Expired Hot Deals

[National Car Rental] Free National Executive Elite status. Possible tier-match to Hertz, Avis, etc

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 4th, 2020 11:36 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2014
165 posts
362 upvotes
Mississauga

Free National Executive Elite status. Possible tier-match to Hertz, Avis, etc

Deal Link:
Price:
Free!
Retailer:
National Car Rental
Hi all,

I saw this pop up in my Google feed. If you have an Amex and use the link in the article, you can enroll or upgrade to Executive Elite status with National. Please note that this is the tier above Executive, though frankly I have experience with neither tier. The article also says Hertz may match you for top-tier status too, which is above the Gold level Platinum cardholders start with.

I used my Amex Platinum and it gave me status until Feb 2022. I had no status with National, so free is free! There are some helpful comments at the bottom of the link. I haven't tried matching with Hertz yet.

Good luck.

Edit #1 (01/02/2020): it will overwrite your corp codes, which may give better rates. But as another user has mentioned, just manually put it back in when booking, or email in to put the code on as default

Edit #2 (01/02/2020): Many RFDers (including username Sorceror) have signed up without even mentioning Amex. In fact, Sorceror had a Mastercard linked to their existing Emerald account.

Edit #3 (01/03/2020): If you only get regular Executive status, try https://legacy.nationalcar.ca/en_US/car ... cale=en_US (thanks V-ron)

Edit # 4 (01/02/2020): Please see Sports1's post on page 5 (post #61) for status-matching instructions. In summary, match to Avis first via email, then use that status to match to Enterprise using their online matching tool. Later after you receive the National welcome toolkit (mine is still pending...), you can match to Hertz via email. Again, please see Sports1's post.

Edit # 4 (01/22/20): received my Hertz Presidents circle status match. Still waiting on Avis.
Last edited by WgnDrgn on Jan 22nd, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Thread Summary
Oh and for everyone trying to status match with Hertz... the welcome email clearly states a membership kit will be emailed within 48 hours.

As per https://offer.hertz.com/offers/index.js ... sMatch.jsp:
How to Request a Status Match:

Simply enroll in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Program then provide proof of your identity and proof of status with other car rental companies via email to hertzstatusmatch@hertz.com. Please include the name of your company in the subject line of the email.

A. Proof of Identity (Please provide all)
First and last name as it appears on your Hertz account
Address as it appears on your Hertz account
Phone number
Email address

B. Proof of Status with Other Car Rental Companies (Please provide one)
Monthly statement indicating membership status
Copy of a credentials letter (membership kit)
Copy of a welcome letter
Just wait till you get the membership kit before firing off an email to Hertz..

And, according to POT: https://princeoftravel.com/blog/status- ... ar-rentals, you can probably match to Enterprise and Avis as well.

Avis you have to email profile.update@avisbudget.com, which gives you Avis Preferred Plus (according to https://www.middleagemiles.com/2018/05/ ... xperiment/, you'll have to call them 18005257521 if you want President's Club status)

Enterprise, fill out an online form here: https://statusmatch.enterpriseplus.com/
294 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5014 posts
1771 upvotes
Toronto
People need to be mindful that you usually have to take the CDW from the rental agency if you decide to rent luxury/sportscars.

Usually your credit card covers a max value of $65000. Your personal insurance is also capped at $50000 or the value of your own car.

I get offered a free upgrade into elite rentals all the time but usually pass due to the issues mentioned above.

You don't want to risk financial ruin because you decided to take that free offer into a C8 Corvette at the airport.
Mar 20, 2005
341 posts
47 upvotes
Ottawa
Seems to have worked on my existing Emerald account. Wondering if I have to use the 'AMEX EE' code for rentals, instead of my company's corporate number (preferred rate and insurance included). Will test on my first rental I guess.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2014
165 posts
362 upvotes
Mississauga
Triple_Eh wrote: Seems to have worked on my existing Emerald account. Wondering if I have to use the 'AMEX EE' code for rentals, instead of my company's corporate number (preferred rate and insurance included). Will test on my first rental I guess.
One of the comments said they will still use their corp code since it provides a better rate apparently.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2006
2644 posts
562 upvotes
Ottawa
rebel_rfd wrote: People need to be mindful that you usually have to take the CDW from the rental agency if you decide to rent luxury/sportscars.

Usually your credit card covers a max value of $65000. Your personal insurance is also capped at $50000 or the value of your own car.

I get offered a free upgrade into elite rentals all the time but usually pass due to the issues mentioned above.

You don't want to risk financial ruin because you decided to take that free offer into a C8 Corvette at the airport.
Yea I declined in Germany and did high speed on autobahn.. In a convertible even, it occurred to me after my card didn't cover the car.. It further occurred to me if I wrecked the car.. Pretty good chance I'd have required life insurance not just car.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
2817 posts
2320 upvotes
does this work with the scotia amex?
Jul 18, 2019
63 posts
29 upvotes
rebel_rfd wrote: People need to be mindful that you usually have to take the CDW from the rental agency if you decide to rent luxury/sportscars.

Some Amex cards like the platinum have $85,000 in coverage. Really easy to check your card on the card description on the Amex website
Apr 30, 2009
684 posts
477 upvotes
GTA
EXECUTIVE ELITE
Status Expires Feb 28, 2022
Apr 2, 2018
441 posts
264 upvotes
Edmonton
pongster wrote: does this work with the scotia amex?
Yes it does just in Feb 2022
Koodo $35/5GB 3 lines, Bell $55/6GB, Public Mobile $10, Freedom Mobile $37.5/8GB, $37.5/5GB, $45/13GB, $45/13GB, Lucky Mobile $15
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18130 posts
2634 upvotes
Langley
It does overwrite your corp code, so if your corp code is better, then you have to manually change it each time you start a res. You can also send them an email asking them to change it back permanently.

I did it just by following the links, I didn't need to enter an Amex number anywhere. It might have already been saved to my National profile.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2005
3253 posts
293 upvotes
Toronto

Most Amex cards cover $85,000 CAD, it’s the Visa Infinite and MC WE cards that are still stuck at $65k for the most part.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18130 posts
2634 upvotes
Langley
And two full years... wow.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2016
1366 posts
1016 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
LegiT wrote: Most Amex cards cover $85,000 CAD, it’s the Visa Infinite and MC WE cards that are still stuck at $65k for the most part.
My Amex EveryDay card in the US covers up to $50k USD in damage. Vehicle can be valued MSRP at whatever. It also says I have to be a resident of the US. Then again renting in the US is a whole other can of worms with the issue of Liability and most states in which rental insurance isn’t primary and you agree to indemnify the rental agency for claims they pay.
Aug 27, 2007
209 posts
71 upvotes
Just created an account with my Platinum AMEX and received the Executive Elite status until February 28, 2022.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
1956 posts
1023 upvotes
North Vancouver
Well that was easy. Thanks OP!
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)