• Sep 29th, 2020 1:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 7, 2013
694 posts
157 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area

NBA2k21 Cross Gen?

So I've pre-ordered the PS5 for my son and had plans of buying the PS5 version of NBA2k21 but all of his friends have the PS4. Would I be better off buying the Mamba PS4 edition of the game? I'm assuming this game would work on the PS5 and it technically should allow him to play with his buddies while also providing him the option of a free upgrade to the PS5 version if he chose?
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
8568 posts
2959 upvotes
Only the Kobe Bryant (RIP) Mamba Edition on PS5 also comes with a DLC voucher to redeem the PS4 version of the game.
The PS5 version claims to have next-gen graphics and 2 second load times.

If you buy the PS4 version you get an upgrade to the PS5 version only if you have the more expensive Kobe Bryant edition.
The version that sells for $119.99 on both PS4 and PS5.

If you are planning on getting the PS5, the PS5 version makes more sense to get.

[OP]
Aug 7, 2013
694 posts
157 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
So if my son buys the PS5 version (Mamba Edition), will he be able to play the PS4 version for free since most of his friends will still be on PS4? He wants to play with his buddies and most aren't upgrading right away and already have NBA2k21. Also, what implications should I be aware of from a career play standpoint?
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2466 posts
2640 upvotes
GTA
Kkhan15 wrote: Wow, what a horrible move. You’d think PS4/PS5 would have crossplay at least.
It never happened on PS3-PS4 either. Not sure if its a choice or limitation tbh. I'm not sure, can Xbox games play cross platform?
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2049 posts
2635 upvotes
Windsor
BernardRyder wrote: It never happened on PS3-PS4 either. Not sure if its a choice or limitation tbh. I'm not sure, can Xbox games play cross platform?
World of Tanks. The crossplay between xbox360 and xbox one was supported for 5 years until Wargaming finally dropped it 2 months ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 21, 2013
4416 posts
1380 upvotes
Toronto
BernardRyder wrote: It never happened on PS3-PS4 either. Not sure if its a choice or limitation tbh. I'm not sure, can Xbox games play cross platform?
I think a lot of that had to do with the unique system architecture of the PS3... while the PS4 went with a more traditional PC-like x-86 architecture.

IIRC Xboxes have always been basically PC components in a console box, so that's why it's been easier for them to do things like backwards compatibility and cross-platform saves, and even cross play between XBox and PC mid-generation (Gears of War 4 had it, as did Forza Horizon 3 I think). Although a lot of it also has to do with the developers developing for crossplay, and at the start of this gen, I don't think that was really a priority. For the longest time, Sony was resistant to allowing cross-platform play until Fortnite got really big, I believe...
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2466 posts
2640 upvotes
GTA
M1GOmigs wrote: I think a lot of that had to do with the unique system architecture of the PS3... while the PS4 went with a more traditional PC-like x-86 architecture.

IIRC Xboxes have always been basically PC components in a console box, so that's why it's been easier for them to do things like backwards compatibility and cross-platform saves, and even cross play between XBox and PC mid-generation (Gears of War 4 had it, as did Forza Horizon 3 I think). Although a lot of it also has to do with the developers developing for crossplay, and at the start of this gen, I don't think that was really a priority. For the longest time, Sony was resistant to allowing cross-platform play until Fortnite got really big, I believe...
Yeah I sort of assumed crossplay didn't happen from the PS3 to PS4 because of the hardware. And yeah Sony is/was resistant to cross platform until the Fortnite thing. It even worked for Rocket League for a hot minute until they fixed that real good. Funny how Sony, and maybe consoles in general, get along a lot better with Epic than Apple. But Apple isn't really in the business of gaming, so go figure.
Guess we'll see if the game is crossplay for any console, or if it's just a Sony thing.
c'mon get happy!
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1678 posts
894 upvotes
Durham
Interesting, never realized that. It will be interesting to see. I know my close friend spoils his boys and they are getting a PS5 and have the Kobe 2K21. They play a lot online so hopefully their friends don’t miss out on playing each other online