Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
NBA Black Friday

50% OFF NBA League Pass until Nov 29 5pm EST

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2023 2:30 pm
Oct 20, 2022
484 posts
1003 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
I've signed up for a LP trial a couple weeks ago. I like its streaming quality. Doesn't buffer and its picture quality hardly ever deteriorates during the stream. What annoys me a little is that sometimes it takes a few attempts for it to start a stream successfully (For some reason, I was experiencing similar issue when using MLB Pass earlier this year). IMO once it starts streaming, its quality beats both SN and TSN app in terms of consistent streaming resolution. Everyone's experience might vary but from my own experience, TSN app is the worst at maintaining even a fair resolution.

So I am quite interested in the deal. Someone in the thread mentions that it covers playoffs, but does it cover blackout playoff games? TIA.
Deal Guru
Aug 5, 2006
10746 posts
7905 upvotes
Global Village
ShufromChina123 wrote: I've signed up for a LP trial a couple weeks ago. I like its streaming quality. Doesn't buffer and its picture quality hardly ever deteriorates during the stream. What annoys me a little is that sometimes it takes a few attempts for it to start a stream successfully (For some reason, I was experiencing similar issue when using MLB Pass earlier this year). IMO once it starts streaming, its quality beats both SN and TSN app in terms of consistent streaming resolution. Everyone's experience might vary but from my own experience, TSN app is the worst at maintaining even a fair resolution.

So I am quite interested in the deal. Someone in the thread mentions that it covers playoffs, but does it cover blackout playoff games? TIA.
If you are not using a VPN blackout playoff games will only be available to watch on the app after they finish.
TSN just launched their app for the Fire TV and I agree with you, games don't look as sharp on it as games do on the NBA app, maybe the TSN app only shows games in 1080p while NBA app shows them in 4K?
All day I dream about sports

Tangerine, Meridian, EQ Bank, Simplii, CIBC Investor's Edge
Jan 26, 2021
113 posts
320 upvotes
Last season I got it from India for around $20. I was using TunnelBear free, just need to log in and start the game, after that you can turn off the VPN. But TunnelBear shut down their India servers that's why I got Surfshark VPN subscription which is working fine also but my league pass subscription has expired almost 3 weeks ago. I'm gonna renew it from India again. No blackout and cheaper option.

It covers play offs btw.
Oct 20, 2022
484 posts
1003 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
scoper wrote: If you are not using a VPN blackout playoff games will only be available to watch on the app after they finish.
TSN just launched their app for the Fire TV and I agree with you, games don't look as sharp on it as games do on the NBA app, maybe the TSN app only shows games in 1080p while NBA app shows them in 4K?
OK I see. Thanks.

In terms of the resolution, it's really a mystery for me. Did a little research and it says that the NBA app streams majority of the games in 1080p. As long as it keeps this resolution and doesn't deteriorate in mid of stream, it would look sufficiently sharp if viewing from a proper distance. TSN, though, isn't explicit on their app's streaming resolution on their app (I know their cable channels do specify HD or SD and have separate channels for each). From my experience I'd say that even at their best streaming quality periods, the resolution sits between 720-1080p (it's definitely not 1080p-sharp). And I can't count on them to maintain that quality for very long before it deteriorates to horrible level.
Jul 16, 2013
209 posts
207 upvotes
Winnipeg
Yeah I just used an Indian vpn from surf shark (you can get a free 7 day trial through the apple App Store). Think I paid < $30 for it.

Works fine.
Mar 21, 2016
373 posts
213 upvotes
Yvr
AhmedK005 wrote: Yeah I just used an Indian vpn from surf shark (you can get a free 7 day trial through the apple App Store). Think I paid < $30 for it.

Works fine.
Is it working this season? I can’t get it working with Surfshark this season so far.
Apr 28, 2017
408 posts
522 upvotes
scoper wrote: Which device are you using to watch? I use a Fire TV Stick 4K, 1st turn on the VPN then open the NBA app, that simple.
I was using my Chromebook. I first opened and connect NordVPN, then tried to watch on the NBA site. Maybe I'll try it on my TV or phone tomorrow.
Jul 16, 2013
209 posts
207 upvotes
Winnipeg
Spurs10 wrote: Is it working this season? I can’t get it working with Surfshark this season so far.
Yeah I only tried once with my computer and had some issues. Was meaning to try it again. But the iPhone and iPad app work with some blackouts. If I want to watch on tv I’ve just casted my device. I can see tomorrow if the vpn on my computer works though and get back to you.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2017
1551 posts
2328 upvotes
nuxper wrote: Ya don’t get NBA League Pass. Get a proper IPTV service that not only provides NBA League Pass but also has those sports packages for every league and every sport, as well as 1000’s of other channels and PPV events like UFC. That’s the real game changer.
MirinGains wrote: Anyone with a recommendation on IPTV please DM me. Been thinking about getting IPTV for a while (mostly for sports) and can't find any legitimate or reliable advice on how to set this up or what provider to use.
Iptv is amazing value but you can't pause, forward or rewind games. Maybe with a fancier more expensive box you can but the one I have is mostly good for watching live stuff. Sure it can come on in a day or two on video on demand but that can be too long.
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2012
1939 posts
7339 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Unfortunately the offer doesn't work on League Pass Premium. I was hoping to split the subscription with someone, as you can have 2 concurrent streams.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
OGFree99 wrote: Unfortunately the offer doesn't work on League Pass Premium. I was hoping to split the subscription with someone, as you can have 2 concurrent streams.
Casting it on Chromecast doesn't count as a stream. I've left someone's house and the game was still on there and I cast it again when I got to my place. Streamed on both devices just fine.
Sep 25, 2009
513 posts
400 upvotes
Does League pass cover playoff games of other teams?

quick google has conflicting answers.
Sep 25, 2009
513 posts
400 upvotes
Does League pass cover playoff games of other teams?

Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2008
9545 posts
960 upvotes
light2 wrote: Does League pass cover playoff games of other teams?

It's all games and all broadcasts pretty much (with VPN)
Apr 26, 2007
504 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
light2 wrote: Does League pass cover playoff games of other teams?

The way it actually works (without VPN) is that the games *NOT* on TV in Canada are available. I think some additional games may even be unavailable if they can be streamed through the TSN or Sportsnet app.

The NBA League Pass experience isn't that many games, unfortunately, as TSN and Sportsnet get the NBA's entire national TV schedule (along with quite a few that end up on NBA TV, too.)

*edit because this was the answer to the question* And that means zero Raptors games, zero playoff games.
Jul 15, 2017
54 posts
62 upvotes
Even with 50% off, this is not worth it. The service is blacked out for nationally televised games and games that your local cable provider is carrying (Raptors for most people here).

I signed up for a trial and was only able to consistently watch Pistons, Pacers, Kings, Wizards, Spurs games. Now if you are a real hardcore basketball fan and watching those games over and over again sounds exciting to you, then I'd highly suggest this deal.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2008
1753 posts
1902 upvotes
For anyone doing this deal, VPN into cheaper countries and look for cheaper prices. I bought mine at the beginning of the season from Turkey. It was like 35 for the entire season. I can't imagine how cheap it's become now.

Other countries to check would be Argentina. Their currency has also plummeted.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2009
1769 posts
2061 upvotes
Toronto
NBA League Pass even at $9.99 is not worth it imo due to Raptor games and any big games live blackouts Face With Rolling Eyes