2019 Air Miles Mega Miles

National - BMO AMs MC - 100 BAMs WU Spend $ 250 at PARTICIPATING Partners (March 21st thru April 25th)

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2019 11:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2006
4743 posts
976 upvotes
sherri-chan wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 3:54 am
Thanks for your reply. I think I'll go ahead and apply for the card Smiling Face With Open Mouth
FYI if you want the card within 1-2 business days, you can pay an expedited fee for an extra $25. I had a bill to pay that I wanted to use the card for, so I just ponied up so that I could get it on there to hit my $3000 sooner.

I was thinking of cancelling too, but the double dipping and BAM events @PointsHubby has me thinking about double checking to see what my earn rate is like this year :) Now that AM has partnered with RedTag.ca, our travel options with AM has increased significantly I think.
*RFD - once you're in there's no getting out.*

*If you wanna buy something, wait for it! Eventually RFD will post it and something in your pants will feel awesome that you waited: your wallet.*
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1027 posts
608 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
Any partipating stores online? Like staples or rona.ca?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8314 posts
5754 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
JFRACINE wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 3:41 pm
Any partipating stores online? Like staples or rona.ca?
You’d have to check the MMs 2019 Pg for your Province / Region for specific offers
www.airmilesmegamiles.ca

But off the top of my head
ACE - Rona - Reno Depot - Lowes - The Children’s Place - HBC / Hudson’s Bay - Miss Fresh.com - Action Car & Truck Accessories - Crock Pot - Foodsaver - Oster - Sunbeam - and Margaritaville Cargo

Now if you plan to do the BMO AMs CC challenge as a DOUBLE DIP ... you’d have to check which ones are listed with them (see info in this topics OP)

Or, if you think you’d like to TRIPLE DIP and go thru AIRMILES SHOPS.ca ... you’d also have to check in with the AMShops Directory of Affiliated Stores https://www.airmilesshops.ca/en/directory#shops
And of course go thru the MMs AirMiles Shops.ca Offer / Portal (see that Offers topic here on this MMs 2019 FORUM for more info)
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2307 posts
1070 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 4:07 pm
You’d have to check the MMs 2019 Pg for your Province / Region for specific offers
www.airmilesmegamiles.ca

But off the top of my head
ACE - Rona - Reno Depot - Lowes - The Children’s Place - HBC / Hudson’s Bay - Miss Fresh.com - Action Car & Truck Accessories - Crock Pot - Foodsaver - Oster - Sunbeam - and Margaritaville Cargo

Now if you plan to do the BMO AMs CC challenge as a DOUBLE DIP ... you’d have to check which ones are listed with them (see info in this topics OP)

Or, if you think you’d like to TRIPLE DIP and go thru AIRMILES SHOPS.ca ... you’d also have to check in with the AMShops Directory of Affiliated Stores https://www.airmilesshops.ca/en/directory#shops
And of course go thru the MMs AirMiles Shops.ca Offer / Portal (see that Offers topic here on this MMs 2019 FORUM for more info)
As was pointed out to me on the other forum, BMO AM Mastercard has its own (shorter) list of Participating Partners when you click on the 'here' link in the online coupon. So for example, no "Children's Place". On the other hand the Staples logo is there so I would assume, but can't be sure, that staples.ca will count.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8314 posts
5754 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
akaManny wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 4:17 pm
As was pointed out to me on the other forum, BMO AM Mastercard has its own (shorter) list of Participating Partners when you click on the 'here' link in the online coupon. So for example, no "Children's Place". On the other hand the Staples logo is there so I would assume, but can't be sure, that staples.ca will count.
As I said, I incorporated that BMO List here in the OP under FINE PRINT ... with the link

If you use Staples, it will count for one of the BMO Needed AMs Retailers towards the $ 250

But it won’t count as a MMs 2019 PARTNER COUNT... cause right now there are NO OFFERS listed on the MMs Website for Staples

Mind you this could change... not unusual for NEW Offers to be added over the Span of an AMs BIG BONUS Event
So we might see something from Staples Later on

BEST USE OF THE BMO OFFER —
DOUBLE DIP with AMs Retailers BOTH on the BMO List as well as having PARTNER OFFERS
TRIPLE DIP = Find a PARTNER OFFER that works online as well with the AIRMILES SHOPS.CA OFFER
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
4395 posts
2372 upvotes
sherri-chan wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2019 3:21 am
@PointsHubby
Thanks! I think I'm gonna go with the World Elite card since it gives 1000 bonus AMs after first purchase, and annual fee is waived for the first year. Don't think I'd be able to utilize the Companion Flight Rebate Offer since I don't have enough dream miles for a flight but that's okay!

I have a couple more questions to people who had this card before... I just read the T&C and it does say if the card is cancelled within 90 days, they will claw black the AMs. I plan to cancel it on the 11th month so that I don't pay annual fee. Is the cancellation on the 11th month pretty hassle free? Does the credit card owner name have to match the AM card holder's name for the bonus AMs? I share my AM card with my mom (it's under her name), but I'm planning to get the BMO card myself.

Thanks!
In addition to the welcome points that you get when you open the BMO World Elite MC, you will see reduced points requirements for making Dream Miles flight redemptions, plus better insurance coverages that come with owning a World Elite MC, such as medical coverage when outside of your province/Canada and you don't even need to use the card to pay for your travel expenses.

There's also one other benefit that you get with the BMO World Elite MC, which is the 2 free airport lounge visits with the supplied free membership to the MC LoungeKey program. Not a lot, but you'd get 2 credits to use in 2019, and then another 2 will reload onto the account in Jan 2020, so 4 total during your card ownership tenure. Protip: you won't lose the next year's 2 credits if you haven't used them up yet, even after you close down the card.

You don't need to cancel at the 11th month. The $120 annual fee will post at your card's 1 year anniversary date and you'll see it at the next statement, but you have 30 days grace period to get a full $120 refund placed back into your account. So if you REALLY want to maximize your WE MC card ownership you can call to close down the card a week before your payment is due, and you'll see the $120 refunded to the card account.

Instead of cancelling, you may want to considering calling BMO to do a product switch on the card, downgrading it to the no-fee basic version of the BMO MC. You'll lose the benefits that come with it being a World Elite version, but it will still be eligible as a mule for these Air Miles big events.

Looking further down the road, if you want to call BMO and do a product switch to upgrade it back to the World Elite version (i.e., if it's still FYF at that later date) then this is likely a no-go, and you won't get the FYF+welcome points again. However, you MAY see an online offer to upgrade it to the WE version for a lesser amount, such as 500 Air Miles, instead of the 3,000 that they are currently offering (after spending $3000 with the card in 90 days). Product switching is great for people who don't want to take another credit hit at the bureaus, but if you want the larger welcome bonuses you'd have to re-apply for the World Elite MC with a new application (and a new hard pull on your credit file).

The Air Miles number that you link to the BMO MC does not have to name-match. My wife and I have been using the same Air Miles number (under my name) on all of our BMO and Amex Air Miles co-branded CCs, even when she has her own primary cards.

BTW, I would suggest you to spend the $3000 in the first 90 days after approval, so that you get the full 3,000 Air Miles welcome bonus. If you qualify for the World Elite MC, then you likely can dust this off in no time. The welcome points do count towards attaining Gold/Onyx status.

Bee, who has lived all that has been written above.

[edit]: corrected the minimum spending requirement - it's $3000, not $1000
Last edited by bizee-bee on Mar 28th, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1416 posts
112 upvotes
If I'm helping my wife collect the MEGA, can I use my wifes AM account to make a purchase, but use my BMO card which is under a different AM number?

Would that still count toward the $250 MEGA offer?
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2017
1113 posts
854 upvotes
Winnipeg
reggyDeal wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 2:57 pm
If I'm helping my wife collect the MEGA, can I use my wifes AM account to make a purchase, but use my BMO card which is under a different AM number?

Would that still count toward the $250 MEGA offer?
Yes and yes. Her airmiles account will get the store-specific offer, and your M/C will get the $$ spent towards the $250 offer.
Deal Addict
Sep 12, 2017
1416 posts
112 upvotes
Kelly M wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 3:02 pm
Yes and yes. Her airmiles account will get the store-specific offer, and your M/C will get the $$ spent towards the $250 offer.
Does AM, know or collect personal information on what payment type and credit card was used?

Wondering if it is better to use cash for privacy concerns?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
8314 posts
5754 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
reggyDeal wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 3:17 pm
Does AM, know or collect personal information on what payment type and credit card was used?

Wondering if it is better to use cash for privacy concerns?
Don’t know for sure...

BUT someone is, be it AirMiles or the Merchant
I mean really that’s what AMs is a Coordinator of Marketing & Market Research for their Partners
A Central Loyalty Program meant to encourage Shoppers / Collectors to keep the AMs Partners front and centre in their shopping realm

* Cash works for all instore purchases
But seriously, you are going to what avoid plastic entirely in your life’s payment plans ?
In this day and age I don’t even know how that would work... as more and more Retailers prefer plastic
And it’s oodles more convenient
Doesn’t matter how you pay in reality... cause the Banks have tons of data on as all anyhow
(Personal - Employer - How Much We Make - How Much we Save & How & Where - How Much we Spend & How & Where - Cash, Debit, Credit... they pretty much know it all)
May 19, 2009
232 posts
106 upvotes
Vancouver
bizee-bee wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2019 10:50 am
There's also one other benefit that you get with the BMO World Elite MC, which is the 2 free airport lounge visits with the supplied free membership to the MC LoungeKey program. Not a lot, but you'd get 2 credits to use in 2019, and then another 2 will reload onto the account in Jan 2020, so 4 total during your card ownership tenure. Protip: you won't lose the next year's 2 credits if you haven't used them up yet, even after you close down the card.
Interesting, so do you just go to, let's say YVR, and after you passed customs, you can go into the lounge for the airline you booked with just by showing the BMO card?
Instead of cancelling, you may want to considering calling BMO to do a product switch on the card, downgrading it to the no-fee basic version of the BMO MC. You'll lose the benefits that come with it being a World Elite version, but it will still be eligible as a mule for these Air Miles big events.

Looking further down the road, if you want to call BMO and do a product switch to upgrade it back to the World Elite version (i.e., if it's still FYF at that later date) then this is likely a no-go, and you won't get the FYF+welcome points again. However, you MAY see an online offer to upgrade it to the WE version for a lesser amount, such as 500 Air Miles, instead of the 3,000 that they are currently offering (after spending $1000 with the card in 90 days). Product switching is great for people who don't want to take another credit hit at the bureaus, but if you want the larger welcome bonuses you'd have to re-apply for the World Elite MC with a new application (and a new hard pull on your credit file).
Thanks, I might consider switching. Does a hard pull really hurt my credit that much if I have never been late with paying off my credit card bills? I have only been late ONCE with paying my phone bill because I forgot to change from a cancelled card to a new card, and late for strata fee for a few months for the same reason (cancelled the cheque account I was paying it with but forgot to put the payment through my other account). I usually apply 1-2 new credit cards a year with random promos. The most recent card I got was the Scotia Bank one that offers 10% cash back (had two big bills to pay in Feb so got that $2000 out of the way already).
The Air Miles number that you link to the BMO MC does not have to name-match. My wife and I have been using the same Air Miles number (under my name) on all of our BMO and Amex Air Miles co-branded CCs, even when she has her own primary cards.
Good to know, thanks!
BTW, I would suggest you to spend the $1000 in the first 90 days after approval, so that you get the full 3,000 Air Miles welcome bonus. If you qualify for the World Elite MC, then you likely can dust this off in no time. The welcome points do count towards attaining Gold/Onyx status.
Unfortunately, it's min $3000 to earn the full 3000 BAMs for the WE card ($1000 for the regular card that gives 400 BAMs). I can definitely pull off $1000, but probably not $3000. I already bought $2000 worth of gift cards back with the TD 9% cash back promo last Winter and I reaaaaaally don't want another big stash of gift cards that'll still take me months to go through... Disappointed But Relieved Face I don't have any big bills to pay within the next 3 months. so I'll only spend the $250 to finish the offer and get the introductory 1000 BAMs.

Receive an additional 2,000 Bonus Miles when you spend a minimum of $3,000 (less refunds and excluding cash advances, cash-like transactions, interest charges, fees, credit or debit adjustments) on purchases using the Credit Card within the first three (3) months from the Credit Card open date. https://www.bmo.com/popups/main/persona ... ns-en.html
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2010
1027 posts
608 upvotes
Lac St-Jean
I think i will buy a gift card at a partipating store and call it a day. Even with stacking, i could earn a max of 90 airmiles {excluding bmo offee). I don't really need something at rona.ca or renodepot or staples and its not that hard to fulfill 5 offers.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2008
4395 posts
2372 upvotes
sherri-chan wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 1:54 am
Interesting, so do you just go to, let's say YVR, and after you passed customs, you can go into the lounge for the airline you booked with just by showing the BMO card?
Not quite. You have to register for a LoungeKey membership, and your account will be granted the designated number of free lounge visits into that account, according to the type of premier MC that you own. The LoungeKey airport lounge program is BMO's replacement for the tried-and-true Priority Pass lounges. Here's their website.
https://airport.mastercard.com/
So most lounges are airside, and yes you would need a same day departure boarding pass to accompany your membership card to access the lounges under its membership list (very similar lounges that are part of Priority Pass). Not all lounges are airside though, as there are some that are landside too, as arrival lounges. But in the case of YVR, yes they are airside.

sherri-chan wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 1:54 am
Unfortunately, it's min $3000 to earn the full 3000 BAMs for the WE card ($1000 for the regular card that gives 400 BAMs). I can definitely pull off $1000, but probably not $3000. I already bought $2000 worth of gift cards back with the TD 9% cash back promo last Winter and I reaaaaaally don't want another big stash of gift cards that'll still take me months to go through... Disappointed But Relieved Face I don't have any big bills to pay within the next 3 months. so I'll only spend the $250 to finish the offer and get the introductory 1000 BAMs.

Receive an additional 2,000 Bonus Miles when you spend a minimum of $3,000 (less refunds and excluding cash advances, cash-like transactions, interest charges, fees, credit or debit adjustments) on purchases using the Credit Card within the first three (3) months from the Credit Card open date. https://www.bmo.com/popups/main/persona ... ns-en.html
My apologies. It is actually as you say, $3000 spending withing 90 days of approval. I'm getting confused with all the different CC welcome bonuses out there that cross my path. Sometimes it feels like I'm on an 18 lane highway. :lol:

I don't fancy loading up on gift cards too, especially if they are a bunch of smaller denominations, $20-$50 varieties. At one time I loaded up on $1800 worth of gas gift cards through Amex promos, at 25%-40% off, so it took me nearly 3 years to use them all up, all the while wondering if I ever forgot any. I do have a spreadsheet to keep track though, and happily I have all of them accounted for...spent, finally. I'll send you some ideas, privately. But otherwise, I do understand your position. Spending $3K to get an incremental 2000 miles (nominally worth $210 as Cash Miles) is a debatable venture to undertake, but that's a 7% return. I'll send you some ideas via a PM.

I've never opened the TD Cash Back Infinite Visa, even with the 9% welcome bonus. I prefer to open cards that offer travel points as they haul in higher value for me. But, there's something to be said about getting cash...Cash is King, however there are many kingdoms to be ruled. :)
May 19, 2009
232 posts
106 upvotes
Vancouver
bizee-bee wrote:
Mar 24th, 2019 8:54 am
Not quite. You have to register for a LoungeKey membership, and your account will be granted the designated number of free lounge visits into that account, according to the type of premier MC that you own. The LoungeKey airport lounge program is BMO's replacement for the tried-and-true Priority Pass lounges. Here's their website.
https://airport.mastercard.com/
So most lounges are airside, and yes you would need a same day departure boarding pass to accompany your membership card to access the lounges under its membership list (very similar lounges that are part of Priority Pass). Not all lounges are airside though, as there are some that are landside too, as arrival lounges. But in the case of YVR, yes they are airside.
Thanks for the info! I'm travelling next month, so I guess I might be able to utilize that. But would it make more sense to use it at places where you have long layover?
My apologies. It is actually as you say, $3000 spending withing 90 days of approval. I'm getting confused with all the different CC welcome bonuses out there that cross my path. Sometimes it feels like I'm on an 18 lane highway. :lol:

I don't fancy loading up on gift cards too, especially if they are a bunch of smaller denominations, $20-$50 varieties. At one time I loaded up on $1800 worth of gas gift cards through Amex promos, at 25%-40% off, so it took me nearly 3 years to use them all up, all the while wondering if I ever forgot any. I do have a spreadsheet to keep track though, and happily I have all of them accounted for...spent, finally. I'll send you some ideas, privately. But otherwise, I do understand your position. Spending $3K to get an incremental 2000 miles (nominally worth $210 as Cash Miles) is a debatable venture to undertake, but that's a 7% return. I'll send you some ideas via a PM.

I've never opened the TD Cash Back Infinite Visa, even with the 9% welcome bonus. I prefer to open cards that offer travel points as they haul in higher value for me. But, there's something to be said about getting cash...Cash is King, however there are many kingdoms to be ruled. :)
Thank you for your offer but I think I'll pass. I'm happy with the 2000+ AMs I'll be netting with the current event and the BMO introductory offer Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Jan 23, 2014
40 posts
3 upvotes
RICHMOND
If I use my BMO airmiles card to buy at airmiles.ca shop for indigo $100 gift card, will it count double dip?
BMO $250 spend and airmiles shop $100 spend