Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 12, 2004
865 posts
1 upvote

Natural gas options in Edmonton - Need advice

Hi guys,

I'm relocating to St. Albert (just outside Edmonton) and will be renting a home. I need to setup natural gas and wondering who you all recommend? The current owners have direct energy but I hear mixed things. I've also been told atco and other companies are available.

Any recommendations and reasons for your choice?

Thanks!
4 replies
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10706 posts
3367 upvotes
I use enmax, they have some nice promos from time to time, they even have a year of free power not long ago.

the main players are direct energy, EPCOR and enmax for your utilities.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1095 posts
13 upvotes
Last i heard on the radio, direct energy forget to send people bills then a few months later they got multiple bills with late fee charges on their latest bill. People complain but they still do that. I am with Enmax and it is owned by City of Calgary so far, no issue with them. They also have some rebate monthly so i recommend Enmax.
Heard a lot of horror stories with direct energy so I stay far from them personally.
Free from Telus! No more contract!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18123 posts
9192 upvotes
My recommendation is not to lock yourself into a contract - the rate for natural gas is extremely low in Alberta, even in the winter. Below is a website from the province of Alberta to help make your decision:
http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca/gas-market.aspx

The latest "catch" in the plans being offered is that they charge a $1 (or more) fee on each gigajoule you use. So the rate looks low, but is actually higher.