for the world elite card are $250 per calendar year (Jan-Dec), so you could get $500 in rebates for the first year annual fee.
Good question, I suppose getting the card opened 2nd half of the month is better (i.e. so you get the rebate for your 11th calendar month's spending on the 15th day of your 12th month, before your 2nd year Annual Fee posts). If they will prorate the annual fee upon cancellation or at least prorate/refund within 30 days of it being charged, that would make things easier. But I'm not sure on their policy.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2008
1767 posts
4503 upvotes
Pawtucket
Don't think think this explanation was there when I applied last month but they now explain how the $40 credit will be applied:

Over a 12-month period, get cash back for each (calendar) month you charge a minimum amount in net purchases to an eligible credit card account. The cashback will be credited to the account no later than the 15th of the following month.

$40 cashback per month
Get $40 cashback for each month you charge at least $500 in net purchases to your card (from the 1st to the last day of the month), with a maximum annual rebate of $480.

Net purchases correspond to the amount in purchases charged to the account minus returns and refunds. Annual fees, balance transfers and cash advances are not included in the calculation.

The total amount of monthly net purchases is calculated on the first day of the month after the account has been opened. For example, an account that was opened on September 15 will have its net purchases calculated on October 1 and the first cashback will be made no later than November 15.

I got the card mid-September and did eventually spend >$500 before the month ended but not sure if I will get the $40 based on the above terms. I called in and they said I should get it automatically but might have to call back on Oct. 16 to argue for it. My first statement printed on Set. 24 and was not charged AF until after the statement so we might not get the full 12 months of $40 if looking to avoid paying the second AF.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9019 posts
2817 upvotes
Ottawa
How come nobody posted a thread regarding their $300 chequing acc offer? Just seen it in branch when I went to validate my Id.
Nov 26, 2014
372 posts
278 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
never want a national bank credit card
it is a joke
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
webants wrote: never want a national bank credit card
it is a joke
Explain......

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)