Entertainment

NBC fires Matt Lauer longtime Today Show anchor for "inappropriate sexual behaviour"

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2017 2:26 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
12293 posts
4184 upvotes
Toronto

NBC fires Matt Lauer longtime Today Show anchor for "inappropriate sexual behaviour"

Many have suffered consequences but Lauer is the one of the bigger names

One complaint in over 20 years so maybe he copped to it when confronted but apparently his contract was up for renewal anyway

The Today Show becomes its own story

https://www.today.com/video/matt-lauer- ... 5840707690

NBC News boss Andy Lack issued a statement

Dear Colleagues,

On Monday night, we received a detailed complaint from a colleague about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace by Matt Lauer. It represented, after serious review, a clear violation of our company’s standards. As a result, we’ve decided to terminate his employment. While it is the first complaint about his behavior in the over twenty years he’s been at NBC News, we were also presented with reason to believe this may not have been an isolated incident.

Our highest priority is to create a workplace environment where everyone feels safe and protected, and to ensure that any actions that run counter to our core values are met with consequences, no matter who the offender.

We are deeply saddened by this turn of events. But we will face it together as a news organization – and do it in as transparent a manner as we can. To that end, Noah and I will be meeting with as many of you as possible throughout the day today to answer your questions.

Andy
19 replies
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
957 upvotes
YK
Nice revenge for Anne Curry, his former cohost. Maybe she can get her old job back.

Don't think this is only isolated. Remember Natalie Morales left the show to work on the west coast, after rumors of an affair with Matt.

He had a huge salary.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2011
9478 posts
2005 upvotes
Somewhere
counting down until the time when all the entertainment industry will be all female
:confused:
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15195 posts
4880 upvotes
Here 'n There
I've been watching the Today Show now for over 20 years and ever since Matt Lauer was one of the hosts. I always thought he was a respectful stand-up guy and never imagined he'd be one to engage in sexual harrassment although I did read a story in the National Enquirer (which I download from the library not buy!) once that said he cheated on his wife.

Now Variety has come up with an in-depth story about the many women who have accused him. Some of it is horrifying!

Matt Lauer Accused of Sexual Harassment by Multiple Women (EXCLUSIVE)
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4925 posts
510 upvotes
Victoria
Not surprising at all. Google Matt Lauer winter olympics 2010
Not a political sig
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2006
3153 posts
208 upvotes
dealguy2 wrote: Not surprising at all. Google Matt Lauer winter olympics 2010
agree.

Matt should have listened to what he said. Listen after 1.20 till 3.00
What a hypocrite. May be he smiling in his mind and thinking "Gosh I can ge away will sexting and bad behavier why this guy cant?"
“There are some things money can’t buy, and for everything else there’s MasterCard. Well, get out your checkbooks ladies and gentlemen, because it seems like the entire liberal cabinet can be bought. TRUDEAU: I CAN’T BE BOUGHT...LMAO. Because its 2017
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
849 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
And another one bites the dust. I'm not familiar with this guy, I've heard his name, but this is getting pretty repetitive. Time to move on to more interesting news.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12948 posts
2119 upvotes
City of Vancouver
dealguy2 wrote: Not surprising at all. Google Matt Lauer winter olympics 2010
Thanks, never heard about the divorce.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Deal Addict
Feb 3, 2011
2855 posts
754 upvotes
What are the odds that we make it to next week without another celebrity being taken down by sexual allegations?
Baaaaaaaaa!
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
24490 posts
3038 upvotes
Montreal
His office door locks automatically by pressing a button under his desk Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes

Pervert alert!
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
12293 posts
4184 upvotes
Toronto
Matt Lauer has broken his silence and issued a statement

There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions,
To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry.
As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.
Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.
Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort.
It is now my full time job.
The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling.
I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love.
I thank them for their patience and grace.

I give the guy credit (like Louis CK) for mostly owning up and not passing it off as locker room talk nor inartful courtship
Penalty Box
Aug 20, 2012
13188 posts
2534 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
eonibm wrote: I've been watching the Today Show now for over 20 years and ever since Matt Lauer was one of the hosts. I always thought he was a respectful stand-up guy and never imagined he'd be one to engage in sexual harrassment although I did read a story in the National Enquirer (which I download from the library not buy!) once that said he cheated on his wife.

Now Variety has come up with an in-depth story about the many women who have accused him. Some of it is horrifying!

Matt Lauer Accused of Sexual Harassment by Multiple Women (EXCLUSIVE)
The wife Annette isnt bad looking at all.. a former model herself.

If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
6865 posts
1722 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
jenviea wrote: Matt Lauer has broken his silence and issued a statement

There are no words to express my sorrow and regret for the pain I have caused others by words and actions,
To the people I have hurt, I am truly sorry.
As I am writing this I realize the depth of the damage and disappointment I have left behind at home and at NBC.
Some of what is being said about me is untrue or mischaracterized, but there is enough truth in these stories to make me feel embarrassed and ashamed. I regret that my shame is now shared by the people I cherish dearly.
Repairing the damage will take a lot of time and soul searching and I'm committed to beginning that effort.
It is now my full time job.
The last two days have forced me to take a very hard look at my own troubling flaws. It's been humbling.
I am blessed to be surrounded by the people I love.
I thank them for their patience and grace.

I give the guy credit (like Louis CK) for mostly owning up and not passing it off as locker room talk nor inartful courtship
There should be a templated response to all of these big names biting the dust.
I'm sorry. I have problems. I hurt people. I need help. Thanks for your support. Blah blah blah.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21113 posts
2474 upvotes
Toronto
newt_101 wrote: There should be a templated response to all of these big names biting the dust.
I'm sorry. I have problems. I hurt people. I need help. Thanks for your support. Blah blah blah.
+2...not much of an "apology" imo....
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
11841 posts
2029 upvotes
Mississauga
ji2o0k wrote: +2...not much of an "apology" imo....
Guys like Lauer are just sorry they got caught.