• Apr 9th, 2019 9:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4485 posts
1366 upvotes

Natural gas line for BBQ - Maintenance

Hi all,

I have a NG line outside the house that we never used since we moved in a few years ago. Now I'm contemplating purchasing a NG BBQ set since the old propane one is dead.
Is there any maintenance that needs to be done on the pipe and connector of the gas line outside? I see there are some spider webs inside the connector. Can I blow compressed air to clean it?

I'm all new to NG BBQ and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5681 posts
3432 upvotes
Very little maintenance needed. Pant any metal pipes to prevent corrossion. Keep the end plugged with rubbed end cap when not in use or when disconnected to ensure no spiders get in. Shut off the gas when not needed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4485 posts
1366 upvotes
fdl wrote: Very little maintenance needed. Pant any metal pipes to prevent corrossion. Keep the end plugged with rubbed end cap when not in use or when disconnected to ensure no spiders get in. Shut off the gas when not needed.
Thanks for the tips. Do you disconnect the hose after each use or do you do so only for the winter season?
Also, will compressed air blown in the connector to remove dirt damage it?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5681 posts
3432 upvotes
Totoriko wrote: Thanks for the tips. Do you disconnect the hose after each use or do you do so only for the winter season?
Also, will compressed air blown in the connector to remove dirt damage it?
I used to disconnect after every use , which was a little too ocd. Now I keep it connected and then disconnect in the winter, only because I don’t grill in the winter. If I did I would leave it connected in the winter too.

As for the debris, compressed air should be fine. Or maybe a vacuum.
May 28, 2007
412 posts
154 upvotes
Peterborough
We use ours all year so have never disconnected. This is our third house with NG. As stated, turn gas off before bbq.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2002
1815 posts
195 upvotes
Toronto
Leave mine connected year round.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4343 posts
3111 upvotes
I left mine connected this winter -I BBQ a couple times this winter...fortunately my BBQ is under a covered deck
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9978 posts
5253 upvotes
Paris
Mine has been connected since 2008 and on for probably 7 of those years.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2005
3769 posts
276 upvotes
Curioprop wrote: We use ours all year so have never disconnected. This is our third house with NG. As stated, turn gas off before bbq.
I leave mine on all year round as well. When I had it hooked it, I was told (by the HVAC tech) to turn off the bbq first, then turn off the valve for the gas.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10263 posts
2828 upvotes
I have used mine at least 1000 times over the last 10 years and have never cleaned it or unhooked it, nor painted it, nothing.
Dec 18, 2017
227 posts
123 upvotes
GVA
I leave mine connected but I shut off the valve at the wall in case the line or burner has a leak.