Automotive

Nearly 2 year wait for C8 corvette… will prices come down by then?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2022 3:00 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1625 posts
3387 upvotes
GTA

Nearly 2 year wait for C8 corvette… will prices come down by then?

Deposit placed in Oct. Was told there’s 110 people ahead of me and they get like 8-10 cars a month. So I’m looking at summer 2023 delivery.

You guys think the used market will still be on fire at that point? My deposit acts as a good hedge IMO. If used cars come down then I’ll refund deposit and buy used like I’ve always done. If used cars stay inflated then I’ll take the car at MSRP and enjoy it or flip it for profit if I somehow lose my job and my house burns down.

Also does anyone think it’s a bad idea for my situation? I’m 30 with a 1 yr old kid in GTA. My wife thinks that the car is super impractical because it’s obviously a two-seater and I can’t even take my daughter in it until she’s out of child seats.

Wife suggests to upgrade my daily (Mercedes E550) to something more fun instead of going for a two seater. Then buy the corvette in like 5-10 years. But I have some concerns about this: namely I don’t think the price will drop much for these cars especially as this is the end of ICE era.

Thoughts?
Last edited by lolbeast on Apr 16th, 2022 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
25 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2007
2370 posts
1445 upvotes
Vancouver
Market will probably cool down a little bit but 1-2 year old Corvette ain't going to depreciate that much also if somebody is selling after 1-2 years good chance it's been beat on because race car so you don't want somebody's seconds for near new money just be patient and get a new one if I were you.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
New car prices are probably only going to go up with time (inflation). The only thing is you'll be able to negotiate better when "stock" is a plenty. That said with the Vette, this may never happen with this generation anyway--they were having issues with production since the start.

In terms of used, the market will go back to normal in terms of depreciation but if Corvettes stay scarce, you're probably not going to see them go down in value [significantly] one the used side for several years I'd say.

Your wife is right, it's not at all practical, but probably better to buy one at 30 than when you get to 50+ (which is perhaps the age of majority of Vette buyers lol).

I wouldn't be that worried about there not being a Vette in the future. There probably always will be as long as GM is around; and, an electrified Vette will no doubt be one that outperforms this Vette in every dimension. That said, by that time a Vette will proabably also carry a $140k MSRP and a Civic will be like $50k, so yeahhh. I suppose there will be people willing to pay $$$ for a gasoline-powered car, the performance of an electric be damned, for childish nonsense like "the sound" and that crap, so you're right the Vette you buy now (or in a couple years), might end up being worth a lot just the same. I'd just stick with the order and see it through when it comes to you. In the meantime just save/invest money you would have been using for the car and...make more money.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
Your wife is always RIGHT Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

For daily drive, just swap into a caddy ct5-v blackwing. Close enough to a C8 per se and more practical
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2002
1737 posts
565 upvotes
Keep the corvette order, production is always a trickle compared to current demand. As opposed to more mainstream sedans and sports cars, where production will ramp up once the shortages are sorted out.

Only possible risk with a 2023-2024 delivery is current owners might dump there’s when the Z06 and ZR1 are released, “flooding” the market making the the chances of flipping a regular corvette less likely.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9924 posts
7087 upvotes
Mississauga
booblehead wrote: For daily drive, just swap into a caddy ct5-v blackwing. Close enough to a C8 per se and more practical
That’s why several years ago I owned a 2nd gen CTS-V: all the fun of the LS motor and the practicality of a sedan.
Mar 30, 2013
440 posts
249 upvotes
Petawawa
Can't you still take your daughter if you disable the airbag? Yes it's not the best idea but I take my kids around the block in my s2000 (also a two seater). If this is illegal - please chime in!

Keep the deposit. I'm very jealous. You'll make money. Like you said, enjoy the car and flip for profit.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
lolbeast wrote: Deposit placed in Oct. Was told there’s 110 people ahead of me and they get like 8-10 cars a month. So I’m looking at summer 2023 delivery.

You guys think the used market will still be on fire at that point? My deposit acts as a good hedge IMO. If used cars come down then I’ll refund deposit and buy used like I’ve always done. If used cars stay inflated then I’ll take the car at MSRP and enjoy it or flip it for profit if I somehow lose my job and my house burns down.

Also does anyone think it’s a bad idea for my situation? I’m 30 with a 1 yr old kid in GTA. My wife thinks that the car is super impractical because it’s obviously a two-seater and I can’t even take my daughter in it until she’s out of child seats.

Wife suggests to upgrade my daily (Mercedes E550) to something more fun instead of going for a two seater. Then buy the corvette in like 5-10 years. But I have some concerns about this: namely I don’t think the price will drop much for these cars especially as this is the end of ICE era.

Thoughts?
I've read that the chip shortage will be with us for another 18-24 months so I expect the used market to stay ridiculous. I just bit the bullet and ordered a new car because of the shrinking delta between new and used.

And your C8 is going to be amazing but agree with another poster that I would seriously consider the CT5V Blackwing - manual, if you can get it.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1625 posts
3387 upvotes
GTA
mrpricematch wrote: Can't you still take your daughter if you disable the airbag? Yes it's not the best idea but I take my kids around the block in my s2000 (also a two seater). If this is illegal - please chime in!

Keep the deposit. I'm very jealous. You'll make money. Like you said, enjoy the car and flip for profit.
Oh wow, yes I think I can!

In my previous coupe there was an option to disable passenger airbag and I had no idea why. This is huge brother, I hav me solid ammunition to face the wife now lol.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mrpricematch wrote: Can't you still take your daughter if you disable the airbag? Yes it's not the best idea but I take my kids around the block in my s2000 (also a two seater). If this is illegal - please chime in!

My kid has been riding in my GT3 since she was 4 in a car seat. Kids can ride in front as long as it’s only a 2 seater and most importantly the passenger airbag can be DISABLED. If not it is illegal and extremely dangerous for the child.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1209 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
lolbeast wrote: Oh wow, yes I think I can!

In my previous coupe there was an option to disable passenger airbag and I had no idea why. This is huge brother, I hav me solid ammunition to face the wife now lol.
Yes, disabling life saving features will certainly sway your wife into allowing you to take the child into that car Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Jruuu wrote: Yes, disabling life saving features will certainly sway your wife into allowing you to take the child into that car Face With Tears Of Joy
Having an active front airbag with a child in the seat is not life saving. Quite the opposite.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1209 posts
983 upvotes
Toronto
EP32k2 wrote: Having an active front airbag with a child in the seat is not life saving. Quite the opposite.
Well then good luck to the OP.

High prices and shortages are going to persist for the next few years. You can always flip it to another vet owner in waiting who wants one sooner rather than later.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
4100 posts
6124 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Prices might cool off, but come down? Doubtful.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
EP32k2 wrote: Having an active front airbag with a child in the seat is not life saving. Quite the opposite.
With children that are old enough to sit in the seat on their own, I believe the weight sensor will automatically take care of whether the airbag should go off or not. However with a car seat you'd have to disable it, as it seems you have done. But did you get an official Porsche switch installed (or does one already exist from the factory) or is it just permanently disabled? Because what happens when an adult sits in the car with you?
Deal Expert
Oct 7, 2010
15536 posts
5790 upvotes
It’s ok. Just disable the airbag and let them ride in the front. Really doubt you will crash anyways. Statistics shows that certain areas less likely to have crashes, so as long as you yourself don’t crash, then it’s fine.
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2016
2738 posts
1651 upvotes
Ontario
Won't be able to flip it till 6months/12000km after you get it...
Deal Addict
Apr 29, 2010
1625 posts
3387 upvotes
GTA
IcarusLSC wrote: Won't be able to flip it till 6months/12000km after you get it...
Why not? I see plenty of corvettes for sale with under 5k km
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lolbeast wrote: Why not? I see plenty of corvettes for sale with under 5k km
It's because the Dealership has a rule that once you buy a new car, it should be kept for 6months before selling.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)