• Jan 27th, 2015 10:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1540 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto

[NCIX] Sony Xperia Z Ultra Black/White $379.99 *warm*

Not everyone's cup of tea, but decent price for a ginormous phone/tiny tablet.
54 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
6564 posts
2638 upvotes
whiteGSR wrote: It was literally 359.99 or so at ncix the past few weeks, and currently 374.99 shipped + taxes at expansys

http://www.expansys.ca/sony-xperia-z-ul ... te-251964/
http://www.expansys.ca/sony-xperia-z-ul ... ck-251963/
http://www.expansys.ca/sony-xperia-z-ul ... le-251965/
Cheaper at expansys when you add it in your cart. It is $357.13 plus shipping and tax.
Jun 1, 2005
883 posts
221 upvotes
GVR
domo325 wrote: Cheaper at expansys when you add it in your cart. It is $357.13 plus shipping and tax.
yeah the 374.99 is their way of including the shipping costs already before you add to cart :)
Banned
Jan 6, 2015
152 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto, ON
whiteGSR wrote: yeah the 374.99 is their way of including the shipping costs already before you add to cart :) Image
so shipping is free?
Jun 1, 2005
883 posts
221 upvotes
GVR
no, they separate out shipping costs when you put in cart. So it will be $357.13 + shipping, which would make it to roughly $380. yeah not exact i guess, probably fluctuations in the CAD exchange rate...
Aug 18, 2006
151 posts
51 upvotes
Kitchener
As an owner of this phone (and tons of other flagships) for ~1 year, will throw in some feedback (as objective as possible) in case anyone is interested.

Pros:
* Incredibly easy bootloader unlock (and by extension, root).
* Decent (not fantastic like OPO, not abysmal like the mate 2) ROM support. We have stock roms, paranoid android and CM11 + CM12 (buggy).
* The hardware is fantastic, this is a high end smartphone no question. Super fast with minimal UI latency in both apps and games.
* The screen is bloody brilliant for watching media (I watch movies and TV shows on it doing elliptical/stepper at the gym).
* Water resistant (nice to have, even if you don't care about it).
* The dock (additional $15 accessory from amazon) makes it convenient for charging (since the the water resistant ability makes it annoying to access the micro usb).
* Great battery life (if you babysit android properly - this applies to any android phone).
* Really light and really thin, BUT still feels very rugged and firm.

Cons:
* I find this phone a tad bit large, and I really like huge phones. It's just slightly past a point that is comfortably manageable (for me, as a 20-something year old male who is not hipster and wears regular jeans with regular size pant pockets). I would say 6" @ 70-75% screen/body ratio is the largest comfortably manageable size (i.e. Nexus 6, Lumia 1520 - both of which I also have).
* Water resistant makes it annoying as heck to access the micro USB (and by extension, the sealing mechanism will rip off eventually - happened to me already and got it replaced via sony care).
* The camera blows. Seriously the camera really sucks. I've tried many different apps; adjusting settings and it simply is lacking. There is no flash which doesn't help its case. Don't buy this if you care about taking pictures with your smartphone.
* Somewhat awkward ergonomically compared to some of my other phones. Feels a little top heavy sometimes, like it is going to drop forward (you get used it, though).
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
10515 posts
1713 upvotes
This phone looks lovely on paper, shock to hear it has no flash. Can you really use a pencil with the touchscreen?
nayab9 wrote: As an owner of this phone (and tons of other flagships) for ~1 year, will throw in some feedback (as objective as possible) in case anyone is interested.

Pros:
* Incredibly easy bootloader unlock (and by extension, root).
* Decent (not fantastic like OPO, not abysmal like the mate 2) ROM support. We have stock roms, paranoid android and CM11 + CM12 (buggy).
* The hardware is fantastic, this is a high end smartphone no question. Super fast with minimal UI latency in both apps and games.
* The screen is bloody brilliant for watching media (I watch movies and TV shows on it doing elliptical/stepper at the gym).
* Water resistant (nice to have, even if you don't care about it).
* The dock (additional $15 accessory from amazon) makes it convenient for charging (since the the water resistant ability makes it annoying to access the micro usb).
* Great battery life (if you babysit android properly - this applies to any android phone).
* Really light and really thin, BUT still feels very rugged and firm.

Cons:
* I find this phone a tad bit large, and I really like huge phones. It's just slightly past a point that is comfortably manageable (for me, as a 20-something year old male who is not hipster and wears regular jeans with regular size pant pockets). I would say 6" @ 70-75% screen/body ratio is the largest comfortably manageable size (i.e. Nexus 6, Lumia 1520 - both of which I also have).
* Water resistant makes it annoying as heck to access the micro USB (and by extension, the sealing mechanism will rip off eventually - happened to me already and got it replaced via sony care).
* The camera blows. Seriously the camera really sucks. I've tried many different apps; adjusting settings and it simply is lacking. There is no flash which doesn't help its case. Don't buy this if you care about taking pictures with your smartphone.
* Somewhat awkward ergonomically compared to some of my other phones. Feels a little top heavy sometimes, like it is going to drop forward (you get used it, though).
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2011
1554 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Was Z-Ultra actually had a different camera than Z1? Z1 is the best phone camera I ever had.... :)
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1422 posts
945 upvotes
Toronto
acbay21 wrote: Was Z-Ultra actually had a different camera than Z1? Z1 is the best phone camera I ever had.... :)
Z ultra has a older gen 8MP camera with no flash
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2011
1554 posts
458 upvotes
Toronto
Krispy1 wrote: Z ultra has a older gen 8MP camera with no flash
I could imagine how crappy it is now
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2013
2062 posts
2089 upvotes
Living the dream
82 wrote: This phone looks lovely on paper, shock to hear it has no flash. Can you really use a pencil with the touchscreen?
You can use a pencil and many other strange objects. The phone has no flash, but who actually uses flash on a smartphone? Pics in the dark always turn out awful. The camera is acceptable for mild usage. I've had the phone for 2 years and I love it.
The name is pronounced El‧u‧àr‧do. I am the ultimate deal hunter, y'all just gatherers. I was the first openly black man to get a Costco membership.
Aug 18, 2006
151 posts
51 upvotes
Kitchener
I think it depends on the situation; but even in low-light my Z ultra really sucks. In stark contrast, my Lumia 1520 takes brilliant photos in very low light conditions; it uses flash on almost every capture (even well lit ones) - i reckon to control its environment.
ElHoardo wrote: You can use a pencil and many other strange objects. The phone has no flash, but who actually uses flash on a smartphone? Pics in the dark always turn out awful. The camera is acceptable for mild usage. I've had the phone for 2 years and I love it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2008
1540 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
acbay21 wrote: Was Z-Ultra actually had a different camera than Z1? Z1 is the best phone camera I ever had.... :)
+1
I'm currently using the z2 (same camera as z1) and I must say the camera is one of the best I've used.
The physical camera button is one of the most underrated features for this phone.
But I kept thinking of the z ultra after switching to z2...