• Dec 22nd, 2020 11:59 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2355 posts
1131 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario

National Home Service - Reliance Comfort Rent To Own water tank

In 2011 I entered into a rent to own contract for a water tank wit National Home Service. A few years ago Reliance Comfort took over the contract.

The contract included payments that could be raised no more than 3.5% per year, lifetime service calls, and two preventative maintenance appointments. According to my records that means my next preventative maintenance appointment should be on 2021-04.

My question here is has anyone had problems with Reliance Comfort honoring these terms? Do they even have them on file? Should I start trying to hunt down the original paperwork that says it is rent to own, or can I depend on Reliance just honoring the contract? What happens if I cannot find the original paperwork? It has afterall been ten years. It is not in the file cabinet where I would expect to find it, so I probably pulled it out to take a look at sometime in the past, and proceeded to return it to the wrong file.
1 reply
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2355 posts
1131 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
I am guessing the rent-to-own is off the table. I checked both my wife and I remember it was 10 years rent-to-own. But the water heater itself has stamped on it, 15 year guarantee and maintenance plan. None of the many documents I have come across so far mention a contract period at all. And I see online people claim before National Home Service went out of business they were claiming to have changed the terms and conditions in 2013, but nobody seems to have received those conditions. One of the reasons National Home Service went out of business is they were fined heavily for illegal business practices.

Oh well, I was looking forward to having one less payment in 2021. Looks like though, Reliance does not charge any termination fees after ten years. So maybe I'll buy a tankless water heater from Home Depot in 2021, and get out of this rent the water heater game where everyone losses.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)