2019 Air Miles Shop The Block

National - SHELL RETAIL GASOLINE - 5 BAMs WUB a Minimum 25 Litres of any Grade Gas (Nov 14th thru Dec 27th)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2020 2:48 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 23, 2010
587 posts
524 upvotes
GTA
wra45mon wrote: Did they scan the coupon? It wasn't working when scanning yesterday.
Actually no, they didn't scan it. I pulled out the coupon and said "Shop The Block coupon" and they punched something in the computer instead.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2617 posts
1333 upvotes
j831 wrote: Actually no, they didn't scan it. I pulled out the coupon and said "Shop The Block coupon" and they punched something in the computer instead.
Not for this offer, but for the spend $10 in-store, the cashier told me that the scanning was not working for several days and so entered the code manually. Having a fair bit of background in technology and software, I was suspicious that one input method would work and not the other, but the promo code did indeed appear on the receipt. In any case, just keep the receipt and you should be OK even if the transaction does not post as expected.
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2015
1322 posts
405 upvotes
magoot wrote: There's also an alternative method for the cashier to enter Promo:
"Scan coupon OR for coupons presented on mobile devices, hit the “Enter UPC/PLU” on the POS,
then enter 00 049 999 999 407 (numbers only, no spaces)"
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I have a number of local Air Miles Partners in my neighborhood that are fully versed in AM progs and Promos. Have never had a hassle.
I understand there is a manual way. Unfortunately not all people working at shell will do what you ask of them.
By the time you go in to pay and they refuse to enter it manually it's too late. You have to wait till the next refill.

I just wanted to know if they fixed the scan problem yet.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2617 posts
1333 upvotes
wra45mon wrote: I understand there is a manual way. Unfortunately not all people working at shell will do what you ask of them.
By the time you go in to pay and they refuse to enter it manually it's too late. You have to wait till the next refill.

I just wanted to know if they fixed the scan problem yet.
Just go in the store before you fill up and ask. If the cashier is not sure, just tell him that you are not going to pump more than the minimum to get you to the next Shell station.
May 17, 2010
292 posts
263 upvotes
ottawa, ontario
Filled up on second day of the promotion. AM posted over night. Cleary states STB fuel offers 5 BAM.
Paid inside, clerk punched in code, did not scan coupon. Receipt did showed shop the block promotion code 940.
Also used coupon that Sobey's gives when you buy groceries for $0.07 off a litre. Win Win.
Mar 7, 2009
307 posts
1345 upvotes
Clarington
akaManny wrote: Not for this offer, but for the spend $10 in-store, the cashier told me that the scanning was not working for several days and so entered the code manually. Having a fair bit of background in technology and software, I was suspicious that one input method would work and not the other, but the promo code did indeed appear on the receipt. In any case, just keep the receipt and you should be OK even if the transaction does not post as expected.
The Cashier is probably correct. I had issues with the Spend $10 coupon when I tried it a few days ago. It was scanned but my receipt said Promo 940 with no mention of STB and I did not get the miles.

Yesterday I went back and the Cashier tried again. Immediately Promo 940 popped up on the register. So he voided/cancelled that; entered the bar code manually and Promo 939 came up instead. This time my receipt shows Promo 939; mentions STB and I have the correct number of air miles! He did it that way twice (two different air mile cards) for me.
Jun 12, 2017
14 posts
5 upvotes
The cashier told me that the coupon does not work and instead scanned something printed on a sheet of paper, but it worked the bonus miles are on the receipt and are already in my account.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2013
2617 posts
1333 upvotes
Volant wrote: Can anyone confirm how Air Miles Shop The Block works. Does this Shell offer count as 1/7 when I do it or does that only apply to offers that explicitly have the SHOP THE BLOCK purple sticker above them in the app?
Shell counts if you use one of the 2 offer coupons, even if it does not show up in the app. You can start by reading the main thread or
c-ae-start-here-shop-block-2019-event-i ... n-2328696/

The complete source of offers is not the app nor the various printed booklets, but the following:
https://shoptheblock.ca/en/partner_offers
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2016
1238 posts
979 upvotes
Halifax
First STB offer posted!
Images
  • image.jpg
Last edited by rdiamond1 on Nov 21st, 2019 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fan of RFD
Jul 21, 2007
689 posts
271 upvotes
Winnipeg
I opted in for the pay-at-the-pump offer online with my AM card, did not get the 5 bonus AM

Next time will use the coupon in-store
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2014
5059 posts
2683 upvotes
I printed the coupons on the first date and printed them now again and they were clearly different (both bars and digits). The coupons I picked up at the Shell station were the same as the printed ones on the first date. Apparently they changed them both on the website so I will try it out tomorrow. I also opted in so scan it in store is just a test to see if the new coupon shows on the receipt correctly

Update: I used the new printed coupons, both scanned correctly and the right codes also printed on both receipts with shop the block bonus miles mentioned
Last edited by mkl38s on Nov 19th, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 31, 2008
402 posts
351 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
kiiaal wrote: If you didn’t swipe your AM card at the pump, then how will they know it’s your AM account that’s tied to the transaction and not someone else’s?

Also, last year, I read there were a lot of problems with opting in on-line. It was better if you had paid inside and have the STB coupon scanned by the CSR. Don’t know if it’s better this year. I won’t chance it. Too much headache chasing AMs later.
masalma wrote: Opted in, used the app to prepay at the pump and didn't get a single air mile Crying Face
silverjelly wrote: I opted in for the pay-at-the-pump offer online with my AM card, did not get the 5 bonus AM

Next time will use the coupon in-store
The BAMs for opting in online don't show on the receipt, and last year they only got posted towards the end all at once. I think something similar happened for Mega Miles earlier this year. You may want to use the coupon just for peace of mind, but everything eventually worked out OK in the past AFAIK.

@PointsHubby You may want to add this info to the second post.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2740 posts
2339 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I did the Opt-In, it is really sucks because there is no way you can tell your registration actually done, no confirmation, nothing
When you fill up, nothing show in receipt.

If Shell play the game: you never register, it will be my word vs their word
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Jul 27, 2016
890 posts
941 upvotes
Kanata
cheapshopper wrote: I did the Opt-In, it is really sucks because there is no way you can tell your registration actually done, no confirmation, nothing
When you fill up, nothing show in receipt.

If Shell play the game: you never register, it will be my word vs their word
If you try to opt-in a second time, you get the message "YOU’VE ALREADY OPTED IN!".

Just take a screenshot and save it as proof you opted in. Then of course also save your gas receipt until you get your STB Big Bonus BAM's.

These two things will be sufficient proof should you need to contact AM for missing miles.
Jun 22, 2006
72 posts
11 upvotes
I agree it's stupid they don't give any good confirmation that your opt-in worked, like on the receipt. However, that's how I did it last time. I think the Mega Miles in the spring. I had no issues. For what its worth!

It's always a bit frustrating with the BMO offers as well, even more so this year with it being a minimum spend at certain retailers, not just a transaction number. And an opt in there too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)