Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
National Bank

National Bank World Elite Mastercard: 20,000 points + $250 travel credit + annual fee waiver + rebate (over $500 value)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 23rd, 2023 1:08 pm
Aug 30, 2018
52 posts
674 upvotes
FYI -- DP

Applied for the card on May 2, never had any products with NBC, and was approved instantly meet all conditions, I do have excellent credit, and I apply for a lot of cards. A few days later verification emailed me, probably the first time ever that has happened to me for a CC. Emailed back and forth with them about what they wanted, I did send them pay stubs and an employment confirmation letter, on Friday, on Tuesday he asked for an email from my employer, this morning I emailed and said I am not having my manager email them to get a credit card. Today I checked the mail my CC and PIN were both there, mailed separately. I thought it was another TD card I had applied to. For reference, I am in BC and not in GVRD...

I wonder if verification could or would cancel my card, thoughts?
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
Thriftypete wrote: FYI -- DP

Applied for the card on May 2, never had any products with NBC, and was approved instantly meet all conditions, I do have excellent credit, and I apply for a lot of cards. A few days later verification emailed me, probably the first time ever that has happened to me for a CC. Emailed back and forth with them about what they wanted, I did send them pay stubs and an employment confirmation letter, on Friday, on Tuesday he asked for an email from my employer, this morning I emailed and said I am not having my manager email them to get a credit card. Today I checked the mail my CC and PIN were both there, mailed separately. I thought it was another TD card I had applied to. For reference, I am in BC and not in GVRD...

That's odd. I thought bank should do KYC before approval not other way around
May 9, 2003
192 posts
152 upvotes
Hamilton

I think it was this Thread (and likely other CC threads) where posters have reported having income verification issues (after being approved), then receive their CC and pin, but find their card gets locked when they try to use it. Then they are asked to call or report to a branch. Happened to me once with a new CIBC CC. Seems like it can happen for a lot of different reasons.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
simplypop wrote: Please elaborate. Hopefully I won't have any issues in the future.

Anyone used the warranty or chargeback on this card previously?
Used the extended warranty a couple of times on a MacBook.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
2812 posts
3878 upvotes
nevyn1234 wrote: Just about finished my churn with this card.

The fee and delayed rebate is a bit of a pain, but no big deal.

The travel expense credits are very easy to get reimbursed.

The one thing that was not clear to me were the increments you have to redeem points against travel for. Basically I ended up knocking only 100 off my car rental as i did not quite have enough points for 200 and could do nothing in between. But did not lose much value as the redemption for a 50 dollar amazon egift card is not that bad.

Reasonable card to churn for a year. Not a card I would hold as the earning is not great and redemption is anemic. And while in theory the expense benefits would "pay for" the annual fee, in practice you can sort of hack yourself doing that, as depending on your trips it is debatable whether you would normally be needing/using any/all of the 3 redemptions.
So if I understand correctly. You basically just book the hotel/flight on your card. Go to the NBC website, and redeem points towards travel? (That's the "best" use of the points?)
Easy peasy?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2017
1047 posts
1093 upvotes
simplypop wrote: So if I understand correctly. You basically just book the hotel/flight on your card. Go to the NBC website, and redeem points towards travel? (That's the "best" use of the points?)
Easy peasy?
Sort of. Yes, you can purchase and redeem from their rewards site. But the points you can redeem are in fixed blocks, so it is tough to use all your points on a travel redemption. I had more than 12000 points and fewer than 24000, so only had the option to redeem 100 that way, and I used some of the remainder on a gift card.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
Is there any way to turn off or reduce the verification code from NBC? It seems iOS apps sends verification code each time I log in. This never happened for other banks. They might send occasionally but not this often

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
smartie wrote: Is there any way to turn off or reduce the verification code from NBC? It seems iOS apps sends verification code each time I log in. This never happened for other banks. They might send occasionally but not this often

Thanks
On your users preferences you can change SMS to email, but not the frequency they ask for the code. They ask for it at every login, for security purpose, and yes, it's annoying
Jul 26, 2011
182 posts
205 upvotes
Toronto
I have a trip coming up in July and I have already made the flight tickets - my outbound (TD Aeroplan) and inbound (Amex simply cash) are on two different cards respectively and are partial reward tickets. Planning to apply for NBC Master Card and also considering Desjardin Odyssey card. Medical Travel Insurance and Trip Interruption Insurance are my main concerns.

I had a question if the NBC Master Card will provide us Emergency Medical and Trip Interruption insurance for our trip even if I have not put flight charges on this card? I can make few hotel charges and train charges for the trip on this card if that can be counted as partial changes for the trip. Appreciate if someone who is more familiar with these insurance coverages can chime in and share some insights.
Aug 23, 2007
200 posts
110 upvotes
London
Trying to apply via creditcardGenius and getting error on the bank application page "Sorry, we're unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. Please try again later."
Tried both Chrome and Edge.

Anything to do except wait and try later?
Dec 28, 2004
70 posts
39 upvotes
ampersand38 wrote: Trying to apply via creditcardGenius and getting error on the bank application page "Sorry, we're unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. Please try again later."
Tried both Chrome and Edge.

Anything to do except wait and try later?
I used incognito on Chrome and it went through.
Oct 25, 2010
855 posts
415 upvotes
How long did it take you guys to get the big bonus of points after meeting the spending requirements?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2005
2098 posts
1968 upvotes
Ryes wrote: How long did it take you guys to get the big bonus of points after meeting the spending requirements?
The first statement after meeting the required spend had the bonus points.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
Master2312 wrote: I have a trip coming up in July and I have already made the flight tickets - my outbound (TD Aeroplan) and inbound (Amex simply cash) are on two different cards respectively and are partial reward tickets. Planning to apply for NBC Master Card and also considering Desjardin Odyssey card. Medical Travel Insurance and Trip Interruption Insurance are my main concerns.

I had a question if the NBC Master Card will provide us Emergency Medical and Trip Interruption insurance for our trip even if I have not put flight charges on this card? I can make few hotel charges and train charges for the trip on this card if that can be counted as partial changes for the trip. Appreciate if someone who is more familiar with these insurance coverages can chime in and share some insights.
It will for medical emergency as the ticket doesn't have to be bought on the card, can even be for a road trip in a car. Don't know about the trip interruption.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
The balance amount includes pending transaction. Is this correct? My other cards only show posted amount as balance .

Funny thing is I actually prefer balance include pending transaction
Aug 30, 2018
52 posts
674 upvotes

Update, the next day I got a letter from NBC saying, "At my request, the account has been closed". I gave verification my work email, and then they said the account would be activated, quite the nuisance, also partly due to the poor English of the representative.

I am curious if I will get the welcome bonus after all this, I am quite skeptical and the whole process was annoying, I was about to throw in the towel. However, I had a similar occurrence at HSBC the first time I got a product there as well.
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12734 posts
6256 upvotes
Thriftypete wrote: Update, the next day I got a letter from NBC saying, "At my request, the account has been closed". I gave verification my work email, and then they said the account would be activated, quite the nuisance, also partly due to the poor English of the representative.

I am curious if I will get the welcome bonus after all this, I am quite skeptical and the whole process was annoying, I was about to throw in the towel. However, I had a similar occurrence at HSBC the first time I got a product there as well.
Found that annoying as well the times that I have to deal with them. As a bank, if you are servicing all of Canada I think their communication skills in our other language should be better
Nov 23, 2018
168 posts
165 upvotes
Is the $150 annual fee normal to be charged on the 2nd invoice and not waived? I met the spend requirement as well but no bonus points.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12573 upvotes
Markham
maliken7576 wrote: Is the $150 annual fee normal to be charged on the 2nd invoice and not waived? I met the spend requirement as well but no bonus points.
From above post, it seems annual fee is charged in first statement and refunded in the second statement. But you can call them to manually refund annual fee once you see annual fee charge