Sports & Recreation

NBA 2022/23: Let the KD Saga begin

Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12805 posts
3477 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Wow Shai! Game winning 3 pointer buzzer beater for the 1 point win. Against the mighty Clippers too!

https://ca.nba.com/videos/shai-gilgeous ... 1639734224

Redemption for his last game. He made 4 good plays in the last few seconds.

1. Got a quick 2 to cut it to 2 points.
2. Fouled Winslow who's a terrible free throw shooter (and he missed both).
3. Crashed the board from the 3 point line to get the rebound and called the quick timeout.
4. Casually hits the step back 3 for the win.

Absolute superstar moment.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: Do the Chicago Bulls have what it takes to make it to the finals for the first time since the legendary Michael Jordan days?
They’re solid #2 in the east right now.

They kinda got their mini big 3 right now. Derozen, LaVine, Vučević if all healthy and get on a playoff roll… they might do it!
I'd love to see Derozan win a ring with the Bulls!
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
UrbanPoet wrote: Do the Chicago Bulls have what it takes to make it to the finals for the first time since the legendary Michael Jordan days?
They’re solid #2 in the east right now.

They kinda got their mini big 3 right now. Derozen, LaVine, Vučević if all healthy and get on a playoff roll… they might do it!
joeyjoejoe wrote: Redemption for his last game. He made 4 good plays in the last few seconds.

1. Got a quick 2 to cut it to 2 points.
2. Fouled Winslow who's a terrible free throw shooter (and he missed both).
3. Crashed the board from the 3 point line to get the rebound and called the quick timeout.
4. Casually hits the step back 3 for the win.

Absolute superstar moment.
Shai had his heroics in the Pelicans game @joeyjoejoe posted the other day. It was just that the Pelicans made that final improbable shot. Nothing he could have really done. Soon to be superstar though I think. He grew leaps and bounds learning from Chris Paul.

That's why it was an interesting conversation in the offseason when OKC had offered Shai and #6 pick for Detroit's #1.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2007
2614 posts
807 upvotes
Woodbridge
Lakers/Bulls was fun with DeRozan having monster 4th quarter. He was even getting MVP chants at the line.

DeRozan got his revenge on Lebron after those years of getting embarrassed in the playoffs by sweeping the season series.

Lakers going to be lucky even getting a playoff spot, such an underachieving team.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
sg2386 wrote: Lakers/Bulls was fun with DeRozan having monster 4th quarter. He was even getting MVP chants at the line.

DeRozan got his revenge on Lebron after those years of getting embarrassed in the playoffs by sweeping the season series.

Lakers going to be lucky even getting a playoff spot, such an underachieving team.
It's nice to see, but revenge would be a playoff series win against LeBron. Regular season doesn't mean much. Bottom line was, his teams owned everyone in the East, when he was in the East.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
kenchau wrote: It's nice to see, but revenge would be a playoff series win against LeBron. Regular season doesn't mean much. Bottom line was, his teams owned everyone in the East, when he was in the East.
As much as I like Derozan as a person, and even a player for the most part, im not one really cheering for him to win. He stunk it up SOOOO bad in the playoffs for the Raptors, especially for the first 3 playoff years. He had the WORST FG% in NBA history through like 20 playoff games and stayed that way till over 30 games until it got a bit better.

Same can be said for Kadri. Fan of the player and even the person but after getting all those suspensions in the playoffs, he needed to go and I would not want him to win anything
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
sg2386 wrote: Lakers/Bulls was fun with DeRozan having monster 4th quarter. He was even getting MVP chants at the line.

kenchau wrote: It's nice to see, but revenge would be a playoff series win against LeBron. Regular season doesn't mean much. Bottom line was, his teams owned everyone in the East, when he was in the East.
grappos13 wrote: As much as I like Derozan as a person, and even a player for the most part, im not one really cheering for him to win. He stunk it up SOOOO bad in the playoffs for the Raptors, especially for the first 3 playoff years. He had the WORST FG% in NBA history through like 20 playoff games and stayed that way till over 30 games until it got a bit better.

Same can be said for Kadri. Fan of the player and even the person but after getting all those suspensions in the playoffs, he needed to go and I would not want him to win anything
Perhaps all those failures have led him to grow? There are many NBA players who were late bloomers @ developing certain aspects of their game.
Maybe we might be seeing a more clutch version of Derozen.

"”There's a calmness to him," Bulls head coach Billy Donovan said of DeRozan postgame. "He doesn't get rattled."”

https://ca.nba.com/news/demar-derozan-b ... jcbzpeoxzd

We just have to wait until the playoffs to see if he is the same way when it really matters!
Deal Guru
Mar 20, 2009
10166 posts
8293 upvotes
Toronto
grappos13 wrote: As much as I like Derozan as a person, and even a player for the most part, im not one really cheering for him to win. He stunk it up SOOOO bad in the playoffs for the Raptors, especially for the first 3 playoff years. He had the WORST FG% in NBA history through like 20 playoff games and stayed that way till over 30 games until it got a bit better.

I agree about Kadri, but don't equate DeRozan with the same scrutiny. He obviously didn't get things done, but it's not like he constantly fouled out or got suspended because of his play. I'd love to see DeRozan do well during postseason. The weight of being known as a choker must be terrible.
"When someone is burning a book, they are showing utter contempt for all of the thinking that produced its ideas, all of the labor that went into its words and sentences, and all of the trouble that befell the author . . .” ― Lemony Snicket
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
shikotee wrote: I agree about Kadri, but don't equate DeRozan with the same scrutiny. He obviously didn't get things done, but it's not like he constantly fouled out or got suspended because of his play. I'd love to see DeRozan do well during postseason. The weight of being known as a choker must be terrible.
Old article. But theres some examples of chokers who became great.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/115 ... bron-james

Wow… it looks like Legendary NBA champion Dirk Nowitzki has an ultimate choke. Leading his teAm to #1 seed in the West.
Then losing first round playoffs in horrible fashion… where he scored 8 points in the elimination game.

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-dirk ... retiremen/
Deal Fanatic
Aug 31, 2017
5182 posts
3058 upvotes

Man let it go...... we won a championship lol
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
shikotee wrote: I agree about Kadri, but don't equate DeRozan with the same scrutiny. He obviously didn't get things done, but it's not like he constantly fouled out or got suspended because of his play. I'd love to see DeRozan do well during postseason. The weight of being known as a choker must be terrible.
I hope DeRozan turns out like a David Price.

DP finally delivered the goods in the 2018 World Series with 2 starts/wins and one relief/hold appearance in five games for the Red Sox to win the championship. Great guy/teammate finally able to get it done and earn a ring.

This Bulls team has a chance to do some damage. Hopefully, the season does not come to an abrupt end.
Deal Guru
Apr 11, 2006
12388 posts
6570 upvotes
Vaughan
Some more DeRozan stats for this season.

Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7904 upvotes
Global Village
kenchau wrote: I hope DeRozan turns out like a David Price.

DP finally delivered the goods in the 2018 World Series with 2 starts/wins and one relief/hold appearance in five games for the Red Sox to win the championship. Great guy/teammate finally able to get it done and earn a ring.

This Bulls team has a chance to do some damage. Hopefully, the season does not come to an abrupt end.
Demar will be doubled consistently in the playoffs, it will be up to Lavine, Vucevic, Ball to make the open shots available. They are going to be interesting to watch for trades/buyout buyers, they need a big who can guard in case they have to face Embiid, Bam.
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
NEVER!! Lol jk

I just meant more that i am not actively cheering for him specifically vs others. If he wins a championship that would be fine for him. But im not gonna sit here and cheer specifically for him because he was a former fan favourite raptor. He just couldnt get it done here for soo long.
Banned
Apr 24, 2018
738 posts
38 upvotes
grappos13 wrote: NEVER!! Lol jk

I just meant more that i am not actively cheering for him specifically vs others. If he wins a championship that would be fine for him. But im not gonna sit here and cheer specifically for him because he was a former fan favourite raptor. He just couldnt get it done here for soo long.
it's unfair to put it on Derozan. he didn't have guys like VanVleet hitting ridiculous clutch shots in crunch time. he didn't have Nick Nurse, but instead had Casey who might be the worst coach ever in nba history. Lowry didn't play anywhere near as well back then.

Derozan has proven he's a top talent in this league. his mid range and footwork is among the elite. defensively, he's not the greatest, but neither are guys like Curry and Steve Nash. and has Lebron played any defense in the last 5 years?
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
airpods wrote: it's unfair to put it on Derozan. he didn't have guys like VanVleet hitting ridiculous clutch shots in crunch time. he didn't have Nick Nurse, but instead had Casey who might be the worst coach ever in nba history. Lowry didn't play anywhere near as well back then.

Derozan has proven he's a top talent in this league. his mid range and footwork is among the elite. defensively, he's not the greatest, but neither are guys like Curry and Steve Nash. and has Lebron played any defense in the last 5 years?
Remember that in the NBA, u really need to be a TOP TOP talent to win a title. Yes the role players can be huge, but really you need a top 5 player in the NBA to win a championship (or top 10 at most). Few teams ever have won without that (2004 pistons and maybe the 2013 spurs might not have had a top 10 player). I do not consider Derozan a TOP talent. I guess it depends on what a top talent is. Dont get me wrong, he is having an awesome year but Is he gonna make an all NBA team? Maybe? He only made it once. So only once he was a top 15 player in the NBA. Otherwise he is not a top talent.

Yes, Lowry wasnt as good (he was sucking too during most of those playoffs, not as much as DDR tho). But if you are a TOP talent, you need to show it when it matters, in the playoffs. U cant be shooting 39% FG in your first 30 playoff games and be a top talent, u just cant be. U CAN grow into it and maybe he final has this year at age 32
Banned
Apr 24, 2018
738 posts
38 upvotes
grappos13 wrote: Remember that in the NBA, u really need to be a TOP TOP talent to win a title. Yes the role players can be huge, but really you need a top 5 player in the NBA to win a championship (or top 10 at most). Few teams ever have won without that (2004 pistons and maybe the 2013 spurs might not have had a top 10 player). I do not consider Derozan a TOP talent. I guess it depends on what a top talent is. Dont get me wrong, he is having an awesome year but Is he gonna make an all NBA team? Maybe? He only made it once. So only once he was a top 15 player in the NBA. Otherwise he is not a top talent.

Yes, Lowry wasnt as good (he was sucking too during most of those playoffs, not as much as DDR tho). But if you are a TOP talent, you need to show it when it matters, in the playoffs. U cant be shooting 39% FG in your first 30 playoff games and be a top talent, u just cant be. U CAN grow into it and maybe he final has this year at age 32
don't forget the Dirk Mavs.

all fair points. i don't think anyone ever thought we'd win, even when we got Kawhi.

with DeRozan, we could have done better with Nurse. Casey made a lot of questionable moves in the playoffs.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)