Computers & Electronics

GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Ed. Preorders are up!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2016 7:30 pm
168 replies
Sep 13, 2009
25 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
They all come in at $909!
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
574 upvotes
im confused at ref cards.

if they are all identical, does it matter who you buy from beside warranty?
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
edsyl wrote: They all come in at $909!
That's actually exactly the conversion from $699USD to CAD is, $904USD, so they aren't ripping us off or betting against the weak CAD dollar. Not saying it's a bad deal (which it probably isn't even warm anymore at that price), but definitely not hot.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1285 posts
795 upvotes
cfanalyst wrote: im confused at ref cards.

Exactly it, the warranty.
Jan 6, 2010
595 posts
749 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I still can't wrap my head around it. The Founders Edition cards are 100 USD more expensive than the "stock", yet they use the reference coolers. Am I missing something?

When is the actual reference card hitting shelves?
Aug 23, 2013
234 posts
133 upvotes
MONTR
Same prices and they are the same cards except for stickers, I would pick ASUS for their warranty..
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2088 posts
1511 upvotes
Toronto
Right now, US$1.00 = CA$1.30, so sadly, that makes sense considering the US$699 MSRP they announced for the Referenc- I mean, "Founder's Editions". I'm curious how long until the non-reference designs begin to be sold (since they're supposed to be US$100 cheaper and should see some additional performance over the reference design.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1682 posts
881 upvotes
Montreal
cfanalyst wrote: im confused at ref cards.

Nope, just buy the cheapest one with fastest delivery
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2011
1682 posts
881 upvotes
Montreal
Nope, the Gigabyte is close to $980 and the PNY is $926.50 so avoid those two
Aug 23, 2013
234 posts
133 upvotes
MONTR
Deriot wrote: I still can't wrap my head around it. The Founders Edition cards are 100 USD more expensive than the "stock", yet they use the reference coolers. Am I missing something?

Non-reference enhanced edition will be higher than $699, at least for the first few months, and then cost-down edition might be release and drop to $599... In fact, $599 is the bottom line for 1080, dont let the propaganda fool you..
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3470 posts
728 upvotes
GTA
Whats the founders vs non founders difference?
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2015
2028 posts
2009 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Deriot wrote: I still can't wrap my head around it. The Founders Edition cards are 100 USD more expensive than the "stock", yet they use the reference coolers. Am I missing something?

Nvidia renamed reference cards to founders editions.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2088 posts
1511 upvotes
Toronto

They're basically charging an "early adopter" premium on the card. The "Founder's Edition" is the stock (reference) design. Once eVGA, Asus, etc. begin to issue the same card but with their own coolers, that's when you'll see the non-Founder's Edition cards (which will be US$100 cheaper) hit shelves. I can't imagine that the other companies will bungle the coolers so badly that it performs worse than the stock/reference design, but I guess there's nothing preventing that from being a possibility either. More than likely though, they'll be better cards with some amount of OC'ing given how low the TDP is on the reference design.

TL;DR, the only incentive to buy the card now is to have it early (i.e. now) as you are paying a premium for the base design. The non-reference designs will be cheaper and very likely better performing (as has historically been the case).
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2088 posts
1511 upvotes
Toronto

They're basically charging an "early adopter" premium on the card. The "Founder's Edition" is the stock (reference) design. Once eVGA, Asus, etc. begin to issue the same card but with their own coolers, that's when you'll see the non-Founder's Edition cards (which will be US$100 cheaper) hit shelves. I can't imagine that the other companies will bungle the coolers so badly that it performs worse than the stock/reference design, but I guess there's nothing preventing that from being a possibility either. More than likely though, they'll be better cards with some amount of OC'ing given how low the TDP is on the reference design.

TL;DR, the only incentive to buy the card now is to have it early (i.e. now) as you are paying a premium for the base design. The non-reference designs will be cheaper and very likely better performing (as has historically been the case).
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3470 posts
728 upvotes
GTA
700 usd comes out to 906 cad, but the tax destroys the price again
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1189 posts
439 upvotes
I'm gonna wait until the holiday season 2016 to get a 1070. Hoping the price will go down a bit and/or be a sale, AND hoping there will be another Nvidia bundle so I can get Tomb Raider Rises or AC Syndicate or something for free with it.
May 19, 2013
409 posts
4549 upvotes
Vaughan
Only reason to buy Founder's Edition 1080s is if you need it immediately and have cash to burn.

Better to wait for AiBs to come out with their cards with aftermarket coolers since they'll perform better (especially since the Founder's is bottlenecked by thermals), run cooler/quieter and probably also be cheaper or at least be the same price as Founder's.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2006
1905 posts
894 upvotes
GTA
Gotta hand it to Nvidia's marketing team.
"Founder's Edition" sounds so much cooler than it actually is.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)